The Movie Reel

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sad about Paul Walker. Only 40 years old. RIP.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-paul-walker-dead-20131201,0,6107365.story

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Sad about Paul Walker. Only 40 years old. RIP.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-paul-walker-dead-20131201,0,6107365.story

Extremely Sad.. Front, I never read anything bad about this young man. God bless his soul and his young daughter\family

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Anybody here see the second installment of The Hobbit?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, saw it on Boxing Day. Average like the first flick. Not a patch on the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Scorsese flicks as a rule. Only 2 of them maybe disappointed me - the Last temptation, and After Hours. Otherwise, he's a strong director and The Wolf looks like another great film.

By the way, he's teaming up with de Niro again, after almost 20 years apart (where de Niro really suffered, let's face it). Not much detail on IMDb, but Al Pacino and Joe Pesci are also in this one...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just watched Rebecca for the first time this weekend. Dame Judith Anderson was scary good as the obsessive and controlling housemaid. Joan Fontaine was so young, naive and alluring as the second Mrs. de Winter. Sir Laurence Olivier, great as always. Fontaine is gone now, but her sister, Olivia de Havilland is still kicking at 97!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
I just watched Rebecca for the first time this weekend. Dame Judith Anderson was scary good as the obsessive and controlling housemaid. Joan Fontaine was so young, naive and alluring as the second Mrs. de Winter. Sir Laurence Olivier, great as always. Fontaine is gone now, but her sister, Olivia de Havilland is still kicking at 97!

It's a magnificent film, isn't it? A bit stagey and mannered but the story is cruel. Ms Fontaine got a name-check on the favourite actresses thread. Old school stuff, which I love. Today I caught about ten minutes of Joan Crawford and Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? It's been a while since I saw that film through, but what a pair of great actresses right there...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

It was very entertaining.. I thought it was an overall upgrade.. Yes, it cant touch the LOTR series but what story can Ever touch that brillant masterpiece!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

It was very entertaining.. I thought it was an overall upgrade.. Yes, it cant touch the LOTR series but what story can Ever touch that brillant masterpiece!

I liked it too though it kind of dragged a bit. I am guessing that they will add a ton of stuff in the 3rd one. The Hobbit story is just one book instead of three, so stretching it into 3 movies was never a good idea.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Darth Fed and Kieran(if you two are the alpha males) that I think you are, take your ladies (leave the kids at home) to go see the Wolf of Wall Street! It has everything and is a pure tour de force of an epic made by Martin Scorsese in his collaboration with Leonardo DiCaprio.. No Man on Earth has EVER had as much fun making this movie as DiCaprio does with this one. Its the best time at the movies I have had in years.. He has to win the Oscar for Best Actor but we know how simple those morons at the Academy can be.

Trust me , you all will be singing "Ah Hum":clap:lolz:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:

I'm boycotting any future LOTR wannabees. I saw the first installment last December and was quite disappointed w/ the plot and overall tone of the movie so I'm not spending anymore $$ to see the remaining trilogy. When it comes on cable I'll let you know then.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Kieran said:

I'm boycotting any future LOTR wannabees. I saw the first installment last December and was quite disappointed w/ the plot and overall tone of the movie so I'm not spending anymore $$ to see the remaining trilogy. When it comes on cable I'll let you know then.

;) :clap

I didn't think the first Hobbit movie was that bad, but then I watched it with low expectations, since it got tepid reviews when it was released. I watched it on Netflix but most likely I'll duck in the cineplex and catch the second installment in 3D. I'm ambivalent about the additions - Legolas and the girl from Lost - or anything else that is extraneous to the books, but that's probably unfair of me.

The films aren't the books - they're films. And they have to stand on their own. But I can see where you're coming from...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Kieran said:

It's not an LOTR wannabe, it is the prequel to that trilogy. It was an excellent book too, they just haven't done as great a job with the movies as they should, starting with the decision to make it a trilogy. It's in a way similar to the Star Wars prequels, can't beat the originals.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
kskate2 said:
Kieran said:

;) :clap

I didn't think the first Hobbit movie was that bad, but then I watched it with low expectations, since it got tepid reviews when it was released. I watched it on Netflix but most likely I'll duck in the cineplex and catch the second installment in 3D. I'm ambivalent about the additions - Legolas and the girl from Lost - or anything else that is extraneous to the books, but that's probably unfair of me.

The films aren't the books - they're films. And they have to stand on their own. But I can see where you're coming from...

Well Kieran I saw the 1st one in IMAX 3D and it cost me $13 to go to a matinee. So you can see why I won't spend any more $$.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw Gravity recently in IMAX 3D and loved the film and the experience, but i know what you mean. Actually, one of the trailers was for the 2nd Hobbit flick and I thought it looked odd in 3D, though I don't know why...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
I saw Gravity recently in IMAX 3D and loved the film and the experience, but i know what you mean. Actually, one of the trailers was for the 2nd Hobbit flick and I thought it looked odd in 3D, though I don't know why...

The special EFX in 3D were actually pretty good, if you like 3D. It was the rest of the movie I didn't care for.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Kieran said:

The special EFX in 3D were actually pretty good, if you like 3D. It was the rest of the movie I didn't care for.

Did you like Gravity? I did.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Darth Fed and Kieran(if you two are the alpha males) that I think you are, take your ladies (leave the kids at home) to go see the Wolf of Wall Street! It has everything and is a pure tour de force of an epic made by Martin Scorsese in his collaboration with Leonardo DiCaprio.. No Man on Earth has EVER had as much fun making this movie as DiCaprio does with this one. Its the best time at the movies I have had in years.. He has to win the Oscar for Best Actor but we know how simple those morons at the Academy can be.

Trust me , you all will be singing "Ah Hum":clap:lolz:

I've heard great things about it, including how unsuspecting elderly people had to leave the movie as it was so appalling. Sounds like a winner!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
kskate2 said:
Kieran said:

Did you like Gravity? I did.

Mox I didn't see Gravity. I was referring to the 3D in The Hobbit.