Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like Jon Wertheim, and I don't see why you have to be so rude to him. He picked Rafa to win tomorrow. You could nicer. :)
I'm just giving you grief. My point is that he's on Rafa's side, so you should cut him some slack. :smooch:

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stan from out of the files w/ some vintage stuff dismisses Muzz in straights. And then a little bromance at the net. Who knew Wawa had it in him?
A few oldsters made it through today. Ok, this one was going to be a veteran, either way, but also Gasquet and Nishikori. Hoping the pattern holds for Rafa tomorrow. :) :popcorn

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djere and Altmeier barely into the 2nd set at 1:15am in Paris. That seems like a slog. Trying to imagine how many people stayed to watch. Now that RG has lights, they seem determined to use them.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Kei Nishorki had back injuries in his match today had the trainer out, it has been a ongoing problem for Kei
Kei back hurt from all those millions of endorsement dollars he has to lurg around. Question will Kei or Thiem be a Tennis HOFr? My response is Dominic Thiem is on the edge for sure but will eventually get in. The Glass Samurai will not make it.

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
A few oldsters made it through today. Ok, this one was going to be a veteran, either way, but also Gasquet and Nishikori. Hoping the pattern holds for Rafa tomorrow. :) :popcorn
Rafa has been holding service at the same rate (70 plus) as RG 22 championship level but his break of service is around 30 percent. ( 22 it was mid 40s). That's why he has to get out to a fast start and break Sacha Zverev at a higher percentage

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa has been holding service at the same rate (70 plus) as RG 22 championship level but his break of service is around 30 percent. ( 22 it was mid 40s). That's why he has to get out to a fast start and break Sacha Zverev at a higher percentage
Break of service rate has been one of Rafa's cash cows. He HAS to break Zverev, and, frankly, he could use a poor serving day from Zverev. Get on top of him early, and give him the yips on serve. Sitting back will not do. Rafa also has to have a good serving day, relying on the spot-serve.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kei back hurt from all those millions of endorsement dollars he has to lurg around. Question will Kei or Thiem be a Tennis HOFr? My response is Dominic Thiem is on the edge for sure but will eventually get in. The Glass Samurai will not make it.
I don't see how Nishikori is a candidate for HoF. I don't think Thiem is, either. He won one Major. He's more of a "what if."

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't see how Nishikori is a candidate for HoF. I don't think Thiem is, either. He won one Major. He's more of a "what if."
How many grand slams does Andy Roddick have ? How many ladies are in the HOF with one grand slams championship? Look at Dominic Thiem record vs the big 3,

Dominic is definitely a HOFr

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How many grand slams does Andy Roddick have ? How many ladies are in the HOF with one grand slams championship? Look at Dominic Thiem record vs the big 3,

Dominic is definitely a HOFr

I'm fine if you want to make your case. I don't care that much about the HoF.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
@Moxie I watched a good part of Jarry's match. Yes, he was nervous. And he got more nervous due to Moutets unconventional play (and cocky attitude, backed by the crowd).

Moutet did play a helluva match, as much as I hate to admit it, as the guy is a complete jerk. The way he was smilling when the crowd was disturbing Jarry's serve was despicable.

Jarry got progressively frustrated with everything, tried to solve it all adding more power to his shots. It only made him miss them even more.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Round 1, Monday, May 27, 2024

1716773423332.png

1716773516057.png

• Wow
Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Domi will not be a first ballot HOF as he never reached #1. Samurai most assuredly won't get in even after several years.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Moxie I watched a good part of Jarry's match. Yes, he was nervous. And he got more nervous due to Moutets unconventional play (and cocky attitude, backed by the crowd).

Moutet did play a helluva match, as much as I hate to admit it, as the guy is a complete jerk. The way he was smilling when the crowd was disturbing Jarry's serve was despicable.

Jarry got progressively frustrated with everything, tried to solve it all adding more power to his shots. It only made him miss them even more.
Thanks for the recap, @mrzz. I was wondering. I know it's not easy to play a Frenchman at RG. And I know Jarry plays with very little margin. His game does need confidence, with those huge shots. Maybe also the pressure of coming in with people looking at him to do well? Anyway, I'm sorry for him. He's a good guy, and I like his powerful game. Not to be mistaken for a ball-basher. He's a much more interesting player than that.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Thanks for the recap, @mrzz. I was wondering. I know it's not easy to play a Frenchman at RG. And I know Jarry plays with very little margin. His game does need confidence, with those huge shots. Maybe also the pressure of coming in with people looking at him to do well? Anyway, I'm sorry for him. He's a good guy, and I like his powerful game. Not to be mistaken for a ball-basher. He's a much more interesting player than that.

It's so interesting the phenomenon of French athletes who's skills aren't conducive to extended success or any kind of consistency, but to perform that once or twice using their French passions to make a name for themselves w/o being on top! Heaven knows it happened in figure skating w/ Philippe Candelora & Surya Bonaly! For the most part he stunk, never really reaching his potential, but he still captured 2 Olympic Bronze medals! Same w/ Surya where she never got the acceptance of her peers or so called experts who constantly criticized her skills & technique! She still won 5 Europeans & took 3 Silver medals at Worlds! In tennis there are so many of these guys! OTTH we have to acknowledge the underachievements of Leconte, Gasquet, Monfils, Tsonga, w/ a single FO win by Yannick Noah! Just a short rant on the subject! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :angry-face: :face-with-head-bandage:

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Break of service rate has been one of Rafa's cash cows. He HAS to break Zverev, and, frankly, he could use a poor serving day from Zverev. Get on top of him early, and give him the yips on serve. Sitting back will not do. Rafa also has to have a good serving day, relying on the spot-serve.
Rafa sometimes forgets he is a Lefty and doesn't take pure advantage when he is serving. E.g.Feli has a nasty lefty spin, slice and kick service that pulls his opponents out of place. I agree with you, he has to hit his spot and punish Zverev with his DTL FH early. I expect Rafa to do more serve and volley to prevent Sacha Zverev from relaxing on the baseline to hit passing shots whenever Rafa balls drop short.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's so interesting the phenomenon of French athletes who's skills aren't conducive to extended success or any kind of consistency, but to perform that once or twice using their French passions to make a name for themselves w/o being on top! Heaven knows it happened in figure skating w/ Philippe Candelora & Surya Bonaly! For the most part he stunk, never really reaching his potential, but he still captured 2 Olympic Bronze medals! Same w/ Surya where she never got the acceptance of her peers or so called experts who constantly criticized her skills & technique! She still won 5 Europeans & took 3 Silver medals at Worlds! In tennis there are so many of these guys! OTTH we have to acknowledge the underachievements of Leconte, Gasquet, Monfils, Tsonga, w/ a single FO win by Yannick Noah! Just a short rant on the subject! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :angry-face: :face-with-head-bandage:
JowillieTs just didn't have the confidence in his BH and couldn't catch the big 3 during an off GS like Cilic and JMDP did a couple of times. Monfils NEVER wanted to really win a GS. He may one day look back at his career and regret not being dedicated. It's a shame because his wifey really wants to win but she is a player with limited playing abilities who hasn't caught a break during the off GS of the top 5 ranked players at the top of the WTA

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nice to see a little of the old magic from Ralf to get to 1-1 in the 2nd set. Hopefully we’ll see more. His mobility is not what it used to be.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa sometimes forgets he is a Lefty and doesn't take pure advantage when he is serving. E.g.Feli has a nasty lefty spin, slice and kick service that pulls his opponents out of place. I agree with you, he has to hit his spot and punish Zverev with his DTL FH early. I expect Rafa to do more serve and volley to prevent Sacha Zverev from relaxing on the baseline to hit passing shots whenever Rafa balls drop short.
Great start by Sacha Zverev as Expected! Rafa not playing badly, really just needs to weather tropical storm Sacha and try to mix in some slice to change the rhythm of the ball speeds..

Status
Not open for further replies.