The Movie Reel

ashwin#1

Club Member
Reactions
Kieran said:
Anybody here see The Counsellor?

Or Gravity?

Am betwixt and between on which one to go see. A recommendation might sway it for me! :)

Gravity hands down. !! one of the best movies of 2013 so far..
IF its possible, watch it in IMAX 3D..if there's no IMAX, i'd still suggest you to watch it in 3D..the 3D effects were great !!!!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
ashwin#1 said:
Kieran said:

Or Gravity?

Am betwixt and between on which one to go see. A recommendation might sway it for me! :)

IF its possible, watch it in IMAX 3D..if there's no IMAX, i'd still suggest you to watch it in 3D..the 3D effects were great !!!!

Cheers, Ashwin!

It just happens that there's IMAX 3-D in town! I was leaning towards this - so this it is. Cheers! :cool:

ashwin#1

Club Member
Reactions
Kieran said:
ashwin#1 said:
Kieran said:

Or Gravity?

Cheers, Ashwin!

It just happens that there's IMAX 3-D in town! I was leaning towards this - so this it is. Cheers! :cool:

wow..I always wanted to watch this movie on IMAX 3D, but there wasn't one in my city.. :( T__T
If you do like space-based movies ( personally, i love em.. armageddon/2001-a space odyssey/aliens), you're in for a treat !!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I like sci-fi and also space based movies. This is disaster in space, basically, isn't it? Been hearing that it's visually perfect, more or less. Yeah, the IMAX is the thing. I booked my tickets online - there's no stopping me now! :D

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is long over-due, but I finally saw "Gran Torino." I have to admit I'm in a puddle.

And, is it me, or did anyone else find the Baz Luhrmann Gatsby unwatchable? And I like Baz Luhrmann a lot.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not pushed on Baz Lurhmann! I have him in the same box as Tim Burton, who I despise, and consider a rank, empty-headed phoney. I slightly prefer Baz, but I think these guys get cut too much slack. Likewise, Lars von Triers, whose role in film seems to be to provoke, which is a silly role indeed. He reminds me of the old saying when you shiver: someone stepped on my grave. It's very easy to provoke by being explicit, but try conceal the hidden power and see what effect it has.

Today, the IMAX POWER! Gravity, in 3D! Popcorn and startled cries from the floor. Munch munch, chomp, slurp! :celeb: :spacecadet: :wow:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
I'm not pushed on Baz Lurhmann! I have him in the same box as Tim Burton, who I despise, and consider a rank, empty-headed phoney. I slightly prefer Baz, but I think these guys get cut too much slack.

:clap They're all style and no substance. I've given up on both, and refuse to watch any of their new films. I've seen enough of the old ones to know I've seen the new ones, too.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I love some of Burton's early movies like Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, the first Batman, Nightmare before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands. I think these 5 will stand the test of time for decades to come. The atmosphere he created in all of theme was beautiful. One of the reasons is Danny Elfman who is my favorite composer alongside Hans Zimmer. I don't think it is a coincidence that Burton's movies started to decline badly since he parted ways with Danny. I also like Corpse Bride and Big Fish.

However he had a lot projects I consider as brainfarts over the last couple of years such as Planet of the Apes, Mars Attacks, Dark Shadows, his versions of Alice and Charlie's Chocolate Factory and worst of all the Abraham Lincoln vampire rubbish. I can see why folks are getting sick and tired of him. Ever since Hollywood opened the cheque book for him he stopped being the meticulous genius he was in the 80s/early 90s and started to opt for souless box office rubbish without any guile, craft or substance.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:
I'm not pushed on Baz Lurhmann! I have him in the same box as Tim Burton, who I despise, and consider a rank, empty-headed phoney. I slightly prefer Baz, but I think these guys get cut too much slack.

:clap They're all style and no substance. I've given up on both, and refuse to watch any of their new films. I've seen enough of the old ones to know I've seen the new ones, too.

I understand the point about style over substance, though I think they're both imaginative filmmakers. However, I will agree that they've fallen for and into their own old habits, and are at risk of having nothing new to say beyond pleasing set decoration and costume design. They should look to Pedro Almodovar for inspiration, who took his stylishness and camp, and learned to mine a human vein in the same voice.

Didi said:
I love some of Burton's early movies like Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, the first Batman, Nightmare before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands. I think these 5 will stand the test of time for decades to come. The atmosphere he created in all of theme was beautiful. One of the reasons is Danny Elfman who is my favorite composer alongside Hans Zimmer. I don't think it is a coincidence that Burton's movies started to decline badly since he parted ways with Danny. I also like Corpse Bride and Big Fish.

However he had a lot projects I consider as brainfarts over the last couple of years such as Planet of the Apes, Mars Attacks, Dark Shadows, his versions of Alice and Charlie's Chocolate Factory and worst of all the Abraham Lincoln vampire rubbish. I can see why folks are getting sick and tired of him. Ever since Hollywood opened the cheque book for him he stopped being the meticulous genius he was in the 80s/early 90s and started to opt for souless box office rubbish without any guile, craft or substance.

I agree with those as all being very good films, Didi. I think Hollywood opened the checkbook before he became rubbish. Maybe having a show of his drawings at MOMA made him think he was more of an artist than he is. In any case, I think he needs to learn how to get out of his own way, as does Luhrmann. Stop being so "pomp," and try for a little more "circumstance." I'd love to see either of them try for something smaller. Go back to the source.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Loved Gravity in 3D at the IMAX. Stunning and intense, they do things now with trick photography that makes the eyes pop out in 3D themselves. Sandra Bullock, where have you been hiding, lass! She can act. Who knew? She was great in this. Edge of the seat stuff. If I ever say I'm going to space - stop me!

We're on a roll - today went to see Dom Hemingway, starring Jude Law and Richard E Grant. At the start I thought this would be another smart-arsed mouthy gangsta flick, with too much violence, but it's not. It settles into a good story, great acting. I mean, Jude Law. No-one ever doubted he can act, right? The guy reminds me of what old silent movie film stars must have looked like, Rudolph Valentino and the likes: too much handsome. Gorgeous to spare. But he plays a great villain. He doesn't trade on this looks, he's a magnificent actor too. This one is funny in parts, well worth the look...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Saw an old comedic classic from 1968 with the family unit last weekend--The Party. All you need to know is the one at the center is the inimitable genius, Peter Sellers, and that he plays a man from India (with a darkened complexion)! Side-splitting scenes in the film--my kids were crying from laughing.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
shawnbm said:
Saw an old comedic classic from 1968 with the family unit last weekend--The Party. All you need to know is the one at the center is the inimitable genius, Peter Sellers, and that he plays a man from India (with a darkened complexion)! Side-splitting scenes in the film--my kids were crying from laughing.

That is one of the best Seller's movies ever!:laydownlaughing

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Just saw Thor 2 last night. Pretty good movie though I liked the first one better. I'm not a huge comic book fan so I don't get to crazy about these movies but have enjoyed the Thor movies and 1st Iron Man movie (I haven't seen the 3rd one).

The Hobbit is coming out in a few weeks, definitely the most excited I've been for a movie in a couple years. The 2nd one should be the best given what happens in the book.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw a clip for the Hobbit in 3D when I went to see Gravity last week. Maybe I'm too used to watching these LOTR flicks in 2D, but the effects didn't grab me. I'm cautious about how thinly they can scrape The Hobbit barrel, in trying to get 3 movies out of one slim book...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
I saw a clip for the Hobbit in 3D when I went to see Gravity last week. Maybe I'm too used to watching these LOTR flicks in 2D, but the effects didn't grab me. I'm cautious about how thinly they can scrape The Hobbit barrel, in trying to get 3 movies out of one slim book...

It should have been 2 movies, no doubt about that. I think the 3rd one is likely the one that suffers and I wonder if they don't "add" something onto the book that might lead up to LOTR. But it wasn't a slim book...lots will happen in #2.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It was slim relative to LOTR, which was also three movies. Certainly, not enough in there to stretch to a trilogy, which is why Legolas is in the second movie - even though he wasn't in the book. I heard today that the third film may be drawn from the LOTR appendices, which is curious...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
It was slim relative to LOTR, which was also three movies. Certainly, not enough in there to stretch to a trilogy, which is why Legolas is in the second movie - even though he wasn't in the book. I heard today that the third film may be drawn from the LOTR appendices, which is curious...

Yeah, it is crazy they stretched it to three. 2 would have been perfect but money talks...and a lot of money it will be.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
New Hammer horror remake of The Abominable Snowman in the pipeline for those who like the old Hammer horror movies. Personally I love them.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12650

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Just saw Thor 2 last night. Pretty good movie though I liked the first one better. I'm not a huge comic book fan so I don't get to crazy about these movies but have enjoyed the Thor movies and 1st Iron Man movie (I haven't seen the 3rd one).

The Hobbit is coming out in a few weeks, definitely the most excited I've been for a movie in a couple years. The 2nd one should be the best given what happens in the book.

The action in Thor 2 was good but I didn't like the storyline,it didn't flow

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
shawnbm said:

That is one of the best Seller's movies ever!:laydownlaughing

Hello, Polly. You want some birdie num-num. Birdie num-num.