The Movie Reel

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, it’s funny that they put out a statement saying that he refused to leave. I think Smith has been punished enough. He’s suffering. I think they should leave him alone now…
There is a difference between “suffering” and simply having consequences arise from your actions. We’ve all been there and it’s a fuzzy grey line at times.

If they decide to expell him from the Academy that is a consequence of his actions.

I will say this, Chris Rock is going to be identified as being bitchslapped the.rest.of.his.life.

Reactions: Federberg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
There is a difference between “suffering” and simply having consequences arise from your actions. We’ve all been there and it’s a fuzzy grey line at times.

If they decide to expell him from the Academy that is a consequence of his actions.

I will say this, Chris Rock is going to be identified as being bitchslapped the.rest.of.his.life.
But I would say that the suffering is enough consequence for this action. I don’t think there’s anything to be gained by further consequences. Particularly given that the nature of the world today is overkill, that analysis of a situation is generally ruled by mob minds. But I agree a terrible thing was done to Chris Rock, and I think that how this is remembered from his perspective will also be determined by how he continues to handle himself. He couldn’t do anything about the slap, but he can win the peace, if you get me…

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But I would say that the suffering is enough consequence for this action. I don’t think there’s anything to be gained by further consequences. Particularly given that the nature of the world today is overkill, that analysis of a situation is generally ruled by mob minds. But I agree a terrible thing was done to Chris Rock, and I think that how this is remembered from his perspective will also be determined by how he continues to handle himself. He couldn’t do anything about the slap, but he can win the peace, if you get me…
I’m a little confused, are you saying if the academy decides to expel him for striking someone during their live and televised ceremony, this is a result of “mob mentality”, “overkill” and that he’s had enough suffering?

Here’s a simple reason, that any act of violence will have consequences for the perpetrator.

I can think of several organizations I belong to even now that If I did something similar, most likely I would be expelled or banned. Even closer to home for me, if I slapped a fellow competitor in a city league event because of a verbal incident, for sure I would be banned. That would hardly be surprising yet somehow because he’s a beloved celebrity Will Smith should be exempt from such consequences?

Reactions: Horsa

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m a little confused, are you saying if the academy decides to expel him for striking someone during their live and televised ceremony, this is a result of “mob mentality”, “overkill” and that he’s had enough suffering?

Here’s a simple reason, that any act of violence will have consequences for the perpetrator.

I can think of several organizations I belong to even now that If I did something similar, most likely I would be expelled or banned. Even closer to home for me, if I slapped a fellow competitor in a city league event because of a verbal incident, for sure I would be banned. That would hardly be surprising yet somehow because he’s a beloved celebrity Will Smith should be exempt from such consequences?
No, I agree with you in that, but since he’s left the academy, it’s not really a “punishment” to chuck him out.

What I was thinking of - and I went further into this in a post below my original post - was the suggestion that Netflix are cancelling a planned movie, and the unfortunately common feeling that a self-righteous mob of loudmouth keyboard warriors would inflict even more damage to him. Or that any corporate punishment would reflect a fear of this kind of excessive public backlash. The academy stuff is a fait accompli, they have a right to do this, and they probably will. But I’d hate for his career to be ended because of this, too…

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol! You were the one who brought hyperbole into the discussion. Whether Chris Rock was aware or not about her condition is less relevant than the fact that he had already demonstrated a sensitivity to the issues African American women have about their hair in a society where they are required to present themselves in a particular way to be deemed acceptable. He made a whole documentary about it, apparently inspired by his own daughter! This didn't stop him from making a joke at her expense and for his own personal gain. I repeat... for the nth time, I am not in support of Will Smith's actions, even though you appear to think I am. I am merely stating that if there's a real victim in all this, it's Jada and neither of the men. And I'm debating this issue as a Chris Rock fan. I'm no Will Smith fan boy, and I am most certainly not a Jada supporter. I find her a bit shrill and to be honest I was disgusted with her openly throwing her entaglements thing publicly in Will Smith's face. I thought that was emasculating. But this isn't about that. It just seems to me that we should be fair about constructing an honest context for what occurred.

On another note, I'm disturbed to hear that Chris Rock has been going to therapy for years to deal with being a victim of bullying. I hope he isn't the type to get suicidal. If Will Smith was aware about his history with bullying then that might be a particularly evil and violent response on his part. Both Rock and Smith were on the wrong side of this in my opinion. Let's not blame the one person who didn't go on stage and make an a$$ of themselves. That's all I'm saying...
Tiffany is a very good journalist..She is correct.. I think when you mentioned you spoke with a few of your black acquaintances you were seeking a different perspective.. Tiffany isnt directing this at all White people but the ones such as yourself(FB) that made the statements you made the immediate hours following this incident.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Tiffany is a very good journalist..She is correct.. I think when you mentioned you spoke with a few of your black acquaintances you were seeking a different perspective.. Tiffany isnt directing this at all White people but the ones such as yourself(FB) that made the statements you made the immediate hours following this incident.

I don’t think she’s making a sensible argument there, brother. She’s appealing to a lowbrow form of identity politics to try silence people, and it won’t wash. Her analogy is also lousy.
“If we went to a white person’s home and it was their family dinner, we were sitting at the table, and the mother hauled off and slapped the father and everybody at the table has an opinion,” Cross added.

“If I weigh in as the guest in this home and say, ‘Yeah, you guys are terrible,’ everybody’s like, ‘I’m sorry. When did you get an opinion? This is our family table,’” she said.
I’d hope we’d intercede and call out this abuse of the father who’s slapped and not let the aggressor hide behind a BS excuse.

White people can discuss the slap and see it for what it is.
“Some people use their words, some people use their hands. It is what it is. In the black community, we understand that,” Brown said.

This is a racist comment, no matter who says it. Black people aren’t incapable of using words. And white people aren’t beyond using violence. I actually despise identity politics because it encourages ignorance, and she’s expressing ignorance here. If she thinks that she’s fencing black people off from criticism from white people, she’s deluded. She’s actually encouraging the worst image a racist might have of black people. Most people I’ve discussed this with are of the opinion that no matter who was involved - it’s wrong!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t think she’s making a sensible argument there, brother. She’s appealing to a lowbrow form of identity politics to try silence people, and it won’t wash. Her analogy is also lousy.

I’d hope we’d intercede and call out this abuse of the father who’s slapped and not let the aggressor hide behind a BS excuse.

White people can discuss the slap and see it for what it is.

This is a racist comment, no matter who says it. Black people aren’t incapable of using words. And white people aren’t beyond using violence. I actually despise identity politics because it encourages ignorance, and she’s expressing ignorance here. If she thinks that she’s fencing black people off from criticism from white people, she’s deluded. She’s actually encouraging the worst image a racist might have of black people. Most people I’ve discussed this with are of the opinion that no matter who was involved - it’s wrong!
I knew it would be controversial. Yet, its not political. Tiffany has a right to see things the way she does because she comes from and may still lives in the community. Tiffany interacts with blacks both political and socially on the Right and the Left. She isn't saying anything racist. That's like saying Latin or Asian people can't speak about how things are perceived and judge within their communities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I knew it would be controversial. Yet, its not political. Tiffany has a right to see things the way she does because she comes from and may still lives in the community. Tiffany interacts with blacks both political and socially on the Right and the Left. She isn't saying anything racist. That's like saying Latin or Asian people can't speak about how things are perceived and judge within their communities.
Of course they can - and so can everybody else. Trying to divide us by race and say that white people should “sit this out?” No, not gonna happen. It’s racist. What happened on stage that night isn’t a black thing that white people can’t speak about. It was a physical assault, on Oscar’s night. Everybody should condemn it. It doesn’t get easier to understand if we attribute it somehow to some particular racial idiosyncrasy…

Reactions: Jelenafan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course they can - and so can everybody else. Trying to divide us by race and say that white people should “sit this out?” No, not gonna happen. It’s racist. What happened on stage that night isn’t a black thing that white people can’t speak about. It was a physical assault, on Oscar’s night. Everybody should condemn it. It doesn’t get easier to understand if we attribute it somehow to some particular racial idiosyncrasy…
Bro, she isn't trying to divide or racist..she is ONLY say as I said previously..she is only saying it's hard for people of different enthic communities to see things the same way things are viewed in her community...True assualt is something that everyone should condemn..that's not she is addressing..she is saying how things are perceived with her community. That's why she saying "sit this out "..Chris Rock had more than just the fate of that is Oscar's telecast on his shoulders. Will put him in a horrible position and this would be a whole entire different conversation if he would have reacted. That's all..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Bro, she isn't trying to divide or racist..she is ONLY say as I said previously..she is only saying it's hard for people of different enthic communities to see things the same way things are viewed in her community...True assualt is something that everyone should condemn..that's not she is addressing..she is saying how things are perceived with her community. That's why she saying "sit this out "..Chris Rock had more than just the fate of that is Oscar's telecast on his shoulders. Will put him in a horrible position and this would be a whole entire different conversation if he would have reacted. That's all..

I disagree, brother. The article is maybe misrepresenting her. But we’re gonna discuss it anyway, eh? Whether she likes it or not. And we don’t need protection…

:popcorn

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The analogy is so far off I can’t even begin.

It’s the Academy Awards, for goodness sake. Whatever happens there is fair game to discuss because it’s the Academy Awards.

It is NOT a private party, the notion that nonBlacks giving their opinion on something they happened to involve two Black celebrities PUBLICLY have no business weighing in on makes absolutely no sense to me. If it was two white celebrities , say Alec Baldwin bitchslapping Ricky Gervalis at the Oscars, would people be shouting down POC giving their opinion?

The Academy Awards is Everyone’s party ( though the irony is rich because of the complaints that it lacks more diversity) so making this a “Black on Black” private affair issue is quite insulting. The analogy the MSN commentator used is IMO flat out wrong. It seems she can’t handle Will Smith getting criticism or negative backlash from nonBlacks.

I have no problems in the discussion with those defending Will Smith , though I disagree with them. I have an issue with others basically dictating that only some can weigh in on the discussion and pointedly making it a race issue.

ETA: I have no issues with others discussing what factors within the Black community could possibly influence/lead to this toxic masculinity, just like with Hispanics, Whites, etc. though I do wonder how two entitled ( by decades of fame & wealth I might add) celebrities were inevitably led to this moment by said factors.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

I don't have the foggiest idea why you think that article has anything to do with the position some of my black friends took :face-with-tears-of-joy: Do you even remember/understand what I said?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The analogy is so far off I can’t even begin.

It’s the Academy Awards, for goodness sake. Whatever happens there is fair game to discuss because it’s the Academy Awards.

It is NOT a private party, the notion that nonBlacks giving their opinion on something they happened to involve two Black celebrities PUBLICLY have no business weighing in on makes absolutely no sense to me. If it was two white celebrities , say Alec Baldwin bitchslapping Ricky Gervalis at the Oscars, would people be shouting down POC giving their opinion?

The Academy Awards is Everyone’s party ( though the irony is rich because of the complaints that it lacks more diversity) so making this a “Black on Black” private affair issue is quite insulting. The analogy the MSN commentator used is IMO flat out wrong. It seems she can’t handle Will Smith getting criticism or negative backlash from nonBlacks.

I have no problems in the discussion with those defending Will Smith , though I disagree with them. I have an issue with others basically dictating that only some can weigh in on the discussion and pointedly making it a race issue.

ETA: I have no issues with others discussing what factors within the Black community could possibly influence/lead to this toxic masculinity, just like with Hispanics, Whites, etc. though I do wonder how two entitled ( by decades of fame & wealth I might add) celebrities were inevitably led to this moment by said factors.
it's the age old trope where some in the woke community tell others they don't have a right to have an opinion. It's so tired...

Reactions: tented

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

it would be a bit redundant - and embarrassing - for the Academy to kick him out now. What would be the point after he's already resigned? I would have a huge problem if they tried to take away his Oscar. Who would want to get the prize in the alternate? Ugh! And frankly if they didn't see fit to take awards back from the likes of Weinstien and Pollansky they can take a jump if they think what Will Smith did is even in the same region as their crimes...

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
it would be a bit redundant - and embarrassing - for the Academy to kick him out now. What would be the point after he's already resigned? I would have a huge problem if they tried to take away his Oscar. Who would want to get the prize in the alternate? Ugh! And frankly if they didn't see fit to take awards back from the likes of Weinstien and Pollansky they can take a jump if they think what Will Smith did is even in the same region as their crimes...
I agree trying to take away his Oscar is crazy.

BTW I think the producer Micahel Bay evoked the "Nazi" rule with his insane opinion:

That's right MIchael Bay, nothing trumps that, so let's ignore your latest action pic, let's stop going and discussing your movies and all the marketing for them , because gee whiz, that doesn't compare to children dying in warfare. What a pretentious and pompous and clueless idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree trying to take away his Oscar is crazy.

BTW I think the producer Micahel Bay evoked the "Nazi" rule with his insane opinion:

That's right MIchael Bay, nothing trumps that, so let's ignore your latest action pic, let's stop going and discussing your movies and all the marketing for them , because gee whiz, that doesn't compare to children dying in warfare. What a pretentious and pompous and clueless idiot.
Oh, dear, if we've heard from the talentless hack Michael Bay on this, (and I love that you cite him as a producer rather than a director, and I also notice his most recent film got a plug in there) then we have reached rock-bottom. And didn't OJ already weigh in?

You guys carry on, if you must, but I am out. Can't wait to see another good film to distract you with. Slightly off-topic, but not as much as I would have said 10 days ago...has anyone else managed to see "The Worst Person in the World?" :face-with-tears-of-joy: