The Movie Reel

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My favorite series is without any doubt "Outlander", only 3 seasons in Netflix but in Starz already has finished the 5, now who knows when we we'll see the 6. Then I loved "Grand Hotel" the Spanish version and also "Black Money" and "Winter Sun" which are Turkish but I can understand with the subtitles
Movies? I haven't seen a good one for long time
Also love "Outlander," though I have to go back to it. And "Gran Hotel" (versión español) was excellent! It was Downton Abbey, but with more sex and more people getting slapped in the face.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Also love "Outlander," though I have to go back to it. And "Gran Hotel" (versión español) was excellent! It was Downton Abbey, but with more sex and more people getting slapped in the face.
I haven't seen Downton Abbey. You understand Spanish pretty well so if you like comedy there are two movies in Netflix very funny "Off course" and "The tribe", and drama "The Invisible Guest"

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I haven't seen Downton Abbey. You understand Spanish pretty well so if you like comedy there are two movies in Netflix very funny "Off course" and "The tribe", and drama "The Invisible Guest"
If you liked "Gran Hotel," you'd like "Downton Abbey." Thanks for your recommendations. I do understand Spanish "pretty well." ;)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If you liked "Gran Hotel," you'd like "Downton Abbey." Thanks for your recommendations. I do understand Spanish "pretty well." ;)
I´ve tried to find Downton Abbey in Netflix but I haven´t found it, maybe it´s in Premium or another Network?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's on Amazon Prime.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I watched "War Horse" last night. I don't know if we've discussed it here, but I'm sure @Horsa would be interested. It's a very compelling story, and emotional. I saw the play, which used puppets as horses, which was absolutely amazing. You completely believed in them. I may have posted this before, but this is the TED talk of how the made the horse puppets. It's honestly thrilling.

I watched part of "War Horse" before but found it too distressing. I tried reading the book but couldn't turn down my imagination enough to finish that either. I know that it was a realistic story which although that story itself was fictional was based on things that actually happened. Saying that I think I really need to re-read that story to build up on some of the things I'm reading for my report on equine history which includes the butchering of horses for meat in the past & how horses were used in wars in the past, the furusiyya & how man caused the extinction of the forest Tarpan (equus sylvestris) as well as nice things such as equine art, poetry & history. I'm reading about the Arthashashtra at the moment. I'd have loved to watch the video on how those puppets were made as I'm interested in arts & crafts especially working in heritage preservation where arts, crafts & history play a big part, mind you I get to conduct 1940's sing-songs & get elderly people singing as part of my job too but my speakers on my P.C. aren't working at the moment. Thank you very much for sharing.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh yeah Amazon Prime (I said Premium lol) I don't have it
Me either. One thing you might try is that your cable provider probably has an "On Demand" feature, with free TV shows, and it's often on there.

Reactions: Carol

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Finally watched "Rocket Man," the Elton John biopic. I didn't really like it that much. I thought Taron Egerton, who played Elton, and all of the actors were really good, but it really bothered me how much the songs were used out of sequence from when they came out. Maybe that's puny, and just shows my age that I remember. Clearly the film is not meant to be a straight-forward (pun unfortunate) take on John's life, and vamp, camp and license makes a certain sense, given the subject. But while so much was well-done, it didn't add up for me. Anyone else see it?

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
I'm very sorry to interrupt you ladies but I just wanted to say I watched "Downton Abbey" a few times when my Sister stayed at our house a few years ago before Dad became really argumentative & ill. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a more modern version of "Upstairs, Downstairs". It can't beat "Upstairs, Downstairs" though as the 1st time I saw Gordon Jackson was in Disney's "Greyfriars Bobby" which I love & he has a good Scottish accent in that so to hear him with a posh accent in "Upstairs, Downstairs" was a shock. I know he was in "The Great Escape" too but war films aren't really my cup of tea.

Horsa

Reactions
Finally watched "Rocket Man," the Elton John biopic. I didn't really like it that much. I thought Taron Egerton, who played Elton, and all of the actors were really good, but it really bothered me how much the songs were used out of sequence from when they came out. Maybe that's puny, and just shows my age that I remember. Clearly the film is not meant to be a straight-forward (pun unfortunate) take on John's life, and vamp, camp and license makes a certain sense, given the subject. But while so much was well-done, it didn't add up for me. Anyone else see it?
I saw it. I loved it. I'm not old enough to remember Elton John's early days though. I learnt a few things about him & thought Taron Egerton sounded almost perfect. (My Sister borrowed his autobiography & said it's really good & shows you parts of his life shown in parts of the film & more. I don't know whether I should buy or borrow a copy & find out for myself though.)

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Rocket Man got better as the story lined opened up,I still prefer Boheiman Rhapsody which I thought was a wonderful film on the life of Freddie Mercury.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Rocket Man got better as the story lined opened up,I still prefer Boheiman Rhapsody which I thought was a wonderful film on the life of Freddie Mercury.
I did think Bohemian Rhapsody was much better. Rocketman seemed to glide on the coattails of that one. Still, I did think Bohemian Rhapsody got a bit judgmental on Freddie, when in truth his later days weren't as lonely and bereft of friends as they were made to look. Also, he didn't really know he was HIV+ when they played Live Aid, but that was dramatic license and worked. What they had, though, was a built-in climax, in the Live-Aid performance, which they replicated, note and gesture. That is widely considered to be possibly the best 21 minutes of live performance in Rock 'n Roll history. And they opened the film with it, so it was much more tightly structured, as a film.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
A few days ego I saw Rocket Man and honesty it didn't tell me too much, I liked Bohemian Rhapsody more starting with the acting of Rami Malek.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is a tough one for me.

While I agree that there is nothing in Rocketman that comes even close to the iconic LIveAid concert recreation, I would go as far as to say it's probably the best depiction of a concert I've seen. However I just felt as a biography Rocketman was truer and deeper. The songs were used to propel the story/mood in Rocketman, so I was OK with the chronological dissonance and the surreal quality to how they were placed. Now considering that Elton John was involved in the production, surprisingly there isn't so much glossing a over and it's a frank depiction of some unfavorable aspects of his life, warts and all.

Bohemian Rhapsody I felt had an easier mark to hit, plus it was a straightforward story which whitewashed Freddie Mercury as far as his sexuality and just seemed more cliche driven.

I dunno, maybe being from the Bay area there were always stories way back of Freddie Mercury hitting the Castro after Queen concerts so his fluidity was an open secret to his fans in my neck of the woods. So the film portraying his early girlfriend as his great love and somehow he suddenly turned gay or bi was a weird pandering in this day and age. This isn't some 40's biopic of Cole Porter. C'mmon, we're talking Freddy Mercury!!

LIsten, lip synching isn't necessarily a bad thing (Marillon Cotillard was amazing as Edith Piaf), but what Taron Egerton did as Elton John, singing the songs himself was impressive to me. It just seemed a very difficult and nuanced portrayal of Elton, though
Rami, make no mistake, was great as Freddie.

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I respect this review @Jelenafan, though I don't think they tried to rewrite Freddie's sexuality. He really did love that woman basically all of his adulthood, which I believe is possible, but he was always gay. Which I think they show in the film. Just took him time to get there. And they show that the rumors about him out there, and that he was screwing men when he was still "with" her. The band was called "Queen." My objection was that they made him so friendless at the end. That wasn't true. That's where I thought it took a turn for the "moralistic." Anyway, I respected "Rocketman" more than I loved it. Just a matter of taste and degrees.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing I am not working in the ICU at present,I have been watching or rewatching films.
I will down load Roma and will watch in a few days
Yesterday I rewatched Sicario with my hubby,one of my favorite actors Benico Del Toro,who does not get the acclaim he is entitled to,or sometimes maybe it is the character he plays.In Sicario,this part was just made for him.The film is not for the faint hearted,it is about drug cartel on the border of Mexico.Emily Blunt is also in the film.I really enjoyed watching it again.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seeing I am not working in the ICU at present,I have been watching or rewatching films.
I will down load Roma and will watch in a few days
Yesterday I rewatched Sicario with my hubby,one of my favorite actors Benico Del Toro,who does not get the acclaim he is entitled to,or sometimes maybe it is the character he plays.In Sicario,this part was just made for him.The film is not for the faint hearted,it is about drug cartel on the border of Mexico.Emily Blunt is also in the film.I really enjoyed watching it again.
I love Benicio Del Toro! And I did think "Sicario" was excellent, though, as you say, very rough, and I haven't watched it again. Maybe I will, now that you mention it. I've said this before, but I do hope that you will give "Roma" the time it deserves. Pick a good time to sit down and focus on a longer film, turn off the lights, and watch start to finish. It's a beautiful film and an emotional journey. Another one I'd put in that category is "Boyhood," which is a couple of years old, and we may have talked about it. It was a labor of love from Rick Linklater, ("Slackers," "Dazed and Confused," the "Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight" trilogy,) where he shot every summer for a couple of weeks with a small group of actors, and basically watched a kid grow up over 12 years, so in real time. It was the same boy, from age 6-18. As is usual in the best of Linklater's films, kind of "nothing happens." But the sum total is astonishingly beautiful and resonant. If you've ever been a kid and/or a parent, it will ring true, nostalgic and poignant.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I´m so tired of movies about drugs, murders and bad boys, too much propaganda about all those bastards which how much crimes and damage do