The Movie Reel

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I saw that article last night, but thought, Why are we just hearing about this now? Wouldn’t someone who was there have already mentioned they tried to get him to leave? Seems suspicious…
Hard to know. Maybe the Academy told everyone to say nothing until they put out their official statement? I think if Smith refused to leave, then they were probably wise not to force him out, because the situation could have turned extremely unpleasant, given how upset he was. But maybe they should have thought quickly about what to do about the Male Best Actor ceremony. Wanda Sykes said she was "traumatised" by the episode and Chris Rock told her later he was sorry the incident overshadowed the other comedians work (it didn't, they were terrible, so it deflected criticism from them), but she also said that when Smith was announced as the winner, she was tempted to go on stage and tell everyone, "Unfortunately Will Smith can't be here tonight..."

:lulz1:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It's interesting... I can't bring myself to see the clip anymore. I feel for Chris Rock. The humiliation of being slapped and on the biggest stage. Those two need to get together and make something positive from this. But I doubt it'll happen. I still maintain Rock was waaaay over the line and cruel. But damn.... there were better ways

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's interesting... I can't bring myself to see the clip anymore. I feel for Chris Rock. The humiliation of being slapped and on the biggest stage. Those two need to get together and make something positive from this. But I doubt it'll happen. I still maintain Rock was waaaay over the line and cruel. But damn.... there were better ways
Chris said he wasn't aware that Jada was dealing with alopecia. Maybe it's just PR but let's take the man at his word

Reactions: Kieran

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Chris said he wasn't aware that Jada was dealing with alopecia. Maybe it's just PR but let's take the man at his word
It wouldn't shock me if that was true. But given his awareness (given the documentary he produced) about the sensitivity of hair for African American women, and the fact that she wasn't in the spot light and he's already gone at her before, perhaps it would have been better for him to make a joke directly at Will Smith. Anyway... it's done now. All highly distasteful

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's right. It's not a given that he knew, and there have been several reports stating that he didn't know about it. Again, I think this is just an attempt to make him somewhat culpable for Will Smith's transgression, while the same people then take the opportunity to piously condemn Smith, having declared their sympathy with why he did it.

Interestingly, in a typically unfunny sketch on the night, Regina Hall slagged off the Smith's marriage and the two of them were breaking up with laughter and having a rare old time. Their marriage is already something of a joke, of the morbid kind, and much funnier in both ways - "funny ha-ha" and "funny peculiar" - than anything the unfortunate comedienne could muster.

I doubt Jada is easy to offend. She gives the impression that she lives by the old media rules - "any publicity at all is good publicity for me..."

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It wouldn't shock me if that was true. But given his awareness (given the documentary he produced) about the sensitivity of hair for African American women, and the fact that she wasn't in the spot light and he's already gone at her before, perhaps it would have been better for him to make a joke directly at Will Smith. Anyway... it's done now. All highly distasteful
If I recall correctly , Jada shaved her head for a few of the Matrix movies.. I think she was in the most recently movie that came out late last year during the holidays. As for as Chris knew it was movie related role for the hair cut. Wouldn't that debunk the theory that he was being insensitive towards black women's hair and the like?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
That's right. It's not a given that he knew, and there have been several reports stating that he didn't know about it. Again, I think this is just an attempt to make him somewhat culpable for Will Smith's transgression, while the same people then take the opportunity to piously condemn Smith, having declared their sympathy with why he did it.

Interestingly, in a typically unfunny sketch on the night, Regina Hall slagged off the Smith's marriage and the two of them were breaking up with laughter and having a rare old time. Their marriage is already something of a joke, of the morbid kind, and much funnier in both ways - "funny ha-ha" and "funny peculiar" - than anything the unfortunate comedienne could muster.

I doubt Jada is easy to offend. She gives the impression that she lives by the old media rules - "any publicity at all is good publicity for me..."
"any publicity at all is good publicity for me..."

:approved

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is interesting. Afterwards Jada sicked her guard dog husband Will on Chris, apparently she thinks it's funny now.

She doesn't appear to be the emotionally hurt wifey anymore. There's something WRONG with that whole event on Sunday. If everyone think less than apparently they are not paying attention

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is interesting. Afterwards Jada sicked her guard dog husband Will on Chris, apparently she thinks it's funny now.

She doesn't appear to be the emotionally hurt wifey anymore. There's something WRONG with that whole event on Sunday. If everyone think less than apparently they are not paying attention
He’s been humiliated publicly by his wife -several times - as she brags about her “entanglements” and how she wasn’t happy with him. There’s a lot of emotional damage in that house. I sympathise with Will for all that…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
He’s been humiliated publicly by his wife -several times - as she brags about her “entanglements” and how she wasn’t happy with him. There’s a lot of emotional damage in that house. I sympathise with Will for all that…
Yes Brother, she has taken advantage of Will. Jada is from the streets of NY or somewhere close to that place. Jada really like and preferred her late dear friend Tupac. Will has confessed that he feels inadequate compared to Tupac's masculine personality and etc. It's some deeper seeded issues with Will. As for Jada, What type of person would let her husband or even someone she cared truly about go to the stage live before a worldwide audience make an idiot out of himself. Not a real wife ,not a real mother, not a real partner but rather a woman with a narcissist mentality. Will's greatest life achievement has been tainted by his "master" at home. Truly calculated I feel.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes Brother, she has taken advantage of Will. Jada is from the streets of NY or somewhere close to that place. Jada really like and preferred her late dear friend Tupac. Will has confessed that he feels inadequate compared to Tupac's masculine personality and etc. It's some deeper seeded issues with Will. As for Jada, What type of person would let her husband or even someone she cared truly about go to the stage live before a worldwide audience make an idiot out of himself. Not a real wife ,not a real mother, not a real partner but rather a woman with a narcissist mentality. Will's greatest life achievement has been tainted by his "master" at home. Truly calculated I feel.
Does Will Smith have no agency in this? How does Jada go from being the one for whom a cruel joke was made at her expense to now she's the narcissistic spider at the centre of the web??

I would probably be perceived as an alpha and the dynamic in the Smith marriage would be untenable for me. But we can't on the one hand - as a society - pay lip service to true gender equality then fall back on all these tropes the moment we have a situation. Now Will is the damaged (weak?) man and Jada is not a real woman? They both cheated on each other, they deserve each other, and more fool them for making their personal stuff public. But let's not project on them, it's just too cliched...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Does Will Smith have no agency in this? How does Jada go from being the one for whom a cruel joke was made at her expense to now she's the narcissistic spider at the centre of the web??

I would probably be perceived as an alpha and the dynamic in the Smith marriage would be untenable for me. But we can't on the one hand - as a society - pay lip service to true gender equality then fall back on all these tropes the moment we have a situation. Now Will is the damaged (weak?) man and Jada is not a real woman? They both cheated on each other, they deserve each other, and more fool them for making their personal stuff public. But let's not project on them, it's just too cliched...
There was no “cruel joke” - there was merely a joke. We don’t know that it was a joke about her alopecia - that in itself is projection, and it’s been heavily suggested by people who know Chris Rock that he didn’t know about her alopecia at all. But it was a joke and it wasn’t cruel. They giggled along with jokes about their marriage earlier on. They’re players in the Hollywood life but we have no reason to use other tropes suggesting her to be a fragile victim. She knows the game. She’s playing it too.

The dynamic in their marriage may have been a factor that drove Smith over the edge. He has my sympathy, because he became so upset, in the biggest night of his career, and he did a wrong thing on a sudden impulse. It’s a pity the camera didn’t stay on him and we could see what really caused him to flip the lid, but the last we saw him before he went AWOL was that the man was laughing…

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

FB, can you just explain why she laughed afterwards her husband assaulted Chris? I think you feel Will felt compelled to defend his Queen's emotional honor when essence he was doing his Master's bidding.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
FB, can you just explain why she laughed afterwards her husband assaulted Chris? I think you feel Will felt compelled to defend his Queen's emotional honor when essence he was doing his Master's bidding.
I have never said that Will was compelled to defend his wife. I have said that they had a right to be upset about the joke. Never once have I said that I condoned the. slap. I don't. It was disgusting. I'm just not going sit there and say that there wasn't a provocation. As for the rest I'll leave you to your hyperbole, there's no factual basis so a response would be redundant

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I have never said that Will was compelled to defend his wife. I have said that they had a right to be upset about the joke. Never once have I said that I condoned the. slap. I don't. It was disgusting. I'm just not going sit there and say that there wasn't a provocation. As for the rest I'll leave you to your hyperbole, there's no factual basis so a response would be redundant
No this is just a conversation, lets not bring hyperbole into the discussion. It appears that you are not considering that Chris Rock says he was unware of her alopecia condition. I stated previously Jada has been bald for roles previously and maybe Chris felt it was another project she was working on.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
No this is just a conversation, lets not bring hyperbole into the discussion. It appears that you are not considering that Chris Rock says he was unware of her alopecia condition. I stated previously Jada has been bald for roles previously and maybe Chris felt it was another project she was working on.
Lol! You were the one who brought hyperbole into the discussion. Whether Chris Rock was aware or not about her condition is less relevant than the fact that he had already demonstrated a sensitivity to the issues African American women have about their hair in a society where they are required to present themselves in a particular way to be deemed acceptable. He made a whole documentary about it, apparently inspired by his own daughter! This didn't stop him from making a joke at her expense and for his own personal gain. I repeat... for the nth time, I am not in support of Will Smith's actions, even though you appear to think I am. I am merely stating that if there's a real victim in all this, it's Jada and neither of the men. And I'm debating this issue as a Chris Rock fan. I'm no Will Smith fan boy, and I am most certainly not a Jada supporter. I find her a bit shrill and to be honest I was disgusted with her openly throwing her entaglements thing publicly in Will Smith's face. I thought that was emasculating. But this isn't about that. It just seems to me that we should be fair about constructing an honest context for what occurred.

On another note, I'm disturbed to hear that Chris Rock has been going to therapy for years to deal with being a victim of bullying. I hope he isn't the type to get suicidal. If Will Smith was aware about his history with bullying then that might be a particularly evil and violent response on his part. Both Rock and Smith were on the wrong side of this in my opinion. Let's not blame the one person who didn't go on stage and make an a$$ of themselves. That's all I'm saying...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol! You were the one who brought hyperbole into the discussion. Whether Chris Rock was aware or not about her condition is less relevant than the fact that he had already demonstrated a sensitivity to the issues African American women have about their hair in a society where they are required to present themselves in a particular way to be deemed acceptable. He made a whole documentary about it, apparently inspired by his own daughter! This didn't stop him from making a joke at her expense and for his own personal gain. I repeat... for the nth time, I am not in support of Will Smith's actions, even though you appear to think I am. I am merely stating that if there's a real victim in all this, it's Jada and neither of the men. And I'm debating this issue as a Chris Rock fan. I'm no Will Smith fan boy, and I am most certainly not a Jada supporter. I find her a bit shrill and to be honest I was disgusted with her openly throwing her entaglements thing publicly in Will Smith's face. I thought that was emasculating. But this isn't about that. It just seems to me that we should be fair about constructing an honest context for what occurred.

On another note, I'm disturbed to hear that Chris Rock has been going to therapy for years to deal with being a victim of bullying. I hope he isn't the type to get suicidal. If Will Smith was aware about his history with bullying then that might be a particularly evil and violent response on his part. Both Rock and Smith were on the wrong side of this in my opinion. Let's not blame the one person who didn't go on stage and make an a$$ of themselves. That's all I'm saying...
This is my issue with your replies.. you refuse to accept that it was perceived to be just a lame joke by Chris. I felt it was hilarious and apparently Will as well as others did too. If you are a Chris Rock fan, how can it be cruel if he didnt know her condition? Chris Rock's documentary was not about alopecia, it was about the different texture of black ladies hair. What you are saying is that Chris can never make a joke about black women if they shave their hair short. That makes no sense at all. Chris did NOTHING wrong.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

It. Was. A. Joke.

This is not the reaction you make to a joke.

And if women are sensitive about their hair, then it’s like sticking a huge target on a gigantic barn door and asking Chris Rock to take a pop. Sure, you’re not condoning Will Smith - except when you seem to be.

But really, this topic is like jelly, it keeps getting slippier and slipperier by the day. Now Chris is defending Will to his audience, who began to abuse Will Smith during Chris Rocks second concert. And no, he didn’t crack a joke along the lines of, “hey! Stop abusing Will Smith! He got a b!tch at home to do that for him!”

He asked them to stop. And another report says that Chris Rock didn’t want Will forcibly removed from the Oscars, so he stayed. Chris Rock has been very dignified in how he’s carried himself. No soppy empty-head Hollywood platitudes, like the Smiths.

Will Smith was also bullied when he was young, and again I repeat, I have huge sympathy for him. She’s been bragging about having an affair their sons friend? What a mammy, eh? Brings a tear… Jada will be fine, she’s trending, she’s happy…

Reactions: tented