The Movie Reel

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is my issue with your replies.. you refuse to accept that it was perceived to be just a lame joke by Chris. I felt it was hilarious and apparently Will as well as others did too. If you are a Chris Rock fan, how can it be cruel if he didnt know her condition? Chris Rock's documentary was not about alopecia, it was about the different texture of black ladies hair. What you are saying is that Chris can never make a joke about black women if they shave their hair short. That makes no sense at all. Chris did NOTHING wrong.
Many reasons for Will Smith to laugh in front of the cameras without finding it funny. But clearly we're not going to agree on this. I suggest we move on.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Many reasons for Will Smith to laugh in front of the cameras without finding it funny. But clearly we're not going to agree on this. I suggest we move on.
Agreed. We see Chris's situation differently. No worries. L8R

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
One pity of this affair is that the great Samuel Jackson finally got an Oscar, presented by Denzil, and it’s not making headlines. Actually, “headlines” should be that it’s only an honorary Oscar, given his career, but it was great to see him get it, and he made a beautiful speech. A great moment!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
One pity of this affair is that the great Samuel Jackson finally got an Oscar, presented by Denzil, and it’s not making headlines. Actually, “headlines” should be that it’s only an honorary Oscar, given his career, but it was great to see him get it, and he made a beautiful speech. A great moment!
Sam is very deserving.. I think they made that presentation prior to last Sunday night's telecast. I think it may be on Youtube

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Sam is very deserving.. I think they made that presentation prior to last Sunday night's telecast. I think it may be on Youtube
I’ve seen sliced up snippets of it, but not a f full segment. I think he was Oscar-worthy so often, especially his great turn in Django Unchained - took a while for me to recognise him, he was so brilliant!

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I’ve seen sliced up snippets of it, but not a f full segment. I think he was Oscar-worthy so often, especially his great turn in Django Unchained - took a while for me to recognise him, he was so brilliant!
I have a feeling that whenever Sam acts in movie by Quitin T and Spike Lee he adlibs a lot of his dialogue.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a feeling that whenever Sam acts in movie by Quitin T and Spike Lee he adlibs a lot of his dialogue.
He gives that feeling, doesn’t he? Though I heard that QT is very rigid about his scripts, when you have Samuel Jackson speaking any words at all, they’re improved. He’s got one of the great voices. I know he’s made a few “Snakes on a Plane” kinda films, but in this regard he’s similar to Michael Caine, maybe he does them for the money? But he’s immense! So is Michael Caine…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hard to know. Maybe the Academy told everyone to say nothing until they put out their official statement? I think if Smith refused to leave, then they were probably wise not to force him out, because the situation could have turned extremely unpleasant, given how upset he was. But maybe they should have thought quickly about what to do about the Male Best Actor ceremony. Wanda Sykes said she was "traumatised" by the episode and Chris Rock told her later he was sorry the incident overshadowed the other comedians work (it didn't, they were terrible, so it deflected criticism from them), but she also said that when Smith was announced as the winner, she was tempted to go on stage and tell everyone, "Unfortunately Will Smith can't be here tonight..."

:lulz1:
I forgot to post this yesterday, after I wrote it: (And only to be fair to Smith...apparently, they didn't actually ask him to leave.)

There are several articles now saying that they didn't ask him to leave, therefore he didn't refuse. The most coherent explanation of that is this from the Huffington Post:

'But according to unnamed sources who spoke to TMZ and Variety in reports published Thursday, Smith, a lead actor nominee, was never actually asked to leave. According to the reports, there was division among academy officials on whether to remove Smith, and the mixed messages never led to a consensus.
A Monday CNN report also squared with that version of events.

“Academy leadership strongly considered removing Will Smith from last night’s broadcast following the incident,” a source told CNN. “There were immediate discussions but the Academy decision makers were seated in various spots in the Dolby Theater and couldn’t mobilize to make a decision before he won best actor.”'

----------------------
What I find plausible is that they were seated in various spots around the theatre, and that by the time he was awarded Best Actor, which came shortly after, they hadn't had time to discuss it...it's pretty unprecedented, so they would have to have decided what to do. Hollywood Reporter says that the show's producer spoke to Smith, but that he told him to stay.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I heard this joke today: The Slap has been so much discussed that next year it will be the finale of the In Memoriam segment.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I forgot to post this yesterday, after I wrote it: (And only to be fair to Smith...apparently, they didn't actually ask him to leave.)

There are several articles now saying that they didn't ask him to leave, therefore he didn't refuse. The most coherent explanation of that is this from the Huffington Post:

'But according to unnamed sources who spoke to TMZ and Variety in reports published Thursday, Smith, a lead actor nominee, was never actually asked to leave. According to the reports, there was division among academy officials on whether to remove Smith, and the mixed messages never led to a consensus.
A Monday CNN report also squared with that version of events.

“Academy leadership strongly considered removing Will Smith from last night’s broadcast following the incident,” a source told CNN. “There were immediate discussions but the Academy decision makers were seated in various spots in the Dolby Theater and couldn’t mobilize to make a decision before he won best actor.”'

----------------------
What I find plausible is that they were seated in various spots around the theatre, and that by the time he was awarded Best Actor, which came shortly after, they hadn't had time to discuss it...it's pretty unprecedented, so they would have to have decided what to do. Hollywood Reporter says that the show's producer spoke to Smith, but that he told him to stay.
Yeah, it’s funny that they put out a statement saying that he refused to leave. I think Smith has been punished enough. He’s suffering. I think they should leave him alone now…

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
If Chris Rock can forgive Will, then everyone else should. I think it's gonna take Chris Rock to come out to make a public statement to say that and "everyone let's move forward" is the only way this debacle ends. Otherwise the Hollywood community may continue to immediately distance themselves away from the Smiths.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
If Chris Rock can forgive Will, then everyone else should. I think it's gonna take Chris Rock to come out to make a public statement to say that and "everyone let's move forward" is the only way this debacle ends. Otherwise the Hollywood community may continue to immediately distance themselves away from the Smiths.
I totally agree. This is companies putting the boot in, in expectation that something is expected of them. They’re trying to pre-empt a backlash that might not happen.

The King Richard film is going to be adversely affected by this, and I think that’s wrong. People should be able to separate issues, and still enjoy the film. We fricking enjoy films and music by many people who’ve lived shady lives, more shady than Will Smith, who’s been an example of good behaviour until now.

I hope some sense prevails but I doubt it will, given how things roll nowadays. Chris Rock hasn’t pressed charges, so Will shouldn’t face grief from the law, and I think in any misdemeanour, no matter how big or small, the punishment should fit the crime. He’s already suffered more than enough, it’s time that people did what Denzil does, and take a breather and examine themselves, and don’t judge Will Smith so badly that he has no room to come back…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
not sure I would be willing to do the forgiveness thing yet if I was Chris Rock. A punch would almost be easier to move on from than a slap

Reactions: Jelenafan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
not sure I would be willing to do the forgiveness thing yet if I was Chris Rock. A punch would almost be easier to move on from than a slap
Tony Rock feels the same way, he isn't trying to hear about any thoughts of forgiveness and is extremely pissed at Will. We shall see how all this plays out.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope you can see this outside of the US. Really funny monologue last night, and we will all recognize ourselves.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope you can see this outside of the US. Really funny monologue last night, and we will all recognize ourselves.

Funny you mentioned This. I was thinking the entire time,he is referring to #44 and his way to handle this debacle.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was superb! Thanks for that
Loved that he didn't deal with Will Smith or Chris Rock at all. He just lampooned his own reactions and, by extension, ours. (You can track it straight through the last few pages of this thread.)

That said, he's right...I'd never heard of the guy. He has impeccable timing and gestures, and he's just adorable. I WILL be watching his special on HBO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Loved that he didn't deal with Will Smith or Chris Rock at all. He just lampooned his own reactions and, by extension, ours. (You can track it straight through the last few pages of this thread.)

That said, he's right...I'd never heard of the guy. He has impeccable timing and gestures, and he's just adorable. I WILL be watching his special on HBO.
Well we know Jada and Will are not going to presenting at the Grammys tonight haha