US Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently they are not closing the roof for heat, only for rain. This is the weather in NY for late summer. When I went it was absolutely smokin.
The roof was closed on Saba's match, Saba actually said at the end of her match it helped her?

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ben Shelton finishes off his win over RBA with the fastest serve of the match 141., 63 64 64, 20/20 service points in the final set and will play Frances Tiafoe in the 3rd round

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The roof was closed on Saba's match, Saba actually said at the end of her match it helped her?
I’m not sure but it’s possible that they moved the roof but didn’t close. They did that for Tiafoe’s match….just to shade the court. I’ve never once heard of a roof being closed at the USO for heat.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m not sure but it’s possible that they moved the roof but didn’t close. They did that for Tiafoe’s match….just to shade the court. I’ve never once heard of a roof being closed at the USO for heat.
Saba was asked how she felt in the heat? she said having the roof closed helped?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I havent been able to post here for over 1 hour? just got back online here now
Lorenso you were very lucky in your match pick up that bloody pink shirt and burn it Pronto!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Play on granstand suspended apparently a thunder storm is looming, and it is raining match between Monfils v Ruud
Ruud leads 2 sets to 1

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good grief Matteo after saying how 'clutch' you have been recently in TBs this is just poor from you, Fritz wins the 2nd set 76(1)
Fritz leads Berrettini 2 sets to love, oh well there goes my Upset Alert Match down the drain, I cant see Matteo coming back from 2 sets to love down to win the match, he still wears Boss better than Fritz, something in his favor :)
I have to give credit when it is due a flawless performance from Fritz so far! seeing and hitting the ball so cleanly!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Monfils and Rudd warming up now on Grandstand
4 games all in the 4th set with Monfils serving

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A Impressive display of tennis from Taylor Fritz defeating Berrettini 63 76(1) 61!
Just looking at Fritz quarter, really noone can beat him, especially after this performance

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djere retired in his match against Djokovic 64 64 20, Djokovic advances to round 3
Djokovic will face Popyrin in round 3

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m sure you’re reported this accurately, but I think there might be a semantic problem. The Open’s policy is that it’s an outdoor tournament. https://www.usopen.org/amp/en_US/ne.../rules_of_the_roof_when_to_close_and_why.html

This changed last year:
I’d be surprised if they’d suddenly started closing the roof for heat. I think they may have adjusted the placement of the roof to add shade, without fully closing it.

EDIT: That’s what they did. Closed it part-way for shade. Quote from Aetna: “On the conditions: "A half-closed roof definitely helped a lot. When I came out onto the court I was saying 'thanks' to the person who did it because this is really helpful.”

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m sure you’re reported this accurately, but I think there might be a semantic problem. The Open’s policy is that it’s an outdoor tournament. https://www.usopen.org/amp/en_US/ne.../rules_of_the_roof_when_to_close_and_why.html

This changed last year:
I’d be surprised if they’d suddenly started closing the roof for heat. I think they may have adjusted the placement of the roof to add shade, without fully closing it.

EDIT: That’s what they did. Closed it part-way for shade. Quote from Aetna: “On the conditions: "A half-closed roof definitely helped a lot. When I came out onto the court I was saying 'thanks' to the person who did it because this is really helpful.”
I can only report what Sabalenka said?
Also the AO policy is similar regarding being an outdoor tournament, though when the air temp and the temp on the court is very high and quite unplayable an official comes down on the court to check the temp of the court and humidity I have been at the AO when the temps have been 43c and play is stopped on Rod Laver and the other 2 courts with roofs and air con is put on, to cool down and the roof closed I mean noone should have to play in those conditions quite frankly and for the fans it is just too umcomfortable, after the cooling down of a stadium the air con is turned off.
I think officials have to be sensible and allow the rules to change on the changing climate conditions in a tournament for both the safety of players, physical wise and also for the fans, I have seen fans faint in high temps and high humidity in stadiums

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mens Singles R3 Bottom half,

Ruud (8) vs Shang
Fritz (12) vs Comesana
Musetti (18) vs Nakashima

Rublev (6) vs Lehecka (32)
Dimitrov (9) vs Griekspoor
Shelton (13) vs Taifoe (20)
Djokovic (2) vs Popyrin (28)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can only report what Sabalenka said?
Also the AO policy is similar regarding being an outdoor tournament, though when the air temp and the temp on the court is very high and quite unplayable an official comes down on the court to check the temp of the court and humidity I have been at the AO when the temps have been 43c and play is stopped on Rod Laver and the other 2 courts with roofs and air con is put on, to cool down and the roof closed I mean noone should have to play in those conditions quite frankly and for the fans it is just too umcomfortable, after the cooling down of a stadium the air con is turned off.
I think officials have to be sensible and allow the rules to change on the changing climate conditions in a tournament for both the safety of players, physical wise and also for the fans, I have seen fans faint in high temps and high humidity in stadiums
As I said, I don’t question that you were reporting what you heard, and it’s easy to see the miscommunication possibilities between partly closing and fully closing roof.

I know down in Oz they do close roofs and use a/c when needed. This year in NYC, with the exception of yesterday, we’re supposed to have mostly mild weather.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As I said, I don’t question that you were reporting what you heard, and it’s easy to see the miscommunication possibilities between partly closing and fully closing roof.

I know down in Oz they do close roofs and use a/c when needed. This year in NYC, with the exception of yesterday, we’re supposed to have mostly mild weather.
I saw the weather forecast in NYC regarding mostly mild weather, that is unusual for NYC this time of year, usually it is hot and humid.

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
It must be all the rain falling in the Sahara Desert driving all this crazy weather:

The tennis players will take it, though. However, this probably means heat in the back half of September and early October.