US Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Thanks for the update. Not good.

Will the haters go nuts if & when Novak goes far into the draw? Some actually think he manufactures injuries even though the world saw that idiot fan drop a thermos on Novak's head in Paris back in June creating an obvious concussion! Even w/ the horrendous scheduling by Mauresmo making him play well into the night, it all worked out in the end w/ that OGM last month! That's all I kept hearing about from the haters, "well Rafa has his OG & Novak doesn't!" NOW what? I advocate the abolishment of quite a few sports out of the Olympics, but since tennis is a part of it, oh well.....! :angry-face::astonished-face::yawningface::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Emil Ruusuvuori has withdrawn from the USO
IN: Marterer ( LL will play against Zverev)

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Djokovic is on Ashe stadium at present practicing with Stan Wawrinka, wearing his knee brace

Reactions: Front242

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I heard it was Novak's back that played up not his knee? when he practiced against Rune It was confirmed through OlyTennis@olly tennis it was back pain, and that it a reliable source,
Doesn't bode well for serving unless he can pump himself full of anti inflammatories but playing daily on those wouldn't be good.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Doesn't bode well for serving unless he can pump himself full of anti inflammatories but playing daily on those wouldn't be good.
I am trying to see through the video of his practice against Wawrinka his serve, though it keeps going back and forward quickly so I cant get a good look at it
The player I feel for the most is Alcaraz I saw how he rolled his ankle in practice didnt look good, I would imagine his physio will be working over time to get it right for Tuesday
Okay I just saw Novak practicing his serve for a few times, it looked okay to me

Last edited:

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
I am trying to see through the video of his practice against Wawrinka his serve, though it keeps going back and forward quickly so I cant get a good look at it
The player I feel for the most is Alcaraz I saw how he rolled his ankle in practice didnt look good, I would imagine his physio will be working over time to get it right for Tuesday
Okay I just saw Novak practicing his serve for a few times, it looked okay to me
Who is your USO pick to win? Saw you picking your favorite player Saba on HC as usual. Going with Carlos.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Who is your USO pick to win? Saw you picking your favorite player Saba on HC as usual. Going with Carlos.
Yes I picked your closet fav in Saba didnt I lol! , Carlos just rolled his ankle in practice? and stopped his practice, lets see how he goes on Tuesday in his first round match, his physio will be working hard to get his ankle right
I will be interested to see if Carlos has another practice session before his first round match on Tuesday, I will keep my eyes and ears open for any further news regarding the 'actual state of his ankle" it happened at the back of the court and he crouched down immediately and then went to speak to his team and the practice session was cancelled as you would expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
My picks, in order:
  1. Alcaraz
  2. Djokovic
  3. Sinner
  4. Zverev
  5. Medvedev
  6. Hurkacz
  7. Rune
  8. Ruud
  9. Rublev
  10. The Young Americans (Korda/Paul/Tiafoe/Shelton)
I can't decide which of the Young Americans deserves to get the 10th spot, so I went with all four. Korda's quite a wildcard - if he plays his best, he's maybe 6th-8th on this list. Shelton would be 4th (among the Americans), with Paul and Tiafoe about even.

I can't choose between Alcaraz and Novak. I think a lot depends on these new injuries. I'm not writing Jannik off, but there are obvious concerns (and he isn't quite as indomitable as he was early on, plus the hip remains a concern).

Strangely enough, I almost think that Zverev is less likely to be upset early on than 1-3, but far less likely to win it. His serve is so damn good right now, but the three guys above him just have (much) bigger balls.

I think it is clear that Daniil peaked in 2021; he's still very good, but he's not quite as good as he was.

Everyone else is a huge longshot/darkhorse. Hurkacz is the dangerous server and I could see him doing a 'Cilic 14' at some point. At one point, Rublev will get past the QF--maybe at the USO--but it is hard imagining him winning a Slam.

Still waiting on Rune. I definitely feel better about his prospects now than I did a few months ago. I think at some point in the next six or seven months--either this year or in the early hardcourt season--he's going to surge.

EDIT: I forgot Tsitsipas. No I didn't.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Update on Alcaraz ( source cope.es/programes/tiem and OllyTennis @ Olly-tennis)

Alcaraz is apparently Fine and will attend his scheduled press conference this afternoon

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
My picks, in order:
  1. Alcaraz
  2. Djokovic
  3. Sinner
  4. Zverev
  5. Medvedev
  6. Hurkacz
  7. Rune
  8. Ruud
  9. Rublev
  10. The Young Americans (Korda/Paul/Tiafoe/Shelton)
I can't decide which of the Young Americans deserves to get the 10th spot, so I went with all four. Korda's quite a wildcard - if he plays his best, he's maybe 6th-8th on this list. Shelton would be 4th (among the Americans), with Paul and Tiafoe about even.

I can't choose between Alcaraz and Novak. I think a lot depends on these new injuries. I'm not writing Jannik off, but there are obvious concerns (and he isn't quite as indomitable as he was early on, plus the hip remains a concern).

Strangely enough, I almost think that Zverev is less likely to be upset early on than 1-3, but far less likely to win it. His serve is so damn good right now, but the three guys above him just have (much) bigger balls.

I think it is clear that Daniil peaked in 2021; he's still very good, but he's not quite as good as he was.

Everyone else is a huge longshot/darkhorse. Hurkacz is the dangerous server and I could see him doing a 'Cilic 14' at some point. At one point, Rublev will get past the QF--maybe at the USO--but it is hard imagining him winning a Slam.

Still waiting on Rune. I definitely feel better about his prospects now than I did a few months ago. I think at some point in the next six or seven months--either this year or in the early hardcourt season--he's going to surge.

EDIT: I forgot Tsitsipas. No I didn't.
You forgot Tay Fritz who is ranked ahead of all his compatriots, no?

Reactions: El Dude

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Alcaraz said that his ankle is 'feeling good' stopped his practice out of precaution ( source TennisPanorama via Lukas Weese@Weeseports)
Carlos will have another practice session tomorrow

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Todays Arthur Ashe Kids Day at the USO set an all time attendance record of 48,875, breaking the previous record of 40,868 set last year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot of practice sessions today, before some players start their opening matches tomorrow, also it is Hot
FAA v Lehecka'
Djokovic carrying a 'gold bag' ( maybe in honor of winning the gold medal at the Olympics) onto Ashe stadium in his practice match against Davidovich
Shelton v Thompson
Schwartzman v Fognini
Ostapenko v Pegula
Osaka v Garcia
You dont see men and women players in practice against each other,
Gael Monfils and his wife Elina Svitilona in practice together! on court 17

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic has the chance to break a 16 year streak, noone has defended the US Open mens singles title since "2008".

Reactions: don_fabio