The Movie Reel

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow! This whole thing is getting out of hand now. Someone just pointed out to me that the GI Jane joke could actually be a lot deeper than we all think. I don't believe it, but here's the idea anyway....

The person who played GI Jane (Demi Moore) cheated on her husband with the dude from that 70's Show (Ashton Kutcher) who was much younger than her...

Has to be coincidence! But still... the depths to which this whole thing has been analysed. Wow! :astonished-face:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
read the article mate. "and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community." I'm sorry but you don't get to change what he said to suit your argument. And I think that argument is a valid position for some black people to take. You don't have to agree with it, it's their feeling about their place in the world
We all are entitled to our own opinions and beliefs.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
We all are entitled to our own opinions and beliefs.
I don't practice trying to measure the temperature of different ethnic groups. People are all different regardless of their ethnicity. Kareem spoke from his ethic perspective. There's not a right or wrong. I don't see my friends as Black, Asian, Latino or White. I view them ONLY as people who have opinions. The few associates I have come across over the years whom felt it was ok to classify others by their ethnicity, I have long distanced myself from them. I don't view them as bias or something like that against others but their intentions may not always be well received by others. It's just the way I feel.

Reactions: Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow! This whole thing is getting out of hand now. Someone just pointed out to me that the GI Jane joke could actually be a lot deeper than we all think. I don't believe it, but here's the idea anyway....

The person who played GI Jane (Demi Moore) cheated on her husband with the dude from that 70's Show (Ashton Kutcher) who was much younger than her...

Has to be coincidence! But still... the depths to which this whole thing has been analysed. Wow! :astonished-face:
@tented posted earlier that pre Oscars telecast Jada said she didnt give a crap about comments about her bald head. All Chris said was "Jada I look forward to seeing you in GI Jane 2" . Nothing more nothing Less.. Chris stated he wasn't aware of her battle with alopecia. We have to take the man at his word.

If Jada meant what she said earlier, then it wasn't the "message" that she found annoying but the "Messenger"..

Last edited:
Reactions: tented and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
lol! This is PR mate. These days the best way to get out of a bad situation is to claim mental health...
Not all PR, this is what a lot of people felt the morning afterwards here in the US before the Will Smith PR machine began damage control. I watched Will's YouTube documentary last winter where he spoke about feeling like a coward his entire life.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
@tented posted earlier that pre Oscars telecast Jada said she didnt give a crap about comments about her bald head. All Chris said was "Jada I look forward to seeing you in GI Jane 2" . Nothing more nothing Less.. Chris stated he wasn't aware of her battle with alopecia. We have to take the man at his word.

If Jada meant was she said earlier, then it wasn't the "message" that she found annoying but the "Messenger"..
I don’t believe it was a joke about alopecia either. When Rock was slapped he said it was a joke about GI Jane. I think his joke is to be understood as a follow up (or akin to) to his jokes about her boycotting the Oscars in 2016. Teasing her about her career. Even if it was a joke about alopecia, it’s okay. It’s only a joke. But I find the responses that suggest that - like de Niro in Goodfellas - “you insulted him a little bit”, or “her a little bit”, don’t condone Will Smith, but they condone him “a little bit..”

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t believe it was a joke about alopecia either. When Rock was slapped he said it was a joke about GI Jane. I think his joke is to be understood as a follow up (or akin to) to his jokes about her boycotting the Oscars in 2016. Teasing her about her career. Even if it was a joke about alopecia, it’s okay. It’s only a joke. But I find the responses that suggest that - like de Niro in Goodfellas - “you insulted him a little bit”, or “her a little bit”, don’t condone Will Smith, but they condone him “a little bit..”
:approved

• Love

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My big question is where was security during all of this. You have someone who had no reason to be on that stage at that time approaching the stage. Why wasn’t anyone there to stop him? Instead, he was allowed to proceed back into the audience rather than removed from the audience to discuss the issue.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
What It Felt Like in the Room When Will Smith Slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars

(I’m not sure if this is behind a paywall, so if it is, let me know and I’ll post the whole thing.)
Very good! I loved this:
The playwright and dandy Jeremy O. Harris, resplendent in his powder-blue paisley Gucci suit and pink pussy bow, was holding court. “It was the slap heard round the world!” he told me. “It was the gayest thing Will Smith has ever done. It was giving ballroom.

:lulz1: :lulz1:

And the following lines too, really great but from a more depressing angle:
A famous comedian I’ve met pulled me close and said that the fight was a sign of how thin-skinned and vulnerable celebrities had become these days. “Tonight was the purest example of how much this place has lost its fucking mind,” the comedian said. “Los Angeles is like Gotham City right now.”

Reactions: Moxie and tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Very good! I loved this:
The playwright and dandy Jeremy O. Harris, resplendent in his powder-blue paisley Gucci suit and pink pussy bow, was holding court. “It was the slap heard round the world!” he told me. “It was the gayest thing Will Smith has ever done. It was giving ballroom.
0FBDCD80-5003-4617-8B7D-135A526C8CDD.jpeg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
View attachment 6385
That’s him? Is he good? He’s certainly dandy!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
My big question is where was security during all of this. You have someone who had no reason to be on that stage at that time approaching the stage. Why wasn’t anyone there to stop him? Instead, he was allowed to proceed back into the audience rather than removed from the audience to discuss the issue.
Exactly. "The Academy does not condone violence" - except that they did. He sat back in his front row seat and was allowed on stage to collect his award...

Reactions: tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Exactly. "The Academy does not condone violence" - except that they did. He sat back in his front row seat and was allowed on stage to collect his award...
Okay, so I have to take this back, and gladly will.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...J3yp8lgCh_LTk-M2H_UxhLL5y2_yTDer9S8cJD_Vqwn44
The Board of Governors today initiated disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, including inappropriate physical contact, abusive or threatening behavior, and compromising the integrity of the Academy.

Consistent with the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, as well as California law, Mr. Smith is being provided at least 15 days’ notice of a vote regarding his violations and sanctions, and the opportunity to be heard beforehand by means of a written response. At the next board meeting on April 18, the Academy may take any disciplinary action, which may include suspension, expulsion, or other sanctions permitted by the Bylaws and Standards of Conduct.

Mr. Smith’s actions at the 94 Oscars were a deeply shocking, traumatic event to witness in-person and on television. Mr. Rock, we apologize to you for what you experienced on our stage and thank you for your resilience in that moment. We also apologize to our nominees, guests and viewers for what transpired during what should have been a celebratory event.

Things unfolded in a way we could not have anticipated. While we would like to clarify that Mr. Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and refused, we also recognize we could have handled the situation differently.

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions