US Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My goodness, did not realize Donald Young was still playing any professional top tier tennis.

Excerpt:
Townsend and Young will face Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori in the US Open mixed doubles final on Thursday. It will be Young's last professional tennis match, as he is set to officially retire from the ATP Tour. The American duo is into the mixed final a decade after making the semifinals in New York 10 years ago.

"This is the decision and I'm happy with it," Young said. "Hopefully we go one more. It'd be a really a dream come true and kind of a storybook ending for me.

"So either way it goes, I'm really excited and happy that I can share it with a person really close, like family."

Can’t say I’ve ever been a fan of Donald Young ( is he really 35?) but I suppose winning the Mixed Doubles at the USO is as good a send off as he could have hoped.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Vince,

I dont think Jannik was playing at his AO level, still playing Meddy it is like playing a game of chess at times, actually he is best friends with Jack Draper, they are meeting in the SF

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Apart from Jannik reaching at least the SFs at all 4 GS in his career
He's not just the first man born in the 2000's to achieve the feat, he's actually the first man since 1990 to do it.
Note:,
Carlos Alcaraz might be next,he could complete his set at the next Grand Slam, the AO, which is the only one of the 4 he's yet to reach the final 4 at.

Reactions: Moxie

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Daniil's tennis was very below average. The Curse of the French Games lingers on
I don’t know that I would blame the Olympics. He has played this way overall for the entire year. Well enough to get to a certain point in the tournament, but not able to kick it up a notch when it matters to win the tournament.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm sticking with the Veteran, Meddy in 5 sets
A shame he lost but didn't expect him to win with this nonsense tactic of standing miles behind the baseline. I'm done with tennis for the foreseeable future if Sinner wins the title and he probably will. Getting caught with steroids twice, no suspension and then winning 2 masters and a slam is a bs look for the sport. It's finished like cycling. They're cycling in tennis too. Cycling on and cycling off and using masking agents to beat the system and nothing is being done. It's finished.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Daniil's tennis was very below average. The Curse of the French Games lingers on
If there really is a French Games curse, then that means we'll be seeing Sinner and Tiafoe in the final, since Draper and Fritz played each other at the Olympics.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Are we really surprised by the Olympics players bombing at the US Open?

I mean Djokovic has been mediocre by his standards all year. He put every mental and physical aspect he could muster into getting that gold medal. It isn’t a surprise he bombed here. He is at the age and point in his career where he is going to have good and bad days.

Alcaraz went on a tear between RG, Wimbledon, and the Olympics getting silver. I don’t think he knows how to process where he is at with his game yet. When he gets on a string of wins being the favorite doesn’t suit him at the moment. He may reach a point where he handles being the favorite, but I think at the moment he can handle short bursts of success before the microscope comes out, and he doesn’t like it.

Musetti is a mess.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well you must have missed his previous match then, in round 4 because he was in good form, maybe his opponent had a lot to deal with the fact overall he was the better player? the one thing that killed Meddy was his high UFE count, at times he was pushing his shots too much

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A shame he lost but didn't expect him to win with this nonsense tactic of standing miles behind the baseline. I'm done with tennis for the foreseeable future if Sinner wins the title and he probably will. Getting caught with steroids twice, no suspension and then winning 2 masters and a slam is a bs look for the sport. It's finished like cycling. They're cycling in tennis too. Cycling on and cycling off and using masking agents to beat the system and nothing is being done. It's finished.
Meddy has been asked about that standing way behind the baseline he says it gives him more 'pop on the return' ?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Meddy has been asked about that standing way behind the baseline he says it gives him more 'pop on the return' ?
I mean I understand the return aspect for sure, but guys with powerful strokes like Sinner will blow him away when he's in New Jersey instead of New York. Guys like Alcaraz will exploit the fact that he's so far away by crucifying him with drop shots. He should come in a few feet at least.

I got it right at the time in the poll a while back that Medvedev would be the next number 1 and he was briefly at the time of winning his first slam, but he's not winning any more slams or big titles the way he plays.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I mean I understand the return aspect for sure, but guys with powerful strokes like Sinner will blow him away when he's in New Jersey instead of New York. Guys like Alcaraz will exploit the fact that he's so far away by crucifying him with drop shots. He should come in a few feet at least.

I got it right at the time in the poll a while back that Medvedev would be the next number 1 and he was briefly at the time of winning his first slam, but he's not winning any more slams or big titles the way he plays.
I agree with your thoughts, 100% regarding Meddy and his return game, and he is getting exploited it seems sad to say he is 'hell bent' on not changing his return position, its a wonder both his coaches have not pointed that out to him?
Yes he wont be winning, sad to say, more slams, with this kind of positional play, he does have the game especially on a HC to win more GS,

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Front242

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

But he does sometimes change his return position. He mixed it up last night. He's more comfortable from way back, though, as he says. His game is so unorthodox, I don't see how that's the only problem. But his serve has to be working for him to do well, too. And it has been, of late. He best match of the tournament was the round prior, v. Borges, who, while having a pretty good year for him, isn't really stiff competition. As SundayMorning says above, he hasn't really had big results all year.

Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I find this stat for men born since 2000 able to reach a GS SF,

FAA USO 2021
Alcaraz USO 2022
Sinner Wimbledon 2023
Shelton USO 2023
Mussetti Wimbledon 2024
Draper USO 2024

Reactions: Front242 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But he does sometimes change his return position. He mixed it up last night. He's more comfortable from way back, though, as he says. His game is so unorthodox, I don't see how that's the only problem. But his serve has to be working for him to do well, too. And it has been, of late. He best match of the tournament was the round prior, v. Borges, who, while having a pretty good year for him, isn't really stiff competition. As SundayMorning says above, he hasn't really had big results all year.
Meddy started pushing his shots in his match against Sinner, he committed too many UFE for starters, either player played their best at the same time, Jannik was the steadier player towards the end of the match, I picked him to win in 4 sets., maybe Meddy having a easier match against Borges didnt help in his match with Sinner, I mean they have both played against one another a few times now, so Meddy should have been more prepared.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
My goodness, did not realize Donald Young was still playing any professional top tier tennis.

Excerpt:

Can’t say I’ve ever been a fan of Donald Young ( is he really 35?) but I suppose winning the Mixed Doubles at the USO is as good a send off as he could have hoped.
HI Folks, the mixed doubles final is being shown on ESPN2 now at 3 pm EST.Very smart move by the mouse today.. They were given a wildcard to get into the US Open by the USTA.. I think they said that he was off the tour last year.. I hoping for a happy ending for Taylor and Donald.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
HI Folks, the mixed doubles final is being shown on ESPN2 now at 3 pm EST.Very smart move by the mouse today.. They were given a wildcard to get into the US Open by the USTA.. I think they said that he was off the tour last year.. I hoping for a happy ending for Taylor and Donald.
You must of read my mind I was just about to post the same, ESPN2 will televise the Mixed Doubles Final, I posted the same on the WTA Post
I believe Young is going to Pickleball after he finishes he tennis career?
Remember when Toni and Rafa invited Donald to train and his father refused? I felt that was a big mistake. Oh well too late now.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Everyone I talk with that has any connection with tennis or sports in general is saying the same thing: Sinner shouldn't be playing right now.

There is a bitter feel to all of this. The guy is probably going to win the USO and it doesn't sit well with many.