The Movie Reel

Emma

Masters Champion
Reactions
Batman is a typecast. No wonder Bale doesn't want to do it anymore. Ben Affleck is a terrible choice though.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
adam west could do batman again..

but he is in his 80s so he might be too tired to fly. :D did batman fly ?..I remember batman and robin running around alot in that 1960s series.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Emma said:
Batman is a typecast. No wonder Bale doesn't want to do it anymore. Ben Affleck is a terrible choice though.

I don't think Affleck is a terrible choice for Batman as much as Batman is a terrible choice for Affleck. This kind of role makes him look flat and exposes the worst of his weaknesses as...not an actor, but a star. He's a very intelligent director, and can be, as an actor, ("Argo," imo, is an example of both.) But I don't see why the Batman franchise doesn't go for fresher blood. Thoughtless, unoriginal casting, if you ask me.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
After watching "Gangster Squad" the other day I thought that Josh Brolin was born and absolutely tailor-made to play an older version of Bruce Wayne. The way he acted and physically imposed himself on the movie was exactly how I always imagined an older and grumpy version of Bruce Wayne in his late 40s, early 50s on the screen when I was reading The Dark Knight comics from Frank Miller. Such a shame they opted for the safe box office option with Affleck. What I loved about Chris Nolan was that he created his batman universe around unspent and fresh faces in Bale, Eckhardt, Ledger, Murphy, Hardy etc. and added some brillant veterans in Oldman, Freeman, Neeson, Caine etc. I don't have a problem with Affleck as an actor and he will probably do a solid job but the franchise is not heading into the direction I hoped for. Thank god for Chris Nolan. That's all I can say. His Batman trilogy will be treasured for ages to come.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw "Closed Circuit" today. A fun political thriller, though you won't be fooled. Not that there's not a lot to like, but it in the end, it's full of holes. I love Eric Bana, and I really like Rebecca Hall. And if you just want an elegant summer thriller, this is your film. But it's definitely no "All the President's Men."

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Emma said:

I don't think Affleck is a terrible choice for Batman as much as Batman is a terrible choice for Affleck. This kind of role makes him look flat and exposes the worst of his weaknesses as...not an actor, but a star. He's a very intelligent director, and can be, as an actor, ("Argo," imo, is an example of both.) But I don't see why the Batman franchise doesn't go for fresher blood. Thoughtless, unoriginal casting, if you ask me.

Ben Affleck is not a terrible choice but rather horrendous choice. Ben devastated us Marvel fans by ruining Daredevil. DC is needs to rethink this because he will bury them his overrated non talent as a actor. C Bale was perfect, Ben needs to stay far behind someone's camera.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Legendary Movie Scenes

Lord of the Rings: Riders of Rohan arrive as Minas Tirith is on the verge of falling.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs[/video]

Awesome Baron.. one of my favorite scene ever.. Good stuff

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Please sign this petition to change the minds of Warner Bros to remove Ben Affleck as Batman(Bruce Wayne) in the Superman-Batman movie.

http://www.change.org/petitions/warner-brothers-remove-ben-affleck-as-batman-bruce-wayne-in-the-superman-batman-movie#share

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
^ haha... i wanna say this is a bit over the top. but it's not. i'm afraid it's necessary.

oddest thing: i actually like Ben Affleck. i think despite some "meh" roles early on, he can be a quality actor. and he's actually a great director and producer with a good sense in making political/historical movies.

so, in some respects, very much like George Clooney.

so i guess nothing more needs to be said about how 'good' he'd be as Batman ;)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
^ haha... i wanna say this is a bit over the top. but it's not. i'm afraid it's necessary.

oddest thing: i actually like Ben Affleck. i think despite some "meh" roles early on, he can be a quality actor. and he's actually a great director and producer with a good sense in making political/historical movies.

so, in some respects, very much like George Clooney.

so i guess nothing more needs to be said about how 'good' he'd be as Batman ;)

The only thing that is worst than watching or sitting thru a Ben Affleck's acting performance is getting checked for a prostate exam:mad:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Please sign this petition to change the minds of Warner Bros to remove Ben Affleck as Batman(Bruce Wayne) in the Superman-Batman movie.

http://www.change.org/petitions/warner-brothers-remove-ben-affleck-as-batman-bruce-wayne-in-the-superman-batman-movie#share

I can't believe I signed this, but I did. What I mean is a million people could sign this, and it won't change WB's mind. No harm in signing it, though. He would be terrible.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
the AntiPusher said:

I can't believe I signed this, but I did. What I mean is a million people could sign this, and it won't change WB's mind. No harm in signing it, though. He would be terrible.

I never seen anything like this.. He knows that he is going to ruin this DC Batman series but he just doesn't care. It must be the money

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness yesterday in IMAX 3D. I won't give spoilers, will just say I highly recommend it to all Trekkies and sci-fi fans.

I finally saw it, and was very disappointed. Gene Roddenberry is rolling in his grave: the current producers have militarized Starfleet. Dreadful decision.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Grandmaster by Wong Kar-Wai. I pegged this one from the trailer for Clay Death, and finally saw it. The story of Ip Man, who trained Bruce Lee. I heard that it was cut-up for the US market, and seems to suffer from a weird edit, but I liked it a lot. It may be too arty for the martial arts fan, and too martial arts for the art-house crowd, but it is stunningly beautiful and fascinating, IMO.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5amKLgnFU[/video]

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
The Grandmaster by Wong Kar-Wai. I pegged this one from the trailer for Clay Death, and finally saw it. The story of Ip Man, who trained Bruce Lee. I heard that it was cut-up for the US market, and seems to suffer from a weird edit, but I liked it a lot. It may be too arty for the martial arts fan, and too martial arts for the art-house crowd, but it is stunningly beautiful and fascinating, IMO.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5amKLgnFU[/video]

Been meaning to watch it and have a 1080p copy here. For Ip Man movies though, you can't likely can't beat the original Ip Man (2008) with Donnie Yen. He's a total beast. This scene is just nasty.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v1Cb2d0ZUVs[/video]

Awesome Donnie Yen knife fight from SPL - Killzone

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vZs48lJXhxM[/video]3q

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Anyone went to see "The Prisoners"? Really good murder-mystery flick if you're into that genre.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Prisoners looks great alright. I probably won't go to see it in the cinema as my missus wouldn't be into watching something like that for 2.5 hours but I'm looking forward to watching it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd like to see The Grandmaster (Ziyi Zhang :heart: :smooch :please: ) but I have to say, the chop-socky ballets are in danger of becoming too easy to satirise, too lush and sentimental, the showpiece scraps too clinical and ridiculous. Sometimes they remind me of the scene in Kill Bill when a guy was sliced down the middle and another chap's decapitation caused a blood-gusher that was huger than any fire-hose reel could muster.

It's like some spaghetti westerns, they just go for overkill. I still haven't watched a modern choreographed kung-fu movie better than Crouching Tiger, and that's because it shored up the story quite tightly. Others, I've found the message to be dodgy (Hero) or the fight scenes to be too operatic and formal (House of Flying Daggers)...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:
Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness yesterday in IMAX 3D. I won't give spoilers, will just say I highly recommend it to all Trekkies and sci-fi fans.

I finally saw it, and was very disappointed. Gene Roddenberry is rolling in his grave: the current producers have militarized Starfleet. Dreadful decision.

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I thought it was great. Not as good as the first movie of this series, but a good representation of how Khan came to be.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Anyone went to see "The Prisoners"? Really good murder-mystery flick if you're into that genre.

I've been wondering about this, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love mysteries.