WTA Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
So from here on out it looks like all the singles matches will be on Chatrier and Lenglen.

Kanepi/Martic to start us off on Chatrier. Stephens/Muguruza to finish it off.
Sevastova/Vondrousova should start Lenglen off with a cracker of a match. And Vekic/Konta will follow.

Opportunities to be had by all. Martic looking great. Looking to get to her first slam quarter at 28. Kanepi looking for her third quarter here. First since 2012 (which was her last slam before a long injury layoff that didn't see her play a slam again until the next year's RG. Should be a good match. They've never played though. So that's fun.

I'd say the match of the day is between the former champ and last year's finalist. And, it is. By ranking and fan support. But all four matches should be really good. And this one could be a dud. I can see Muguruza thumping Sloane. Or Muguruza going back into her slump and Sloane walking away in straights. Though I do think it'll be a 3 set affair and a good match. At least I hope so. Though I just want Sloane to win. So if Muguruza has to suck for that to happen. I guess I'm ok with it. Though you always want your player to have to win against a player at or near their best.
I don't see Vondrousova or Sevastova running away with it. But Sevastova had her long match against Mertens. She's had the day to rest. But we'll see if it was enough.
And I think Konta and Vekic will have to battle. But either one could just thump the other. We've seen both do that this week. And they are probably the two most rested players in either draw. Have both probably had the easiest draws. Bencic can never be considered easy. But Vekic thumped her like she was. Bencic had to play Siegemund over two days though. Even if the second day was only... like 2 or 4 games. They've split six meetings. 3 on grass and 3 on hard. 2 on grass to Konta. 2 on hard courts to Vekic. I guess Konta with the greater experience over all and on clay. But she's not a clay warrior by any means. We shall see.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Serena needs to take our advice play a lead up tournament,starting with the grass this year.

I just don't see that happening. She has basically never played a Wimbledon warmup. She played Eastbourne in 1998 and 2011. It was her first tournament back after the foot injury in 2011. That's it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just don't see that happening. She has basically never played a Wimbledon warmup. She played Eastbourne in 1998 and 2011. It was her first tournament back after the foot injury in 2011. That's it.

Things have changed in Serena's life,she just said 'she is far away from her form'.....yes she has had injury problems this year,also being a mother is a full time job,regardless of a career.As Kskate has stated before she cannot just go into a tournament and expect to win it anymore,her age is also a factor.Grass is one of her best surfaces,she is a top grass player,still she needs to find form before a Grand Slam.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Has anyone seen Kenin play at this high level?
Yes. She actually played pretty well earlier this year when she won her title in Hobart. She had Halep on the ropes in Aus and let the moment get to her. Maybe she learned her lesson from that match and the Fed Cup she played against Timea.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes. She actually played pretty well earlier this year when she won her title in Hobart. She had Halep on the ropes in Aus and let the moment get to her. Maybe she learned her lesson from that match and the Fed Cup she played against Timea.

I forgot about her winning the title in Hobart,her game seems to translate well on the clay

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
So world number 1 Osaka who is currently holding 2 slams loses in the 3rd round. The media will make Serena's loss a bigger deal because that's what they do.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Results for Round 3 Day 7 - Saturday, June 1, 2019
upload_2019-6-1_14-50-51.png

upload_2019-6-1_14-51-44.png

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
So world number 1 Osaka who is currently holding 2 slams loses in the 3rd round. The media will make Serena's loss a bigger deal because that's what they do.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing,maybe Serena should have skipped RG this year and got herself fit for the grass,her movement today was way off.

Reactions: Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Hindsight is a wonderful thing,maybe Serena should have skipped RG this year and got herself fit for the grass,her movement today was way off.
I agree w/ that in part. Look at this way, if she had skipped RG, she would've turned up in London w/o any matches. At least coming to Paris, she got 3 matches in and has a gauge of where she needs to improve.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree w/ that in part. Look at this way, if she had skipped RG, she would've turned up in London w/o any matches. At least coming to Paris, she got 3 matches in and has a gauge of where she needs to improve.

I agree having played matches at RG,will indicate the area's she will need to improve,though as you know playing matches,not just practicing,is where you can find form....lets hope she plays a lead up tournament before Wimbledon.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I agree having played matches at RG,will indicate the area's she will need to improve,though as you know playing matches,not just practicing,is where you can find form....lets hope she plays a lead up tournament before Wimbledon.
Oh believe me I know. She knows it too, but feels she will find her form during the tournament as she plays matches. Like we've said a ton of times, what worked when you're younger doesn't always work now that you're older and after childbirth. I actually think getting to 2 slam finals last year didn't do her any favors. It built up a false confidence that she doesn't need any warmups to find her best form.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh believe me I I know. She knows it too, but feels she will find her form during the tournament as she plays matches. Like we've said a ton of times, what worked when you're younger doesn't always work now that you're older and after childbirth. I actually think getting to 2 slam finals last year didn't do her any favors. It built a up a false confidence that she doesn't need any warmups to find her best form.

Maybe she needs to talk to Roger Federer:)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena's thoughts in her press conference

'I'm definitely feeling short on matches,and just getting in the swing of things.I have some time on my hands,so maybe I'll jump in and get a wildcard on one of these grass court events and see what happens'

Just read that on twitter.

Reactions: tossip

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Order of Play for Round 4 Sunday, June 2, 2019
upload_2019-6-1_15-9-18.png

upload_2019-6-1_15-15-2.png

upload_2019-6-1_15-12-32.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-1_15-6-52.png
    upload_2019-6-1_15-6-52.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 40
  • upload_2019-6-1_15-8-8.png
    upload_2019-6-1_15-8-8.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 44

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena's thoughts in her press conference

'I'm definitely feeling short on matches,and just getting in the swing of things.I have some time on my hands,so maybe I'll jump in and get a wildcard on one of these grass court events and see what happens'

Just read that on twitter.
Hallelujah. She's been reading our posts. :D:lulz2:

Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena needs matches she should try doubles to start with..during her match she was not moving her feet at all.Her game is still there all she needs are matches to build confidence look at Vika she is improving with every match..

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena is a b****, she thinks that she is the best person, the best woman and the best mother but she should have to learn to have better temperament when she loss

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And of course Thiem wasn't very happy....

Status
Not open for further replies.