Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The worst match I can remember at RG and I have gone many times live was when John Isner pushed Rafa to 5 sets in his opening match at RG
I was ready to go and jump off the Eiffel Tower! if Rafa lost! :)
I recall that match.. It was as if Rafa woke up late and didnt get his mojo rolling until late. That was a different Rafa meaning he didnt have any known injuries.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I recall that match.. It was as if Rafa woke up late and didnt get his mojo rolling until late. That was a different Rafa meaning he didnt have any known injuriesI was th

I was there live with my cousins apart from thinking of jumping off the Eiffel Tower I thought about taking drugs, drink etc
I mean who loses to John Isner on clay? I would rather watch wet paint dry!

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually, Zverev is probably more ideal than Sinner, Alcaraz, or even Tsitsipas - all of whom won't be quite as mentally fearful of Rafa as Zverev might be.

A second concern is that Rafa keeps it to 3-4 sets. A grueling 5 setter at the beginning of the tournament could be problematic, given that old bodies don't recover as quickly.

On the other hand, Rafa's never lost in five sets at Roland Garros...so it gets to five, he's got to be the favorite. I just don't think Sascha will be able to mentally withstand that pressure, and we know Rafa can dig deep if he has to.

Anyhow, we'll know more soon!
There could have been worse first rounds, but not many. Obviously, Zverev won't be relishing this first round, either. Rafa's going to have to shorten the points, because Zverev won't. He likes the long, tedious points, anyway. (I say "tedious" because I find his game tedious.) They posted a story on the ATP site today about this particular first round match, so I was reminded that that match was at 3 1/4 hours and just about to go to a TB in the SECOND set when Sascha rolled his ankle. Yes, I had to read that twice.

I agree that Rafa could survive that kind of a match, but at what cost? Pick up an injury? He picks them up like loose change these days. He's going to have to be aggressive, and, frankly, hope that Zverev has nerves and the yips on his serve, (as @don_fabio kindly put the whammy on him for.) Everyone has nerves in the first round of a Major, they keep telling us, and Zverev has got to have pressure to do well.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There could have been worse first rounds, but not many. Obviously, Zverev won't be relishing this first round, either. Rafa's going to have to shorten the points, because Zverev won't. He likes the long, tedious points, anyway. (I say "tedious" because I find his game tedious.) They posted a story on the ATP site today about this particular first round match, so I was reminded that that match was at 3 1/4 hours and just about to go to a TB in the SECOND set when Sascha rolled his ankle. Yes, I had to read that twice.

I agree that Rafa could survive that kind of a match, but at what cost? Pick up an injury? He picks them up like loose change these days. He's going to have to be aggressive, and, frankly, hope that Zverev has nerves and the yips on his serve, (as @don_fabio kindly put the whammy on him for.) Everyone has nerves in the first round of a Major, they keep telling us, and Zverev has got to have pressure to do well.
Yes, good analysis. And I also find Zverev's game tedious. There's no...artistry?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Two potential 4R matches that could be really intriguing: Zverev vs Rune and Tsitsipas vs Rublev.

Three of those players won the Clay M1000 tournaments and the other player has reached back to back RG QF (Rune). We are talking about huge opportunities well these will be HUGE opportunities for all of those players especially Tsitsipas and Zverev. No more excuses for those two players.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, good analysis. And I also find Zverev's game tedious. There's no...artistry?
There really isn't, right? That's what it lacks. How often does he actually thrill you? Leaving aside everything that I find egregious about him, personally, it's his game that bores me, and that's an offense. I'm sorry, but one of his "talents" is being 6'6". Nice to be defensive and have a huge wingspan, and a big serve. But he's rather allergic to the net. He's great moving side-to-side, but not so much north-to-south. Medvedev is similarly gifted in the height and wingspan department, but he mixes it up with unconventional play.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Two potential 4R matches that could be really intriguing: Zverev vs Rune and Tsitsipas vs Rublev.

Three of those players won the Clay M1000 tournaments and the other player has reached back to back RG QF (Rune). We are talking about huge opportunities well these will be HUGE opportunities for all of those players especially Tsitsipas and Zverev. No more excuses for those two players.
I'm going to try not to be mad at you for even considering that Zverev gets out of his first round match. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Look, I think we've all realized that this Roland Garros, for the first time in YEARS is the land of opportunity. There are more than a couple of players who should be ashamed of themselves if they don't take their best shot. I still haven't even examined the draw.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There really isn't, right? That's what it lacks. How often does he actually thrill you? Leaving aside everything that I find egregious about him, personally, it's his game that bores me, and that's an offense. I'm sorry, but one of his "talents" is being 6'6". Nice to be defensive and have a huge wingspan, and a big serve. But he's rather allergic to the net. He's great moving side-to-side, but not so much north-to-south. Medvedev is similarly gifted in the height and wingspan department, but he mixes it up with unconventional play.
One thing that I like about Medvedev is that when he is down in the match or tight moments , he goes for “it” aggressively or he enters IDGAF mode.

In contrast, when Zverev is in tight situations, he gets more passive and is scared to hit through ball. In my head, “What type of tennis is this?!”

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One thing that I like about Medvedev is that when he is down in the match or tight moments , he goes for “it” aggressively or he enters IDGAF mode.

In contrast, when Zverev is in tight situations, he gets more passive and is scared to hit through ball. In my head, “What type of tennis is this?!”
That's an interesting point, and probably the difference between having a Major, and just having a really impressive career.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's an interesting point, and probably the difference between having a Major, and just having a really impressive career.
It’s not even that but Medvedev has 6 slam finals compared to one for Zverev. Also, their AO SF encounter this year was the perfect example on why Zverev and Medvedev are in their positions (in terms of career accomplishments).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Zverev plays Head Case tennis when he is under the pump, quite frankly he plays HC tennis on clay, and most surfaces ,which bores me to tears, he never really mixes it up

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Trying to work my way through the draw. Given the dangerous floaters this year, it's hard to gauge it, until they place the qualifiers. Though, Novak does seem to have a good path to working himself into form.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Trying to work my way through the draw. Given the dangerous floaters this year, it's hard to gauge it, until they place the qualifiers. Though, Novak does seem to have a good path to working himself into form.
Out of the top 4 seeds Novak gets a favorable draw

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
When has Novak's path been difficult, maybe 2017 or 2018 vs Thiem ?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Y'all sure holding out for your boy toy to get his game together. Maybe it's time to start talking about the curse of that Netflix's documentary series.. Everyone that has been featured has fallen but Sabalenka
LEAVE US ALONE. Do I harp on you for holding up your scrubs? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher
Status
Not open for further replies.