The Movie Reel

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I watched fighting with my family at my Sister's. It was good.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched fighting with my family at my Sister's. It was good.
Usually that's not so good at my house. Your family must really fight clean. Who won, your sister or your dad? :lol6: (Sorry, only kidding, but that sounded like most Thanksgivings and Christmases in America since 2016.)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Saw "Jojo Rabbit" the other day. Reviews have been mixed, but audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes very good. I like it a lot. Funny, heartbreaking, and everything you want in a Holocaust comedy. The kid is amazing.

Horsa

Reactions
Usually that's not so good at my house. Your family must really fight clean. Who won, your sister or your dad? :lol6: (Sorry, only kidding, but that sounded like most Thanksgivings and Christmases in America since 2016.)
It's not good at my house either. It's normally Dad arguing with me because he's always got to be right even when he's wrong & everyone else just listens & says "Yes, O.K." or "Whatever!" whereas I try to show him why (I think) he's wrong & give him a chance to prove me wrong but all he does is shout & name-call. Lol.

Responding to your sentence in parentheses it's almost every day in our house. I go out alone or to my Sister's for peace & quiet. Work is a safe haven for me too especially as everyone is nice, I love it & it gets rather full-on at times which takes my mind off things, working in heritage preservation which also looks at keeping old arts & crafts going I sometimes have stress-relieving, relaxing training sessions where I do things like pottery, glass-painting & ceramic-painting. Mother tries to get him not to shout at everyone on Xmas Day or when we go on holiday.

Back to the film though, it's based on a true story & is funny in places.

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Last night watched A Patch of Blue, made in 1966, starring Sidney Poitier, Elizabeth Hartman and Shelly Winters.

Basically it's about a blind girl (Hartman) and being raised by her psychological-driven domineering mother (Winters). By chance the blind girl meets a carer in the park played by Sidney and a friendship/relationship develops.

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Last night watched A Patch of Blue, made in 1966, starring Sidney Poitier, Elizabeth Hartman and Shelly Winters.

Basically it's about a blind girl (Hartman) and being raised by her psychological-driven domineering mother (Winters). By chance the blind girl meets a carer in the park played by Sidney and a friendship/relationship develops.

Here’s the trailer

Horsa

Reactions
I watched "Yesterday" yesterday & found it funny but was disappointed with the story-line & how the songs "Help" & "Obladi, Oblada" were sung. They were the worst versions I'd ever heard & I could have sung them better myself. He sung the rest of the songs O.K. though & wasn't bad on the piano.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched "Yesterday" yesterday & found it funny but was disappointed with the story-line & how the songs "Help" & "Obladi, Oblada" were sung. They were the worst versions I'd ever heard & I could have sung them better myself. He sung the rest of the songs O.K. though & wasn't bad on the piano.
Aw, I liked that movie.

Horsa

Reactions
I watched "Blinded by the light" last night & really enjoyed it.

Has everyone who wants to watch it seen it? I'm asking because I want to go into more detail about what I thought & don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched "Blinded by the light" last night & really enjoyed it.

Has everyone who wants to watch it seen it? I'm asking because I want to go into more detail about what I thought & don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.
That's the kid in England who becomes a huge Springsteen fan, right? I saw it and thought it was so much fun, and really sweet.

Horsa

Reactions
That's the kid in England who becomes a huge Springsteen fan, right? I saw it and thought it was so much fun, and really sweet.
Yes. I got much more from it than that. I think it depicted the attitude that people had towards people of different colours/races at the time & also how certain members of the family reacted towards each other as well as the events of the time. (I know in some countries Dad is still the boss no matter what & can do what they want with their family.) I loved the poetry & how Springsteen songs made Sajid think about the world & make sense of the world around him. I also liked how Sajid got to do what he wanted. In my opinion the only way they could have made it better was by the big man appearing when he went to The Stoned Pony.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In honor of the AO, I watched this last night. Such good fun. Early Baz Luhrmann. Strictly Ballroom:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m going to see “Parasite” this coming weekend, any early reviews from you folks?
I thought it was great! Surprising, creepy, funny, smart, biting satire. Also great looking. Let me know how you like it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has anyone watched the Irishman on Netflix? I really expected to love it. One of my favourite directors (Martin Scorsese) and two of my acting all-timers in De Niro and Pacino, not to mention the rest of the amazing cast.

I couldn't really get into it. Nothing wrong with the acting... but the pace was just too slow. I ended up feeling disappointed. I don't think this is a bad movie by any means - just an anti-climax for me.

On a Facebook movie thread discussing it, there was a riot. I mentioned I thought it was a bit slow, and the comments were "You Gen X noob, go and watch the fucking Avengers", somebody else advised me to watch something less complicated like Mary Poppins. I was literally laughing my arse off... the comments on that thread alone were dynamite and more entertaining than the movie IMO.

All in all, not a rotten movie, just expecting a little more given the director and star-studded cast.

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought it was great! Surprising, creepy, funny, smart, biting satire. Also great looking. Let me know how you like it.

So Wednesday night I had to drive down to Santa Barbara for a dinner, while I checked into the hotel We discovered that the Santa Barbara film festival was happening. So they were having the next night a free screening of “Parasite” with a Q&A afterwards with the director Bong Joo Ho at the Lobero Theatre just a few blocks from my hotel.

It was insane, about a thousand people got in a waiting line just to get a cue # to try to get back into a numbered waiting line. I doubt the theatre fits more than 500 or 600. We got in by the skin of our teeth. Unfortunately they cancelled the Q&A because the Festival decided to honor Bong with a Director award that same night ( many of the crowd were not happy).

Moxie, you’re summation is perfect. I would add it’s also a thriller.

It’s probably one of the best film depictions of class/economic inequalities I’ve seen, yet it’s not heavy handed as each of the major characters is nuanced and has flaws, to say the least. This is no “noble poor” versus “evil rich” parable. The production design with the architectural dream house of the wealthy Korean family is flawless , juxtaposed with the real life scenarios of the downtrodden family.

The writing , directing, cinematography all just flows. You can’t predict the way the plot twists/turns in the film, but it doesn’t seem gimmicky or just going for shock effect, because it all ties in to the central theme.

The ending is sooo bittersweet with all that’s gone on before.

I really hope Bong Joon Ho grabs the best director Oscar next month.

Interesting he’s extending Parasite to a six hour HBO movie/miniseries.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
So Wednesday night I had to drive down to Santa Barbara for a dinner, while I checked into the hotel We discovered that the Santa Barbara film festival was happening. So they were having the next night a free screening of “Parasite” with a Q&A afterwards with the director Bong Joo Ho at the Lobero Theatre just a few blocks from my hotel.

It was insane, about a thousand people got in a waiting line just to get a cue # to try to get back into a numbered waiting line. I doubt the theatre fits more than 500 or 600. We got in by the skin of our teeth. Unfortunately they cancelled the Q&A because the Festival decided to honor Bong with a Director award that same night ( many of the crowd were not happy).

Moxie, you’re summation is perfect. I would add it’s also a thriller.

It’s probably one of the best film depictions of class/economic inequalities I’ve seen, yet it’s not heavy handed as each of the major characters is nuanced and has flaws, to say the least. This is no “noble poor” versus “evil rich” parable. The production design with the architectural dream house of the wealthy Korean family is flawless , juxtaposed with the real life scenarios of the downtrodden family.

The writing , directing, cinematography all just flows. You can’t predict the way the plot twists/turns in the film, but it doesn’t seem gimmicky or just going for shock effect, because it all ties in to the central theme.

The ending is sooo bittersweet with all that’s gone on before.

I really hope Bong Joon Ho grabs the best director Oscar next month.

Interesting he’s extending Parasite to a six hour HBO movie/miniseries.

Thanks I have been wanting to see Parasite and after your review it is a film on top of my movies to see list!

Reactions: Jelenafan and Moxie