The Movie Reel

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for the recommendations! I love Korean films and TV shows, they have such depth and width to their vocabulary. Some of them are weird, which is great. They have hero tales, martial arts. A really powerful film industry there. A very good Korean TV show I watched last year was The Good Detective.

I haven't seen Portrait of the lady on fire. I love the title and I want to see it, so you bumped it up the list for me!
Thank you for your recommendation. I haven't watched that show, sounds interesting so I will put it on my list. Yes Koreans have strong film industry and they like violence and weird stuff, which suits my taste. Most recent hit from last year Squid Game was most watched Netflix show which again explores rich and poor.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Thank you for your recommendation. I haven't watched that show, sounds interesting so I will put it on my list. Yes Koreans have strong film industry and they like violence and weird stuff, which suits my taste. Most recent hit from last year Squid Game was most watched Netflix show which again explores rich and poor.
I read about that but I also read it's violent? And I am that man who reads warnings on IMDb, because I’m not hugely at ease with too much violence. I’m squeamish! I look away after turning off the volume. Mainly though, if it’s gratuitous violence, which like nudity in films, it’s always gratuitous. I don’t mind the nudity, but with violence I kinda know what’s gonna happen, I don’t need to see blood spatter anywhere too, you know?

Having said that, I love gangster flicks, Scorsese and Tarantino, chop socky films, so it depends really, I suppose…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I read about that but I also read it's violent? And I am that man who reads warnings on IMDb, because I’m not hugely at ease with too much violence. I’m squeamish! I look away after turning off the volume. Mainly though, if it’s gratuitous violence, which like nudity in films, it’s always gratuitous. I don’t mind the nudity, but with violence I kinda know what’s gonna happen, I don’t need to see blood spatter anywhere too, you know?

Having said that, I love gangster flicks, Scorsese and Tarantino, chop socky films, so it depends really, I suppose…
I'm with you, rather squeamish about violence, though I can take it if it's not too gratuitous and makes sense. (I can even take a Tarantino like Kill Bill, because it's so clever and funny. Though I do have to close my eyes sometimes. And plug my ears.) I didn't watch Squid Game. Too much? Maybe @don_fabio will tell us.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm with you, rather squeamish about violence, though I can take it if it's not too gratuitous and makes sense. (I can even take a Tarantino like Kill Bill, because it's so clever and funny. Though I do have to close my eyes sometimes. And plug my ears.) I didn't watch Squid Game. Too much? Maybe @don_fabio will tell us.
Yeah it depends on the violence. Torture is out for me. And there’s been a lot of TV shows based around the exploitation of young women, usually chained to a bed in a basement, skimpily clad, with a stocking in their mouth. A wholly unimaginative variant on this to have children kidnapped, or killed. I skip all that shite.

In movies, too much gore or torture and I’m hitting the silent button. But IMDb is usually a pal and sets me wise to the worst of it. Generally though I like westerns and gangster films, and they can be quite violent. I like Tarantino films in general, and his violence is quite cartoonish so I don’t mind that too much..

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah it depends on the violence. Torture is out for me. And there’s been a lot of TV shows based around the exploitation of young women, usually chained to a bed in a basement, skimpily clad, with a stocking in their mouth. A wholly unimaginative variant on this to have children kidnapped, or killed. I skip all that shite.

In movies, too much gore or torture and I’m hitting the silent button. But IMDb is usually a pal and sets me wise to the worst of it. Generally though I like westerns and gangster films, and they can be quite violent. I like Tarantino films in general, and his violence is quite cartoonish so I don’t mind that too much..
I acknowledge the fact that violence exists in society, and I love film as an art form, so I understand that it will go there sometimes, and often make us uncomfortable. Realistic violence with real-world reverberations is generally the most disturbing to me, even when it isn't the most explicit, because it really looks at the worst of human nature. But I'm generally willing to endure that, when it is in the service of art and a higher purpose. (Though I do sometimes look away and plug my ears.) We all draw our own lines. I remember reading a review of Gaspar Noé's "Irreversible," which opens with a 15 minute rape scene. While the film was very well reviewed, one, IMO, very responsible reviewer did warn, "you can't un-see that scene, and you should decide for yourselves about seeing the film." I decided against.

"Broadchurch" (yes, TV show, but indulge the spill-over) did have as its first season a story of a child murder, my sister-in-law's reason for skipping it. I thought it was intelligently done and I admired the show. (The violence was never on-screen, it was the subject of the story line, which was disturbing enough, but led to many interesting explorations.)

As to the other kind of violence, the more "cartoonish," I agree it's sort of different conversation. There is the middle-ground, which Tarantino occupies...really great filmmaking, often with rather a lot of blood and gore, in the Grand Guignol vein, which often makes me laugh, and it's intended to. High-brow homages to low-brow genres. And he's not the only one. I usually enjoy this type.

And I'm not above mindless fun with a high-body count. If I'm being serious and school-marmy, I will say that there is a down-side to cartoonish violence to no especially good point, where lots of anonymous people die, as in a video game, and as if violence has no consequences. That said, I'm not anti-fun, and I will see and enjoy movies like that, particularly if they are well-made and have smart scripts. ("Deadpool" comes to mind.) However, there are a lot of those films that are not made for me, which I recognize, and can happily skip.

Then there is the lower-rung, which is the horror/slasher genre, and that ilk. I have no interest, and you can't make me. It was reaching a nadir of late, a few years back, (the "Saw" films and such,) but there is some very good psychological horror making a resurgence, and that is for another day. I do like a good scare.

Sorry to go on, but I do think the topic of violence in films is very interesting. I once worked on a film about gun trafficking in NYC. (I say this on a day of gun violence in NYC, sadly.) It was about how guns come illegally into NYC, and the consequences. It comes to a head when a kid uses a gun in a dumb robbery in a bodega, and a child gets shot. The day we filmed it was a solemn day, even though the space was too small for most of us to be on set. The next evening, when we went to the screening of the dailies, which used to be on film and we watched in a screening room at the lab, we watched all of the takes, much of the mother's grief in slow-motion, with no cuts. When the lights came up, a lot of even the toughest guys on my crew were wiping away tears. This, IMO, is responsible use of violence in film. We were there to know it was all fake, and still it moved us.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Squid Game will be too much for you in this case and also for @Kieran . But it has awesome music theme small piece which suits nicely the whole TV series, perhaps worth listening on yt, should not be violence there :)

Funny how you mentioned Irreversible while talking about violence on the screen, as that was the first thing that came to my mind when you guys started talking that you are sqeumish about violence. I had to google squemish, never saw that word used, we learn every day eh.

Back to Ireversible and violence, I do agree that scene and even some others in that movie which I managed to watch fully are just too much. There is no going back once you see it. I watched that movie when it came out which was quite some time ago and that rape scene and face smash with fire exstinguisher glued to my memory and honestly I still remember it.

Picking a Broadchurch is a nice comparison how violence is basically never shown and you can imagine things. Sometimes after watching some puzzling movie or TV series I like to visit review sites, where people also offer their theories and what it all meant in their opinion, then I compare it with mine. David Lynch movies used to be like this, very open to interpretation.

Tarantino combines violence with laugh unbelievably well and when done like is the perfect mixture. As long as violence serves the purpose and is not too much for my taste I'm ok with it.

I can also watch gore stuff like Saw and such, I don't mind blood and all that.

I do not like horrors, they fuck with my mind too much, especially when there is some exorcist kind of stuff and haunted houses, it can be very disturbing to watch for me.

I feel like Hollywood nowadays makes too many horror movies and Marvel copy paste movies and then some little space left for other movies where you need to navigate and find some good ones. Used to be much more good movies coming out regularly, just a few decades ago nearly all movies you would borrow from a video store were good ones. Those were the good old days when quality was more important than quantity.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Squid Game will be too much for you in this case and also for @Kieran . But it has awesome music theme small piece which suits nicely the whole TV series, perhaps worth listening on yt, should not be violence there :)
Thanks for the heads-up. I may give one episode a look to know what its about...I would be watching at home, so I can always bail out.

Funny how you mentioned Irreversible while talking about violence on the screen, as that was the first thing that came to my mind when you guys started talking that you are sqeumish about violence. I had to google squemish, never saw that word used, we learn every day eh.

Back to Ireversible and violence, I do agree that scene and even some others in that movie which I managed to watch fully are just too much. There is no going back once you see it. I watched that movie when it came out which was quite some time ago and that rape scene and face smash with fire exstinguisher glued to my memory and honestly I still remember it.
It is funny that you thought of Irreversible, too. I'm remembering it back from when it came out, that review, and my decision not to see it. And you actually backed that reviewer up: you can't unsee it. And you say it leapt to the front of your memory, all these years later, as an example. By many reviews, it's not a gratuitous film, and it has artistic merit. (You tell me.) Maybe the word "harrowing" is apt here. And when combined with graphic violence, it will surely be too much for some, but I don't deny the work of an artist to confront those things, or even the choice of the artist/filmmaker to make the choice to use graphic violence. As I said, as viewers, we make choices, too. As to being "squeamish" about violence, (note correct spelling...if we're going to teach you a word, we have to teach you how to spell it...) I don't think of myself as being especially squeamish. I'm open to lots of different kinds of films, I am not against any genre, which I think I spoke about above, and will below.

Picking a Broadchurch is a nice comparison how violence is basically never shown and you can imagine things.
I can deal with a theme that is upsetting, when intelligently handled. My sister-in-law, for example, though, who is very squeamish, rules certain things like Broadchurch out immediately, as she just can't even deal with the theme. Well, that's her choice, which I respect.
Sometimes after watching some puzzling movie or TV series I like to visit review sites, where people also offer their theories and what it all meant in their opinion, then I compare it with mine. David Lynch movies used to be like this, very open to interpretation.
I've always found Mulholland Drive very mysterious. And all of them, really. He lives in his own weird fever dream. I love David Lynch, generally.
Tarantino combines violence with laugh unbelievably well and when done like is the perfect mixture. As long as violence serves the purpose and is not too much for my taste I'm ok with it.
I used to wish that Tarantino would make more films like Jackie Brown, which I think was his most mature, but I get that he has a certain sensibility, and I accept it. He seems rather a stunted human being to me, but he's a pretty great filmmaker.
I can also watch gore stuff like Saw and such, I don't mind blood and all that.

I do not like horrors, they fuck with my mind too much, especially when there is some exorcist kind of stuff and haunted houses, it can be very disturbing to watch for me.
Here is a funny place where we diverge. I can't deal with the gore/slasher movies (mainly as they seem too stupid and pointless to me,) but I like a good psychological horror. I'm guessing you didn't like The Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby or Poltergeist?. Did you see Get Out! or Us? Loved those. There are a lot of great Japanese ones out there, and I have seen very few, and a spate of women-directed ones lately I want to check out.
I feel like Hollywood nowadays makes too many horror movies and Marvel copy paste movies and then some little space left for other movies where you need to navigate and find some good ones. Used to be much more good movies coming out regularly, just a few decades ago nearly all movies you would borrow from a video store were good ones. Those were the good old days when quality was more important than quantity.
Totally agree that Hollywood has given over particularly to the comic book franchise boringness. (Though Wonder Woman was one I liked, naturally.) But yes, I miss them supporting films for grown-ups. I hope we don't stop going to movie theaters, as it is a unique experience, but Hollywood seems to think we only go for the IMAX or shake-your-seat-o-vision, explosions and big effects. I'm still trying to make the argument that really complicated films are the ones that require our attention, and beautifully shot ones still warrant the big screen, but we'll see how that goes.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here is a funny place where we diverge. I can't deal with the gore/slasher movies (mainly as they seem too stupid and pointless to me,) but I like a good psychological horror. I'm guessing you didn't like The Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby or Poltergeist?. Did you see Get Out! or Us? Loved those. There are a lot of great Japanese ones out there, and I have seen very few, and a spate of women-directed ones lately I want to check out.
Maybe I've put it too simply by writing I do not like horror movies. I actually wanted to express that they can be disturbing to me and it's not that I don't like them I put that wrongly, but in fact I approach those movies with caution. I watched a good deal of horror movies and found many of them very good.

I think my scars with horror movies developed when I watched japanese The Ring and The Grudge, very disturbing stuff, but japanese ara masters at this. They even remade this in hollywood, but I haven't watched them, only the originals. Every now and then I will watch one horror movie that comes out and if the reviews are good. I did actually watch Get Out and Us and found both very well done, but they were not too disturbing, like for example The Conjuring...I like the Rosemary's baby that's a classic from Polansky (would also add his other 2 tenants movies, The Apartment and was it The Tenant? All 3 are classics to me..). In general horrors from 70s are great, The Exorcist, Carrie, The Omen, Suspiria...

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Totally agree that Hollywood has given over particularly to the comic book franchise boringness. (Though Wonder Woman was one I liked, naturally.) But yes, I miss them supporting films for grown-ups. I hope we don't stop going to movie theaters, as it is a unique experience, but Hollywood seems to think we only go for the IMAX or shake-your-seat-o-vision, explosions and big effects. I'm still trying to make the argument that really complicated films are the ones that require our attention, and beautifully shot ones still warrant the big screen, but we'll see how that goes.
Yes, the CGI has ruined the film industry in a way. Many scenes shot in front of the green canvas and then all done by the computers to make it look real. Don't get me wrong, technology really improved and all looks so good on a screen now, but it is like you mentioned gets to the point when it is all about big effects and explosions. Add a little a bit of humor to it, usual story and there is the movie.

Like for example I watched Aliens again few years back and even today that movie looks fantastic, but in those days they'd built a lot of stuff to make it look real. Nowadays they employ all these computer guys and every movie looks the same. Budgets of the movies went over the roof and if they just reduced the amount of effects and focused on story lines and depth we would get more movies for grown-ups.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe I've put it too simply by writing I do not like horror movies. I actually wanted to express that they can be disturbing to me and it's not that I don't like them I put that wrongly, but in fact I approach those movies with caution. I watched a good deal of horror movies and found many of them very good.

I think my scars with horror movies developed when I watched japanese The Ring and The Grudge, very disturbing stuff, but japanese ara masters at this. They even remade this in hollywood, but I haven't watched them, only the originals. Every now and then I will watch one horror movie that comes out and if the reviews are good. I did actually watch Get Out and Us and found both very well done, but they were not too disturbing, like for example The Conjuring...I like the Rosemary's baby that's a classic from Polansky (would also add his other 2 tenants movies, The Apartment and was it The Tenant? All 3 are classics to me..). In general horrors from 70s are great, The Exorcist, Carrie, The Omen, Suspiria...
Those are the Japanese ones I haven't seen. Haven't seen The Conjuring. But I know the rest. (The Polansky one is the Tenant. The Apartment is different 60s film, also good, but not horror.) Suspiria is interestingly mentioned. I liked the Dario Argento one, but not the remake. Carrie has buckets of blood, and I did think it was good.

Here's an interesting note both to the issue of choosing black and white, and mitigating horror: Hitchcock chose to shoot Psycho in B/W precisely because it would be too horrifying in color, even though he'd been working in color for years prior. My understanding is that they used chocolate syrup for the blood in the shower scene. And that people didn't take showers for years after watching that film. However dopey the ending, it's a really scary film.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, the CGI has ruined the film industry in a way. Many scenes shot in front of the green canvas and then all done by the computers to make it look real. Don't get me wrong, technology really improved and all looks so good on a screen now, but it is like you mentioned gets to the point when it is all about big effects and explosions. Add a little a bit of humor to it, usual story and there is the movie.

Like for example I watched Aliens again few years back and even today that movie looks fantastic, but in those days they'd built a lot of stuff to make it look real. Nowadays they employ all these computer guys and every movie looks the same. Budgets of the movies went over the roof and if they just reduced the amount of effects and focused on story lines and depth we would get more movies for grown-ups.
The original Alien, though, that is a great horror film.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw a rather sweet film yesterday, The Rose Maker/La Fine Fleur. It's gets by as an art film as it's French, but it's basically commercial. A bit goofy, sentimental, but very appealing. The great Catherine Frot carries it. I think @Horsa will like it. It will get you in the end, though.

Reactions: Horsa and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You know, for some reason I had to remind myself that Nightmare Alley was not a black and white, but now they’re releasing a black and white version of it. Now we discussed this above, regarding Parasite, and it’s black and white, and I agree with @Moxie that the “colors were so important” for that movie, but this film? I think it might even be improved by being in black and white and I don’t know why they didn’t go with the B&W version first…

https://www.slashfilm.com/836284/gu...lRRHWUAPkVWakTimxdVabzbLO8sz_XM9ze78FQi6llL1E

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Japanese The Ring is an incredible film, great idea and very scary. I saw that in the Irish Film Center in temple bar, and didn’t know what to expect. When Sadako crawled out of the television, I couldn’t forget it for ages… :oops:

Reactions: don_fabio

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I saw a rather sweet film yesterday, The Rose Maker/La Fine Fleur. It's gets by as an art film as it's French, but it's basically commercial. A bit goofy, sentimental, but very appealing. The great Catherine Frot carries it. I think @Horsa will like it. It will get you in the end, though.

Thank you very much for the recommendation, Moxie. It looks like the sort of film my sister will like. We used to go to the cinema together quite a few times before the 1st lockdown. After all that's gone on & is going on it might do us both good to go to see it together.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You know, for some reason I had to remind myself that Nightmare Alley was not a black and white, but now they’re releasing a black and white version of it. Now we discussed this above, regarding Parasite, and it’s black and white, and I agree with @Moxie that the “colors were so important” for that movie, but this film? I think it might even be improved by being in black and white and I don’t know why they didn’t go with the B&W version first…

https://www.slashfilm.com/836284/gu...lRRHWUAPkVWakTimxdVabzbLO8sz_XM9ze78FQi6llL1E
This is funny, because I had that same thing...I don't remember if posting here or talking to a friend. Discussing that there were rather a lot of b/w films last year and the one before. I said, or was going to say "Nightmare Alley," and had to remind myself it was made in color, since it's such a "noir." It actually looks great in b/w, from the article you linked. But since he's going back to revisit, I still think he should cut it down. It's too long and flabby, which isn't normally his way. And we both do agree on Parasite, that it should stay in color.

Talking of b/w films, I'm going to bring "Roma" back up. The Alfonso Cuarón film that won buckets of Oscars. I absolutely loved that film, and I hope you all have seen it. It's my favorite film of more than the last few years. I loved "Belfast" which was also in B/W, a good choice. I'm pretty sure I wrote up "Passing," which I found flawed but beautiful in many ways. Haven't seen "C'mon, c'mon," which is supposed to be very good.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is funny, because I had that same thing...I don't remember if posting here or talking to a friend. Discussing that there were rather a lot of b/w films last year and the one before. I said, or was going to say "Nightmare Alley," and had to remind myself it was made in color, since it's such a "noir." It actually looks great in b/w, from the article you linked. But since he's going back to revisit, I still think he should cut it down. It's too long and flabby, which isn't normally his way. And we both do agree on Parasite, that it should stay in color.

Talking of b/w films, I'm going to bring "Roma" back up. The Alfonso Cuarón film that won buckets of Oscars. I absolutely loved that film, and I hope you all have seen it. It's my favorite film of more than the last few years. I loved "Belfast" which was also in B/W, a good choice. I'm pretty sure I wrote up "Passing," which I found flawed but beautiful in many ways. Haven't seen "C'mon, c'mon," which is supposed to be very good.
I re-watched Roma last night, it is one of my favorite films too of the last couple of years...

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Roma was beautiful and powerful - and black and white really suited it, even though it would be sumptuous in colour. It was sumptuous in black and white. We also had Mank, which I enjoyed, and because it was a movie about making a movie, to an extent, being in black and white really focused my eye on the genius of those old great filmmakers, and films, which used light and shade to remarkable effect. There have been a good few black and white movies in the last few years and I hope this trend continues. I think it became too expensive to make black and whites for a while, but now the technology is better? You’d know this better than I.

Fun trivia: when Tarantino was in talks with Pierce Brosnan over a Bond idea when Pierce was Bond, a Casino Royale, written and directed by Tarantino, and starring Brosnan, they wanted to make it in black and white, and set it in the fifties or sixties. Now that’s a reboot, isn’t it? And a Tarantino black and white film might be something worth seeing…