The Movie Reel

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel like I'm bringing together tennis and the topic du jour of this thread....:astonished-face:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't have the foggiest idea why you think that article has anything to do with the position some of my black friends took :face-with-tears-of-joy: Do you even remember/understand what I said?

I don't have the foggiest idea why you think that article has anything to do with the position some of my black friends took :face-with-tears-of-joy: Do you even remember/understand what I said?
You were the one who said you had black friends who you spoke with..so what is it for me to understand. I don't see why you even brought up the subject of your black acquaintances. FB I told you , you take things down a slippery slope when you tried to speak of how your friends see things. Remember/ understand are mutually exclusive scenarios. If you want to refresh your post you can but again we should end it because we are not going to agree.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched the other new Kenneth Branagh movie, Death on the Nile. I’m partial to whodunits so I was always going to watch it, even if Agatha Christie basically wrote the same story each time, only having the corpse discovered in a different library, for the sake of variety. Generally there’s about 12 guests, all of them friends or acquaintances of the murdered, all of them reasonably suspicious.

I enjoyed this. There’s good humour in it, and it’s absolutely luscious to look at. It begs to be seen on a big screen. The story we all know, but the cast are excellent and I think they deviate enough from previous versions to keep us guessing. Kenneth Branagh is a man of extraordinary range and gifts. He does it all! Okay, so he also does a hokey accent, and the moustache has its own origin tale, but that’s grand, and the accent is what’s to be expected from Poirot…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reading this, it seems that there has already been a lot of wearing of the hair shirt by Will Smith. He already resigned from the Academy. He doesn't get to present next year.

“We will continue to move forward with our disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, in advance of our next scheduled board meeting on April 18.”

That, and the 10-year ban, seems like a bit too much, IMO.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Reading this, it seems that there has already been a lot of wearing of the hair shirt by Will Smith. He already resigned from the Academy. He doesn't get to present next year.

“We will continue to move forward with our disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, in advance of our next scheduled board meeting on April 18.”

Absolutely, and it begs the question as to what more they can actually do. It’s like banning a retired athlete from the next Olympics. He hears of the ban and he’s like this:

:popcorn

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Don't you think the Academy in giving a 10 year ban to Will Smith, was sending out a strong message that it will not stand for violence in any shape or form from it's members period.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't you think the Academy in giving a 10 year ban to Will Smith, was sending out a strong message that it will not stand for violence in any shape or form from it's members period.
they do stand for violence though. They laud films with violence. In a way what happened couldn't be more Hollywood. The drama etc. What happened revealed the flaws in all of our humanity. While I heartily agree with the punishment, I also can't escape the feeling that there is a huge lack of sincerity in what they did. I think they did it because they had to do something. They had to respond to protect themselves. If they were a truly honourable institution the likes of Weinstein and Pollansky would get more of a punishment than they did. They did far more damage but society isn't holding the Oscars institution accountable for them..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m watching Parasite - I had to take a break. Not because it’s bad but because it too bloody great! It’s excruciating and embarrassing and edge of the seat, can’t-look-away, can’t-watch!

It’s brilliant! :lulz1:

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m watching Parasite - I had to take a break. Not because it’s bad but because it too bloody great! It’s excruciating and embarrassing and edge of the seat, can’t-look-away, can’t-watch!

Loved that one! Hilarious and creepy and tense.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Loved that one! Hilarious and creepy and tense.
It had me feeling every emotion at more or less the same time, including pity, shame and glee. He’s a great film maker!

Did you know he released a black and white version of this? I can’t imagine it in black and white, but maybe it works even better, with the emotions even more heightened?

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
It had me feeling every emotion at more or less the same time, including pity, shame and glee. He’s a great film maker!

Did you know he released a black and white version of this? I can’t imagine it in black and white, but maybe it works even better, with the emotions even more heightened?
Did you finish it? (I won’t say anything else until I know. It has the plot twist to end all plot twists — and that’s no spoiler, because I firmly believe no one would ever see it coming.)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Did you finish it? (I won’t say anything else until I know. It has the plot twist to end all plot twists — and that’s no spoiler, because I firmly believe no one would ever see it coming.)
I’m glad I didn’t read this earlier - that was a shocker! What a film though. Very sad and creepy. Brilliant. Have you seen the B&W version?

I like this bloke take on the black and white thing:

Last edited:
Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m glad I didn’t read this earlier - that was a shocker! What a film though. Very sad and creepy. Brilliant. Have you seen the B&W version?

I like this bloke take on the black and white thing:

This is an excellent analysis of the difference between B/W and color, in this film. Important point is that you make different choices, if you're going to make the film I'm B/W, originally. I thought the colors were so important that I have a hard time picturing it in B/W, though I rather admire the director for the experiment. When you brought it up, the film, I thought I'd watch it again. Then you offered the choice of seeing the b/w version. Watching this, I think I will rewatch in the color version. The cinematography was one thing I loved about it, and the director's desire to figure out how much he'd like it in b/w doesn't out-weight to me how much it worked in color.

Reactions: tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is an excellent analysis of the difference between B/W and color, in this film. Important point is that you make different choices, if you're going to make the film I'm B/W, originally. I thought the colors were so important that I have a hard time picturing it in B/W, though I rather admire the director for the experiment. When you brought it up, the film, I thought I'd watch it again. Then you offered the choice of seeing the b/w version. Watching this, I think I will rewatch in the color version. The cinematography was one thing I loved about it, and the director's desire to figure out how much he'd like it in b/w doesn't out-weight to me how much it worked in color.
Totally agree. The colour is so vivid that I can’t see an argument for the black and white version. And as the analysis in the video says, “the emphasis of greenery and nature that surrounds the rich family’s house.” But I also agree that he’s to be admired for trying this, and maybe a future film from him will be made in black and white? It’s definitely a completely different cinematic experience, and this is why we all love black and films, because in the hands of a great cinematographer, we get those dramatic contrasts between dark and light, and of course they can’t help but still feel colourful, while they also become a necessary part of the storytelling toolkit.

Sometimes I think that films in colour have it a lot easier, from that perspective: the eye is already there before the film starts. But black and white films are a distinct art form, and with less “easy” options, the director has a whole other way to be creative.

It’s an interesting topic, and we’ve seen some new films recently made in black and white, and after a while you don’t really notice…

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Parasite was a good movie. I enjoyed it. Speaking of Korean movies they like to expose social class differences. This country become quite rich in a short span of time which contributed to widening the gap between the rich and the poor. Well at least they feel like it. They explore this stuff in another movie called The Burning a.k.a. Beoning (2018) which was quite good one as well. If you like crime try this extraordinary movie called Memories of Murder a.k.a Salinui chueok (2003). Also I can remember watching The Wailing a.k.a. Gokseong (2016) which was weird, but entertaining.

Just watched Power of the Dog. I felt like something was missing and the more I watched it the more I felt it turned into Brokeback Mountain 2. I liked the music though and acting was good too. Didn't like the ending, thought it was sloppy. I don't know what's with this gay movies, but I keep bumping into them recently. Watched Portrait of the lady on fire (2019). French movie that on the other hand had very powerful ending.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Parasite was a good movie. I enjoyed it. Speaking of Korean movies they like to expose social class differences. This country become quite rich in a short span of time which contributed to widening the gap between the rich and the poor. Well at least they feel like it. They explore this stuff in another movie called The Burning a.k.a. Beoning (2018) which was quite good one as well. If you like crime try this extraordinary movie called Memories of Murder a.k.a Salinui chueok (2003). Also I can remember watching The Wailing a.k.a. Gokseong (2016) which was weird, but entertaining.

Just watched Power of the Dog. I felt like something was missing and the more I watched it the more I felt it turned into Brokeback Mountain 2. I liked the music though and acting was good too. Didn't like the ending, thought it was sloppy. I don't know what's with this gay movies, but I keep bumping into them recently. Watched Portrait of the lady on fire (2019). French movie that on the other hand had very powerful ending.
Thanks for the recommendations! I love Korean films and TV shows, they have such depth and width to their vocabulary. Some of them are weird, which is great. They have hero tales, martial arts. A really powerful film industry there. A very good Korean TV show I watched last year was The Good Detective.

I haven't seen Portrait of the lady on fire. I love the title and I want to see it, so you bumped it up the list for me!

Reactions: don_fabio