US Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
since when has the US Open men's final changed it's time? I thought it was 4pm New York time start. What's the reason?
We're in the 3rd set. Del Potro just won the 2nd set tiebreak to level the match at a set a piece. Is it his day today? Or is Roger going to claim a 6th straight US Open title?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude,

Gil made an interesting remark towards the end of his podcast, he stated that it would be hard for players currently ranked 5-15 in the world to win majors,? do you agree with Gil

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Vince,
I just googled why the USO Mens Final was earlier this year.
The USO Mens Final will be shown on ABC for the first time this year.
ABC is a free to air channel so the viewer ship could be higher than prior years which had been on cable's ESPN
However, the 2pm air time does concide with NFLS opening weekend,
So that was the reason it was aired earlier.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I cannot believe Roger didn't put this match away. Del Potro wins the 4th set in a tiebreaker, and we're going 5.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I cannot believe Roger didn't put this match away. Del Potro wins the 4th set in a tiebreaker, and we're going 5.
Why are you posting the match between Del Potro and Federer on the current USO post of Mens 2024,? it is not current BTW
Keep to the Current post USO Mens USO thanks.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Why are you posting the match between Del Potro and Federer on the current USO post of Mens 2024,? it is not current BTW
Keep to the Current post USO Mens USO thanks.
I got bored and decided to go back in time 15 years. I totally was not expecting that 5th set.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I got bored and decided to go back in time 15 years. I totally was not expecting that 5th set.
Take your boredom somewhere else thanks, because that match it not applicable to the 2024 Mens USO final post
If you have something to post on the current mens final we witnessed go ahead

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude,

Gil made an interesting remark towards the end of his podcast, he stated that it would be hard for players currently ranked 5-15 in the world to win majors,? do you agree with Gil
I haven't listened to his latest, so am not sure what he's referring to. Right now 1-4 are are Sinner, Zverev, Alcaraz, and Djokovic. One of those guys is an outlier, and I think there are several other players with similar or better chances as Zverev--Medvedev, certainly, and maybe several others are close.

That said, Sinner and Alcaraz have really separated themselves from the pack. Right now Novak is the only one that I could conceivably see beating them for a Slam title, though the further we get from his last, the less likely it seems. I suppose someone like Hurkacz could catch fire at Wimbledon and do a "Cilic 2014." I think Zverev and Tsitsipas have the talent to challenge, but clearly not the mental game. Which leaves the younger guys, starting with Rune. He's got the talent to at least be third fiddle to Sincaraz, but the jury is still out on whether he ever actualizes it.

But I think the point is that, for the foreseeable future, the Slams look like Sincaraz's to lose. Surprises can and (eventually) will happen. Maybe one is hurt and the other gets upset, and someone else takes home a title. But there's a real possibility that we're at the beginning of an era not that different than Fedal in 2005-10. After Safin won the 2005 AO, Fedal won the next 10 Slams, 17 of 18, and 21 of 23 (through 2010). I'm not sure Sincaraz will be that dominant, but right now it doesn't seem impossible, maybe not even unlikely. But it is hard to assess the younger guys - the Mensiks and Fonsecas.

So my guess is that, without listening to Gill's latest, he's pointing out that as the field stands right now, we're in a Sincaraz era, with really only Novak being a serious contender--and maybe Medvedev, though I'm not sure he can beat the Big Two anymore on the big stage.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I haven't listened to his latest, so am not sure what he's referring to. Right now 1-4 are are Sinner, Zverev, Alcaraz, and Djokovic. One of those guys is an outlier, and I think there are several other players with similar or better chances as Zverev--Medvedev, certainly, and maybe several others are close.

That said, Sinner and Alcaraz have really separated themselves from the pack. Right now Novak is the only one that I could conceivably see beating them for a Slam title, though the further we get from his last, the less likely it seems. I suppose someone like Hurkacz could catch fire at Wimbledon and do a "Cilic 2014." I think Zverev and Tsitsipas have the talent to challenge, but clearly not the mental game. Which leaves the younger guys, starting with Rune. He's got the talent to at least be third fiddle to Sincaraz, but the jury is still out on whether he ever actualizes it.

But I think the point is that, for the foreseeable future, the Slams look like Sincaraz's to lose. Surprises can and (eventually) will happen. Maybe one is hurt and the other gets upset, and someone else takes home a title. But there's a real possibility that we're at the beginning of an era not that different than Fedal in 2005-10. After Safin won the 2005 AO, Fedal won the next 10 Slams, 17 of 18, and 21 of 23 (through 2010). I'm not sure Sincaraz will be that dominant, but right now it doesn't seem impossible, maybe not even unlikely. But it is hard to assess the younger guys - the Mensiks and Fonsecas.

So my guess is that, without listening to Gill's latest, he's pointing out that as the field stands right now, we're in a Sincaraz era, with really only Novak being a serious contender--and maybe Medvedev, though I'm not sure he can beat the Big Two anymore on the big stage.

Thanks, I should have made my post clearer, he is going on the present men ranked 1-4, and thinks they will be playing for the majors, he feels players ranked 5-15 it will be hard for them to win a major, going on the current games of say the top 4 players

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Taylor Fritz really needs to work on his 'movement' it was 'exposed' in the mens final

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks, I should have made my post clearer, he is going on the present men ranked 1-4, and thinks they will be playing for the majors, he feels players ranked 5-15 it will be hard for them to win a major, going on the current games of say the top 4 players
No, I got it. I'm just not sure that the line is between #1-4 and everyone else, as I think there's a pretty significant gap between Alcaraz/Sinner and the rest, and I don't think that Zverev--even with his revamped serve and recent high level of play--is significantly above everyone else, if at all (I mean, does he have a better chance of a Slam title than current #5 Medvedev?)

But the next Slam is four months away, so let's see how the rest of the year plays out. Still time for players to take a step forward or break through. Of especially importance is Novak, who is hard to place, though in terms of Slam chances next year he'd still be my #3. But after him, Zverev and Medvedev still lead the pack, but it isn't significantly ahead of a half dozen other guys. But again, some moving parts before I'm ready to predict the AO beyond Sinner/Alcaraz/Djokovic being the top 3.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That said, Sinner and Alcaraz have really separated themselves from the pack. Right now Novak is the only one that I could conceivably see beating them for a Slam title, though the further we get from his last, the less likely it seems.
I'm not sure if Novak will be able to fight with Sinner and Alcaraz in BO5 going forward. My feel is that Sinner's and Alcaraz's game has become too fast and too physical for aging Novak. Next AO will tell a lot, but I think Novak might fare better in BO3 currently. He did won OG in that format.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not sure if Novak will be able to fight with Sinner and Alcaraz in BO5 going forward. My feel is that Sinner's and Alcaraz's game has become too fast and too physical for aging Novak. Next AO will tell a lot, but I think Novak might fare better in BO3 currently. He did won OG in that format.
Don,
I tend to agree with you, regarding Novak going forward in the BO5,
Actually one of my favorite matches this year was at the Olympics Gold Medal match, where Novak was at his best, in a BO3 format.
BTW Novak is expected to return to the Shangai Masters, this year, for the first time in 5 years

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
You're probably right, but not definitely. This is Novak, after all. But i agree that AO will tell us a lot - if he's able to rebuild himself as a serious threat at Slams, rather than a "semi-serious" one.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mens USO final against NFL on ABC averaged 1.7m viewers
The mens SF Friday night on ESPN ( against NFL on Peacock) averaged 1.8m.