Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think he can win, just that it will be tough - and he's not the favorite, imo. Zverev is coming off a Rome title and playing very well. He's also been handling the grind of the tour. Rafa is, on the other hand, well, you know.
Yeah, yeah, I know. But, as you say, Zverev has issues. Plus, there'll be the PTSD when he gets back on Chartrier and sees Rafa on the other side of the net. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: El Dude

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner was practicing against Hurkacz today, these 2 players are projected to play against each other in the QFs.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will post the projected QFs for Roland Garros,

(1) Djokovic vs Ruud (7)
(2) Sinner vs Hurkacz (8)
(3) Alcaraz vs Rublev (6)
(4) Zverev vs Medvedev (5)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
For starters, I think Fils is going to make the quarters over Rublev/Tsitsipas. Fils isn't going to get an easier draw to the quarters than this one. If he is going to be something special, he needs to make a run now. All the great players have made at least one slam quarterfinal as a teenager. Fils turns 20 on June 12.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For starters, I think Fils is going to make the quarters over Rublev/Tsitsipas. Fils isn't going to get an easier draw to the quarters than this one. If he is going to be something special, he needs to make a run now. All the great players have made at least one slam quarterfinal as a teenager. Fils turns 20 on June 12.
I am not sure about that, Fils hasnt been playing all that well of late, we will see,
Stef has a better record on clay, and dont forget Rublev won Madrid.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am hoping Rune can find his game and his mind on clay, he has been disappointing, and we all know he can play on clay, he just has to have more patience on clay for starters, and get into a rally before pulling the trigger.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hopefully the projected QFs will not sit well with the RG tennis Gods
Rafa won his practice session with Meddy earlier today, actually he has won all his practice sessions so far, though you cant gauge a practice session against a match

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, yeah, I know. But, as you say, Zverev has issues. Plus, there'll be the PTSD when he gets back on Chartrier and sees Rafa on the other side of the net. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Actually, Zverev is probably more ideal than Sinner, Alcaraz, or even Tsitsipas - all of whom won't be quite as mentally fearful of Rafa as Zverev might be.

A second concern is that Rafa keeps it to 3-4 sets. A grueling 5 setter at the beginning of the tournament could be problematic, given that old bodies don't recover as quickly.

On the other hand, Rafa's never lost in five sets at Roland Garros...so it gets to five, he's got to be the favorite. I just don't think Sascha will be able to mentally withstand that pressure, and we know Rafa can dig deep if he has to.

Anyhow, we'll know more soon!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I wouldn't put money on that ! Typically French players have miserable records at RG and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, Zverev is probably more ideal than Sinner, Alcaraz, or even Tsitsipas - all of whom won't be quite as mentally fearful of Rafa as Zverev might be.

A second concern is that Rafa keeps it to 3-4 sets. A grueling 5 setter at the beginning of the tournament could be problematic, given that old bodies don't recover as quickly.

On the other hand, Rafa's never lost in five sets at Roland Garros...so it gets to five, he's got to be the favorite. I just don't think Sascha will be able to mentally withstand that pressure, and we know Rafa can dig deep if he has to.

Anyhow, we'll know more soon!
Agree Rafa playing a 5 setter in the first round is not ideal, Sasha in 5 set matches mentally he is weak as water

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I personally don't think Fils will be "something special," just a very good player - a second tier type, but not an elite. Just my opinion, though. Obviously he's got room to grow and could prove me wrong, but if I'm betting on upside, of non-Slam winners, I like Rune, Mensik, and maybe Fonseca better, with the caveat that it is too soon to tell, especially for the latter two.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The worst match I can remember at RG and I have gone many times live was when John Isner pushed Rafa to 5 sets in his opening match at RG
I was ready to go and jump off the Eiffel Tower! if Rafa lost! :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Alcaraz had a good practice session today against Tsitsipas, he is still wearing 'the sleeve' though it didnt hampered the way he was striking the ball.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I personally don't think Fils will be "something special," just a very good player - a second tier type, but not an elite. Just my opinion, though. Obviously he's got room to grow and could prove me wrong, but if I'm betting on upside, of non-Slam winners, I like Rune, Mensik, and maybe Fonseca better, with the caveat that it is too soon to tell, especially for the latter two.
I agree on Mensik and Fonseca, they have more upside than Fils. However, I think Rune might be an even bigger head case than Tsitsipas. Rune has all the talent to be great, but it doesn't seem like he is working to improve his game. How many more years are we going to give Rune a pass for this?

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree on Mensik and Fonseca, they have more upside than Fils. However, I think Rune might be an even bigger head case than Tsitsipas. Rune has all the talent to be great, but it doesn't seem like he is working to improve his game. How many more years are we going to give Rune a pass for this?
Well, he literally just turned 21, which is Roger in August of 2002 when he only had the one Masters and hadn't made it past a Slam QF. But I hear you. I am going on upside right now - and his is as high as anyone's (including Alcaraz and Sinner). I kind of see him as a combination of Wawrinka and Kyrgios, in terms of loads of unfulfilled talent and possible late blooming. We might forget about him, or at least write him off as a temperamental headcase, and he has a come to Jesus moment and starts winning big time in 2026 (or whenever).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, he literally just turned 21, which is Roger in August of 2002 when he only had the one Masters and hadn't made it past a Slam QF. But I hear you. I am going on upside right now - and his is as high as anyone's (including Alcaraz and Sinner). I kind of see him as a combination of Wawrinka and Kyrgios, in terms of loads of unfulfilled talent and possible late blooming. We might forget about him, or at least write him off as a temperamental headcase, and he has a come to Jesus moment and starts winning big time in 2026 (or whenever).
I also think with Rune he has had too many coaching changes especially this year? yes he has to watch his temper, he has just turned 21 and players improve at their own pace and develop? not ours? he has great upside, I for one are not going to say he might be a bigger headcase than Tsitsipas or Zverev at this point in time!as long as he dosent feel 'entitled' like Tsitsipas or Zverev I will be fine with his attitude :)

Last edited:
Reactions: El Dude
Status
Not open for further replies.