US Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
El dude
Do I need to send you smelling salts after that mess of a match from rune I had to go to work I can send you something stronger

• Haha
Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
El dude
Do I need to send you smelling salts after that mess of a match from rune I had to go to work I can send you something stronger
Thankfully I didn't watch it.

Anyhow, I'm reminded of Tomas Berdych, who also won a Masters at a very young age (20, I think), then no more big titles. Berdych actually became a better player and a fixture in the top ten for almost a decade, winning a bunch of lesser titles and going deep in Slams, but he never was able to get past the Big Four. Rune, I think, is more talented and without the wall of the Big Four, but I'm thinking is on a similar trajectory: he's fucking around and finding out and while he may eventually figure things out, probably there will be some development lost.

I tend to think that one thing that separates the greats from the almost-rans is continual development early on, with no major stalls. If that doesn't happen, I don't think it is possible to reclaim it later. So for me Rune is falling into FAA territory. Both are very talented and "should" be top 5 guys, but I think they're missing too much development at a crucial time, so even if they take steps forward, they'll never be what they could have been.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Anyhow, I'm reminded of Tomas Berdych, who also won a Masters at a very young age (20, I think), then no more big titles. Berdych actually became a better player and a fixture in the top ten for almost a decade, winning a bunch of lesser titles and going deep in Slams, but he never was able to get past the Big Four. Rune, I think, is more talented and without the wall of the Big Four, but I'm thinking is on a similar trajectory: he's fucking around and finding out and while he may eventually figure things out, probably there will be some development lost.

I tend to think that one thing that separates the greats from the almost-rans is continual development early on, with no major stalls. If that doesn't happen, I don't think it is possible to reclaim it later. So for me Rune is falling into FAA territory. Both are very talented and "should" be top 5 guys, but I think they're missing too much development at a crucial time, so even if they take steps forward, they'll never be what they could have been.
You have made some interesting comments regarding both rune and faa and I hope rune doesn't fall into berdych and his non slams in his career I feel he has more upside than berdych or faa for that matter
As I have just come out of the operating theatre I will take your comments on board

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Some players have to be "zoning" to even get into the top 10! I tell you when I see players like FAA, Tiafoe, Fritz, Paul, & quite a few others; they can't sustain it! I hope Taylor didn't get a big head b/c he defeated Nadal in IW's final a couple years ago! On a gimpy leg, Nadal was able to come back and defeat him on Wimbledon grass in 5 sets! That's the one Fritz should've won! In the old days a big serve kept you in the top 10, but that means nothing today! Acing their way into prominance isn't going to keep them there! There was only one way for them to go; DOWN! They'll all go thru intensive therapy, find new diets, & manifest getting back to the top of the ranks! It'll be sorta like Coric coming out of nowhere to win Cincinatti a couple years ago; defeating Nadal along the way! He's done nothing since! All that talent and it means nothing when it comes to the elites of the game! To have any staying power, you not only need a weapon, you have to have super consistency, some variety to your game, avoid serious injury, & possess a lot of luck! :yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth::partying-face::astonished-face::angry-face:

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Round 1, Day 2, Tuesday, August 27, 2024

1724729592118.png

1724729636271.png

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I believe Tignor got this one right.
Steve must of been looking at my Upset Alert then lol! apparently Tennis Chanel called the upset as well
You know what they say Fronty Great Minds! :)
Brandon has had some good wins this Summer, Fritz, Fils and Rune's record at the USO isnt a good one sad to say
I really hope Rune he can get his game together, when On he is such a good player and his game translates to all surfaces

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
You have made some interesting comments regarding both rune and faa and I hope rune doesn't fall into berdych and his non slams in his career I feel he has more upside than berdych or faa for that matter
As I have just come out of the operating theatre I will take your comments on board
I definitely think Rune > FAA > Berdych in terms of talent. I wasn't speaking as much to the level of talent (or upside) as a possible trajectory and loss of crucial development.

Rune isn't quite in FAA territory, who is not yet in Berdych territory, though I think it is possible he enters Tsitsipas territory. As I see it right now:

FAA
Best-case scenario: Puts it all together in his fast-approaching mid-20s (he's 23 already!) and wins a Slam or two.
Likely outcome: Second tier type, maxes out with a Masters or three, if that.

RUNE
Best-case scenario: He takes a big step forward in the next year and gives us our new Big Three, if probably less consistent than Alcaraz and Sinner. But he might sneak in some weeks at #1 and win a few Slams, with a chance at winning a bunch.
Likely outcome: A dangerous floater who wins big titles and might pull off a Slam or two, but is never consistent enough to be THE guy. Sort of less-silly Kyrgios or a less-weak-kneed Tsitsipas.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Some players have to be "zoning" to even get into the top 10! I tell you when I see players like FAA, Tiafoe, Fritz, Paul, & quite a few others; they can't sustain it! I hope Taylor didn't get a big head b/c he defeated Nadal in IW's final a couple years ago! On a gimpy leg, Nadal was able to come back and defeat him on Wimbledon grass in 5 sets! That's the one Fritz should've won! In the old days a big serve kept you in the top 10, but that means nothing today! Acing their way into prominance isn't going to keep them there! There was only one way for them to go; DOWN! They'll all go thru intensive therapy, find new diets, & manifest getting back to the top of the ranks! It'll be sorta like Coric coming out of nowhere to win Cincinatti a couple years ago; defeating Nadal along the way! He's done nothing since! All that talent and it means nothing when it comes to the elites of the game! To have any staying power, you not only need a weapon, you have to have super consistency, some variety to your game, avoid serious injury, & possess a lot of luck! :yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth::partying-face::astonished-face::angry-face:
I hear you, though would quibble about Coric's talent - if you are referring to him when you say "all that talent." I remember that when he broke into the top 100 just before his 18th birthday, he--along with Kyrgios--became the new hopes of the tour. By that point (2014-15ish), it was clear that Lost Gen was truly lost, and Thiem hadn't yet surged - and we didn't yet know about Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas, etc. But as we got to know Coric, it became clear that he lacked weapons or any skills that set him apart. He then coasted in the 30-50 range for a few years and by the time he started rising in 2018, he was already 21-22 and other, more talented, young players were showing up.

But Coric is a good example of a player who stalled out in the crucial 18-21 phase. His surge to #12 just before turning 22 wasn't as much the beginning of his rise to the elite, as him maxing out. This is why I'm concerned with Rune. If he's going to be a true elite guy who wins Slams and gets to #1, he's got to show us more sooner than later - at least based upon historic precedents. I mean, even though Lendl didn't win a Slam until he was 24, he was still a top 3 guy well before he turned 22, winning a ton of titles and going deep in Slams. Rune has neither piled up the lower level titles, nor shown more than flashes of greatness. His run in late 2022 was very impressive, but that almost two years ago now.

Anyhow, Coric is sort of a throwback to the era (90s-early 00s) when third tier types would win the occasional Masters. He never had that quality like a Tsonga, where if lightning striked he could win a Slam or two. Or even a Ferrer, who was so consistently very good that in a different era would likely have won a couple Roland Garros titles. Think of guys like Pavel and Portas, or even Robredo, who snuck in Masters titles.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching the 1st set of Felix v Jacob Mensik, all I can say thank God it is a best of 5 with Felix playing poorly, too many ufe and his first serve went missing, well done to Mensik winning the 1st set 62, Felix can only get better, hopefully!

Last edited:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching the 1st set of Felix v Jacob Mensik, all I can say thank God it is a best of 5 with Felix playing poorly, well done to Mensik winning the 1st set 62, Felix can only get better, hopefully!
Mensik is a real talent. Not sure what his upside is, but he's one of the better "post-Alcaraz" young guys on the radar, and further along than Fonseca. I suspect that next year will be similar to what Fils did last year - establish himself in the top 40 or so.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mensik is a real talent. Not sure what his upside is, but he's one of the better "post-Alcaraz" young guys on the radar, and further along than Fonseca. I suspect that next year will be similar to what Fils did last year - establish himself in the top 40 or so.
Agree Mensik is a real talent no question about that, still Felix played poorly, too many UFE and his first serve went missing, he can play better than that

Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
If FAA loses this one, it will be the 5th time in the last two years that he's gone out in a Slam 1R. I bet he wishes he could dial back to 2022 and re-start from there.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mensik gets the early break against Felix, in the 3rd set, I cant see him getting out of this one quite frankly, well done to Mensik so far, he has looked the goods from the start of this match
Yep Mensik consolidates the break and leads 3-0 3rd set