Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a pitty Nadal could not get ready for South American clay swing this year. Build some confidence down there, get competitive, warm the engines. Then skip sunshine double and work his way slowly through all his usual schedule in Europe. Swapp Madrid for Barcelona. Now it feels like RG came too early and there was not enough time to wake up the beast.

However, this match against Zverev is still a head scratcher for many and all I know is Rafa won't be going down easy. If Zverev shows any sign of insecurity on the court, Rafa will bite and won't let him go. It's crucial that Rafa starts strong and sends the message to the other side (read: no weak ass spins falling in half way to baseline, but deep flat bombs instead).

I chose Zverev based on current form, but I won't be surprised if it goes the other way.
In the 2022 match Nadal had his DTL FH cooking that day although Rafa got off to a slow start. IMy concern is if Rafa is able to maintain his confidence and problem solving level at this point in his comeback if he gets off to a slower beginning than Zverev.

Reactions: don_fabio

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Ugo Humbert is the first seeded player out at the French Open. He is upset by Lorenzo Sonego. A missed opportunity for him, and this leaves Fils the only other player seeded in that section besides Tsitsipas and Rublev. A great opportunity for someone to get a first quarterfinal appearance in this section.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ugo Humbert is the first seeded player out at the French Open. He is upset by Lorenzo Sonego. A missed opportunity for him, and this leaves Fils the only other player seeded in that section besides Tsitsipas and Rublev. A great opportunity for someone to get a first quarterfinal appearance in this section.
Italian Sonego can play on clay so I am not suprised by the result

Reactions: kskate2

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Not watching Hurkacz, but he's going to a 5th set and, just giving an example here of big hitters, I don't think he'd beat Nadal here at all with the far bigger court.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jon Wertheim messed me up on that one! And you...didn't you tell me he hadn't had the results lately? Anyway, Wertheim chided Roddick for picking against the local, so I went with Humbert. I blame JW! :-)2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Jon Wertheim messed me up on that one! And you...didn't you tell me he hadn't had the results lately? Anyway, Wertheim chided Roddick for picking against the local, so I went with Humbert. I blame JW! :-)2
Jon Wertheim is just a journalist not a tennis analyst..he sticks with tennis because it's the only sports swim lane he is allowed to be tolerated. He tried to cover basketball years ago but got ran out of NBA coverage. Just stick with @kskate2 Keli, she is our unbiased tennis guru

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes of late he hasnt had good results still he can play on well on clay usually I would have picked Sonego over Humbert on clay

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For over a decade Richard Gasquet has been struggling with a 'chronic back injury.Left the Top 100 went back to challengers
At 38 yo he plays because he loves the sport
On MP Gasquet unleashes that wonderful bhand down the line winner we have all witnessed over the years
Gasquet WC d Coric 76(5) 76(2) 64

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
For over a decade Richard Gasquet has been struggling with a 'chronic back injury.Left the Top 100 went back to challengers
At 38 yo he plays because he loves the sport
On MP Gasquet unleashes that wonderful bhand down the line winner we have all witnessed over the years
Gasquet WC d Coric 76(5) 76(2) 64
Great job by Richie to get on the board of his home slam, but what has happened to Borna?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great job by Richie to get on the board of his home slam, but what has happened to Borna?
I have always had a soft spot for Ritchie, Borna's game to me suits the HC better than clay and his form of late has been disappointing

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Muzz looks slow across the net from Wawa. That's saying something cuz Stan is 39

• Haha
Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Boris Bosnjakovic will be Novak Djokovic's coach at Roland Garros this year, Boris has been a part of Novak's technical team
Nenad Zimonjic, Novaks long time friend, travelled with Novak to MC and Rome but he wont be the long term solution for the position of Novak's coach

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Muzz looks slow across the net from Wawa. That's saying something cuz Stan is 39
Wawa-We-Wa, izzzzzzz niiiiice ! I like!

borat-borat-very-nice.gif

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I was there live with my cousins apart from thinking of jumping off the Eiffel Tower I thought about taking drugs, drink etc
I mean who loses to John Isner on clay? I would rather watch wet paint dry!
Shit like this can only happen in tennis. Didn't Steffi Graf one year in her prime lose in R1 at Wimbledon to Lori McNeil?

Status
Not open for further replies.