US Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not sure why Fritz is heavily favored over Tiafoe, as well as close to being the odds on favorite to win the whole thing. Either someone knows something or this is way too good to be true. Keep in mind, Fritz has never been in this position before. Tiafoe has at the 2022 US Open, and I think that will be a huge advantage for him in the semifinal. Tiafoe, at these value odds, seems to be the easy pick to win on Friday.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not sure why Fritz is heavily favored over Tiafoe, as well as close to being the odds on favorite to win the whole thing. Either someone knows something or this is way too good to be true. Keep in mind, Fritz has never been in this position before. Tiafoe has at the 2022 US Open, and I think that will be a huge advantage for him in the semifinal. Tiafoe, at these value odds, seems to be the easy pick to win on Friday.
Frances is going to have to serve better to get passed Fritz's new found belief game. I'm not really a fan of either one of them but I'm glad they're in the semis. Sinner vs Daniil's game is the real US Open final for me. It's time for the NFL!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Dimitrov came back out after the MTO, but it doesn't look like he'll make it through this set.
Grigor's lack of fitness has truly cost him in his career. It caught up to others of his Gen and just prior such as Monfils, JoWillieTs and Berydch. That's the one thing about Daniil Meddy's body. It rarely has broken down but Grigor's ALWAYS does. Like I stated before, Grigor has had a lot of fun being an international athlete.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Probably because Fritz mostly always beats Tiafoe. I'd like Tiafoe to go through on Friday, because I can see him put up a fight against probably Sinner. Not sure if Fritz can do any damage in the final.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This comment is based on a bias. Players don't generally win rally points based on fitness, they win them based on tennis IQ and ability to close out a point. This is a lot more interesting that them winning serve after serve, or serve plus one. I'm not interested in tennis played on "glass" or carpet. I'm interested in the chess match between players.
In chess you have long drawn out boring matches and also fast checkmates. In tennis terms, the slower the courts are/become, the more we'll be subjected to matches won because of fitness and not tennis skills because the shot making isn't rewarded if almost every ball can be reached. It's not fair that most matches come down to a battle of fitness. It renders often injured players incapable of winning more than a handful of matches in a row.

We'd see less injured players if the courts were faster and that's a fact, including Nadal..

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Grigor is very known to have very injury prone setbacks
He legs are twigs like Gilles Simon's. It's on him that he never built them up as it's hurt his career big time. He needs to eat a few burgers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In chess you have long drawn out boring matches and also fast checkmates. In tennis terms, the slower the courts are/become, the more we'll be subjected to matches won because of fitness and not tennis skills because the shot making isn't rewarded if almost every ball can be reached. It's not fair that most matches come down to a battle of fitness. It renders often injured players incapable of winning more than a handful of matches in a row.

We'd see less injured players if the courts were faster and that's a fact, including Nadal..
I still disagree with your basic premise that slower courts mean matches are won by less talented players, just because they're fit, in any kind of a consistent way.

As to USO court speed this year, this from Jon Wertheim's Mailbag (SI) today, a stat he got from Craig O'Shaughnessey:

More than 70% of the points at the U.S. Open have been of four or fewer strokes, the highest percent in nearly a decade and evidence the courts are playing fast.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Grigor's lack of fitness has truly cost him in his career. It caught up to others of his Gen and just prior such as Monfils, JoWillieTs and Berydch. That's the one thing about Daniil Meddy's body. It rarely has broken down but Grigor's ALWAYS does. Like I stated before, Grigor has had a lot of fun being an international athlete.
I don't remember him having that many really terrible injuries. He has had to retire from some Majors for them, but I don't think of him as injury-plagued, as I would others. I think it's more about your last...that he's had "a lot of fun being an international athlete." A lot of the questions around him have been about his dedication and heart when it's important. He seems to be more focused here at the later stages, but that IS when the injuries can creep in more.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't remember him having that many really terrible injuries. He has had to retire from some Majors for them, but I don't think of him as injury-plagued, as I would others. I think it's more about your last...that he's had "a lot of fun being an international athlete." A lot of the questions around him have been about his dedication and heart when it's important. He seems to be more focused here at the later stages, but that IS when the injuries can creep in more.
the ESPN crew ( the brothers McEnroe) mentioned the same thing during the telecast, Grigor numerous injuries.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the ESPN crew ( the brothers McEnroe) mentioned the same thing during the telecast, Grigor numerous injuries.
I heard them. There've been more lately. But mostly, they just didn't want to call him a Slacker. :lulz1:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Tignor picked D Raper correctly and has picked Sinner. Bodo is going with Medvedev in 4.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It has the potential to go 5. If it goes 5, I give the edge to Red.
Medvedev only played his best match last round. But Sinner is a bit low-key these days. Hard to pick this one, but I lean Sinner, by preference and by tennis.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev only played his best match last round. But Sinner is a bit low-key these days. Hard to pick this one, but I lean Sinner, by preference and by tennis.
Sinner will prevail in four.