The Movie Reel

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
That's an interesting connection, T! I didn't know that. I must say, this year's television was low on good creepy fare. I like old creaking floorboards, cobwebbed castles, shifting coffin lids, not explicit slasher flicks. But anyway, there's none of either, so I watched that film on Netflix...

I'm with you on that. I can't stand slasher flicks. For me, I would rather watch something like "The Haunting" (the original version):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/?ref_=nv_sr_6

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:
That's an interesting connection, T! I didn't know that. I must say, this year's television was low on good creepy fare. I like old creaking floorboards, cobwebbed castles, shifting coffin lids, not explicit slasher flicks. But anyway, there's none of either, so I watched that film on Netflix...

I'm with you on that. I can't stand slasher flicks. For me, I would rather watch something like "The Haunting" (the original version):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/?ref_=nv_sr_6

Oh yeah!

Or any Hammer House of Horror Gothic vampire tales. Not only filmed beautifully, but without the over-reliance on cheap scares...

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
My favorite horror flick is The Vanishing ("Spoorloos" in Dutch) from George Sluizer. The original from 1988, not the pathetic Hollywood remake with Kiefer Sutherland. There is no blood, no gore, no violence, in fact it is technically not even a horror flick by definiton, yet it is terrifying beyond belief with a cruel twist that will make you feel incredibly relieved that you are sitting on your sofa and just watching telly. I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it yet.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw that years ago, Didi, it's an amazing film. I remember being shocked and unnerved by it. Must look it up, wouldn't mind to watch it again. Didn't see the American remake...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Just came from a dinner and a movie date with the missus, and saw Gravity, in 3d. Now, I do not like 3d movies because I get a bit dizzy, but I have to say there were some breathtaking scenes, and I have really enjoyed the movie. Sandra Bullock held her own I thought, it is a lot of alone time on the screen.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
I saw that years ago, Didi, it's an amazing film. I remember being shocked and unnerved by it. Must look it up, wouldn't mind to watch it again. Didn't see the American remake...

What I love about the movie is not only the sharp and genuine acting but that it actually goes a gutsy way back to the oldschool thriller flicks from the 70s like Chinatown in that it takes a lot of time and craft to tell a well-rounded story, something I rarely see these days in horror/thriller flicks where protagonists are introduced (and removed :snigger ) within a few seconds before or during the rushed action and gore unfold themselves. For a low budget independent movie I think spoorloos is one hell of a movie in the truest sense of the word. It doesn't have the special effects of The Thing and Alien, or the score from The Omen, Halloween and Jaws and ultimately I think Michael Haneke's Funny Games from 1997 and Peter Medak's The Changeling are better cut and directed but it is a masterpiece in its own right.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Just checked with Netflix Ireland - typically it doesn't have this movie spoorloos. What does it have? Good question... :s

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
You can watch the whole movie on youtube, kieran, in crap quality though. You can also find The Changeling there which is another low budget oldschool flick that never fails to scare me. It's a bit like The Shining without Jack.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Didi said:
You can watch the whole movie on youtube, kieran, in crap quality though. You can also find The Changeling there which is another low budget oldschool flick that never fails to scare me. It's a bit like The Shining without Jack.

Cheers Didi! Will watch it this weekend! :cool:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Didi said:
My favorite horror flick is The Vanishing ("Spoorloos" in Dutch) from George Sluizer. The original from 1988, not the pathetic Hollywood remake with Kiefer Sutherland. There is no blood, no gore, no violence, in fact it is technically not even a horror flick by definiton, yet it is terrifying beyond belief with a cruel twist that will make you feel incredibly relieved that you are sitting on your sofa and just watching telly. I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it yet.

That is the most disturbing film I've ever seen. I've tried to forget it. It's a great film, but highly distressing.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
tented said:
That is the most disturbing film I've ever seen. I've tried to forget it. It's a great film, but highly distressing.

I totally agree. It's one of those movies you never want to watch again because it does challenge your nerves quite a lot up to a point when it becomes disturbing and depressing. It's like an exhausting rollercoaster ride. You enjoyed it somehow or at least appreciated it but you just want to leave it at that and be at peace with it for good. Michael Haneke is an expert for that. I liked Amour, The White Ribbon and the first Funny Games movie but it's just way too depressing and hard to find the motivation to go through it again. Haneke must be a masochist. But then again I read he never watches his own movies. I wonder why. :snigger

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Didi said:
Michael Haneke is an expert for that. I liked Amour, The White Ribbon and the first Funny Games movie but it's just way too depressing and hard to find the motivation to go through it again.

Did you see The Piano Teacher or Cache? I liked them a lot, too.

Haneke must be a masochist. But then again I read he never watches his own movies. I wonder why. :snigger

That's not fair! :laydownlaughing

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love Haneke, and all the films mentioned, though I can't watch Funny Games again, either version. He makes uncomfortable films, but they are genius.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn't understand Cache/Hidden. When it ended, I was like...em... :huh:

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
tented said:

I did and I liked Piano teacher too but just like Kieran Cache left me confused in the end. It just did not work for me but nevertheless the entire movie had a gutsy and bold approach which I appreciated since nobody but Haneke himself dares to make movies like that these days. I like and admire the man for going a ruthless and consequent route in all of his movies. He never really cares about critics or the general consensus. I don't always agree with the messages in his movies but I admire that cocky and gutsy attitude to stick to his own principles no matter what.

My favorite ones from Haneke:

1) The White Ribbon
2) Amour
3) Funny Games (1997)
4) Seventh Continent
5) Code Unknown

But really, you can't watch any of his movies more than once, it's always a torture that makes The Machinist with Christian Bale look like a comedy. :dodgy:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Didi said:
tented said:

I did and I liked Piano teacher too but just like Kieran Cache left me confused in the end. It just did not work for me but nevertheless the entire movie had a gutsy and bold approach which I appreciated since nobody but Haneke himself dares to make movies like that these days. I like and admire the man for going a ruthless and consequent route in all of his movies. He never really cares about critics or the general consensus. I don't always agree with the messages in his movies but I admire that cocky and gutsy attitude to stick to his own principles no matter what.

My favorite ones from Haneke:

1) The White Ribbon
2) Amour
3) Funny Games (1997)
4) Seventh Continent
5) Code Unknown

But really, you can't watch any of his movies more than once, it's always a torture that makes The Machinist with Christian Bale look like a comedy. :dodgy:

I disagree that you can't watch his films twice. They reveal themselves better with a second viewing. Cache was that for me. I also loved The White Ribbon, Amour, and the Piano Teacher. With Lars Van Trier, he is one of the more difficult and complicated directors working now, but what he has to say is worth watching, and giving more than a glancing look, however it difficult to watch.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Prisoners has barely left cinemas..probably still in some and the bluray is out already Dec 17th. Looking forward to seeing that finally.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
With Lars Van Trier, he is one of the more difficult and complicated directors working now, but what he has to say is worth watching, and giving more than a glancing look, however it difficult to watch.

I agree. Same could be said about the young director Steve McQueen. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite directors and a worthy successor of Haneke and Trier in my opinion. His Irish drama "Hunger" was breathtaking. "Shame" was difficult to watch for obvious reasons but outstanding nonetheless, especially due to Fassbender's incredible play. I hope he gets the recognition he deserves and takes the Oscar for best director for "12 years a slave".

tented

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I just watched "This is the End" with Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill and etc...playing themselves. I do not remember laughing so hard in a long time. This is one absurd comedy. I will quote that movie forever...

I just watched it, too. It is funny. And weird. They all did a good job, but I particularly liked Jay Baruchel. The point where the word "pilgrim" is introduced cracked me up. It's too sexually explicit to go into, but you'll probably remember.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Anybody here see The Counsellor?

Or Gravity?

Am betwixt and between on which one to go see. A recommendation might sway it for me! :)