The Movie Reel

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I watched what we did on our holiday last night. I really enjoyed it & had a good laugh.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I watched “Judy” the other night. I’ve never been a fan of Renee Zellweger, so I didn’t feel the need to see it, until she won every award for it. To her credit, she did an incredible job. She absolutely became Garland. I didn’t even see Zellweger. It was like watching a documentary in that sense. I‘ve read some criticism that they didn’t overdub Zellweger’s singing with Judy’s, but I agree with the decision to use Renee’s voice, otherwise it would have come across as karaoke.

Reactions: Moxie and Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
I watched “Judy” the other night. I’ve never been a fan of Renee Zellweger, so I didn’t feel the need to see it, until she won every award for it. To her credit, she did an incredible job. She absolutely became Garland. I didn’t even see Zellweger. It was like watching a documentary in that sense. I‘ve read some criticism that they didn’t overdub Zellweger’s singing with Judy’s, but I agree with the decision to use Renee’s voice, otherwise it would have come across as karaoke.
Thank you very much for the recommendation. I've really been wanting to watch that but haven't had the chance yet. (My Sister is thinking of buying me it as an Easter present as I'm not really a big chocolate lover but I'll have to wait & see.)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

My husband has brought the DVD of Judy,as yet we have not watch it,though from what I have read she was amazing,did win all the awards in Hollywood,so when I get the time I will watch it.Like you I have never been a fan either.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My husband has brought the DVD of Judy,as yet we have not watch it,though from what I have read she was amazing,did win all the awards in Hollywood,so when I get the time I will watch it.Like you I have never been a fan either.
I haven't seen it yet, either, but when the trailer first came out, and before the award season, I had no idea was actress was "in there" and was pretty shocked it was Zellwegger. I agree with @tented that she did seem to "disappear" into Judy. I'm interested to see it.

Horsa

Reactions
I watched Victoria & Abdul at my Sister's last night.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I watched Victoria & Abdul at my Sister's last night.

I would watch Judi Dench in pretty much anything, so I did see this. What a weird story, if it’s true.

Have you seen her in Mrs. Brown? Another film with Dench playing Queen Victoria. She deserved an Oscar for this.

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
I would watch Judi Dench in pretty much anything, so I did see this. What a weird story, if it’s true.

Have you seen her in Mrs. Brown? Another film with Dench playing Queen Victoria. She deserved an Oscar for this.
Me too. I think she's brilliant. I agree.

I have. I had that. I thought that 1 was better than Victoria & Abdul. Billy Connolly played a good part in it. I agree.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I finally watched Judy yesterday,agree with Tented that Zellwegger did disappear into Judy,I really enjoyed the film,Zellwegger really deserved all the awards she won for this film.BTW my husband also enjoyed the film.
Re-watched the Kings Speech with Colin Firth,as my husband had not watched it,another enjoyable film.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I’m going to see “Parasite” this coming weekend, any early reviews from you folks?
I thought it was great! Surprising, creepy, funny, smart, biting satire. Also great looking. Let me know how you like it.

I finally saw it. Wow! There’s really nothing like it. The first half develops in such an interesting manner (I won’t go into spoilers), and then it takes a turn NO ONE could have possibly seen coming. It’s ultimately a sophisticated take on income inequality. I predict multiple dissertations. It’s practically begging for Marxist interpretations.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I finally saw it. Wow! There’s really nothing like it. The first half develops in such an interesting manner (I won’t go into spoilers), and then it takes a turn NO ONE could have possibly seen coming. It’s ultimately a sophisticated take on income inequality. I predict multiple dissertations. It’s practically begging for Marxist interpretations.

It really is Wow! A tragic comedy masterclass of a film,I would recommend it as a 'must see film'.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It really is Wow! A tragic comedy masterclass of a film,I would recommend it as a 'must see film'.
I'm thrilled they gave it the Oscar. I was sorry last year that Oscar wasn't ready to do the same for "Roma." But now that you're all at home with nothing to do, if you haven't seen "Roma," put it on your biggest screen and commit yourselves for 3 hours. It's an amazing film.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm thrilled they gave it the Oscar. I was sorry last year that Oscar wasn't ready to do the same for "Roma." But now that you're all at home with nothing to do, if you haven't seen "Roma," put it on your biggest screen and commit yourselves for 3 hours. It's an amazing film.

I missed Roma when it was released,I will try to buy the DVD.Thanks.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s on Netflix in the US, so maybe in Australia too.

I found it on Netflix so I will be able to download Roma,when I get some free time in the next couple of days,off to work.Thanks for the information.

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Reactions
I've watched The King's Speech about 3 times...I love that film!
I've watched The King's Speech lots of times. I think the next film I'm going to watch all the way through is going to be Night at the Museum Secret of the Tomb because Dad had good days & bad days recently & on the last good day I watched it up to the part where they get told to restore the tablet they have to take it to see the moon & then had to go shopping with Mother. We were having a good talk & laugh. I was really enjoying it. Has anyone seen it? If so, what happens please? I really want to know.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched "War Horse" last night. I don't know if we've discussed it here, but I'm sure @Horsa would be interested. It's a very compelling story, and emotional. I saw the play, which used puppets as horses, which was absolutely amazing. You completely believed in them. I may have posted this before, but this is the TED talk of how the made the horse puppets. It's honestly thrilling.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My favorite series is without any doubt "Outlander", only 3 seasons in Netflix but in Starz already has finished the 5, now who knows when we we'll see the 6. Then I loved "Grand Hotel" the Spanish version and also "Black Money" and "Winter Sun" which are Turkish but I can understand with the subtitles
Movies? I haven't seen a good one for long time