The Movie Reel

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks, @Moxie, I will check out the movie. I heard about it, but never seen -- actually the name was a bit familiar, but I actually thought it was some Glam metal/arena rock band, no, actually for some reason I thought it was some nu metal (which I don't like). As a hard core heavy metal fan the first trick you learn is to sift the wheat from the chaff, so some things end up as just noise in the back of your head. Anyway, knowing damn well the cliches from rock and metal, I will probably have a good time watching it. Yes, the clip by itself is not that funny, but I see where they are going.
Unlike the cliche of "taking it to 11," the film keeps a low-boil on the satire. Very dead-pan and on the nose. I hope you enjoy it.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Once upon a time in Hollywood surprised me, for a Tarantino movie.

It’s almost a wistful, nostalgic look at late 60’s LA/Hollywood. Of course there’s cathartic violence, ( again we’re talking Tarantino ) but it’s a reflective melancholy film in a way most of his films are not. Hollywood has passed by the Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt characters , especially when contrasted with the new, “modern” HW of Roman Polanski/Sharon Tate. There’s a scene in the Playboy mansion with Steve McQueen, Michelle Philips, Cas Elliot’s that is sooo 60’s.

The films meanders in a a good way with scenes that don’t really move the plot but builds character insights. Even the Manson cult scenes are evocative in a creepy way that makes your skin crawl and the Brad Pitt character’s early encounter with them is pitched where you want him to just get the hell out of there.

There’s been criticism I’ve read that Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate doesn’t have a lot of speaking lines but I thought the film does a great job of trying to flesh out someone who’s been such a tragic symbol of murder these last 50 years.

Lot of good cameos ( Al Pacino is a hoot as an agent) with one last look at Luke Perry.

Again it captures the tone of that era pitch perfect.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Once upon a time in Hollywood surprised me, for a Tarantino movie.

It’s almost a wistful, nostalgic look at late 60’s LA/Hollywood. Of course there’s cathartic violence, ( again we’re talking Tarantino ) but it’s a reflective melancholy film in a way most of his films are not. Hollywood has passed by the Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt characters , especially when contrasted with the new, “modern” HW of Roman Polanski/Sharon Tate. There’s a scene in the Playboy mansion with Steve McQueen, Michelle Philips, Cas Elliot’s that is sooo 60’s.

The films meanders in a a good way with scenes that don’t really move the plot but builds character insights. Even the Manson cult scenes are evocative in a creepy way that makes your skin crawl and the Brad Pitt character’s early encounter with them is pitched where you want him to just get the hell out of there.

There’s been criticism I’ve read that Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate doesn’t have a lot of speaking lines but I thought the film does a great job of trying to flesh out someone who’s been such a tragic symbol of murder these last 50 years.

Lot of good cameos ( Al Pacino is a hoot as an agent) with one last look at Luke Perry.

Again it captures the tone of that era pitch perfect.

I agree with you being a Tarantino movie is also surprised me,though in a good way.It was a nostalgic view in his eyes,some thought it went on for too long,though it did have twists and ebbs and the ending did surprise me.It took me down memory lane in the 60's especially with the fashion:).......I thought Margot Robbie played Sharon Tate to a tee and marveled at Al Pacino,Tarantino picked a cast that complimented each other.I really enjoyed this film.

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with you being a Tarantino movie is also surprised me,though in a good way.It was a nostalgic view in his eyes,some thought it went on for too long,though it did have twists and ebbs and the ending did surprise me.It took me down memory lane in the 60's especially with the fashion:).......I thought Margot Robbie played Sharon Tate to a tee and marveled at Al Pacino,Tarantino picked a cast that complimented each other.I really enjoyed this film.

Definitely one for my movie bucket list. Love Tarantino movies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Out of the films which are out at the moment I fancy either "Blinded by the light" or "Judy".
I saw "Blinded by the Light" today. It was was really fun and actually had a lot to say for our times, even tough it's set in the late 80s. I recommend it.

Reactions: Horsa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with you and Jelenafan above. It's one of the most relaxed and wistful Tarantino films ever. Don't let you think that that means it doesn't get bloody and vengeful at the end, but it was pitch-perfect for the era. The performances were great, and there is plenty to laugh at. I've also heard it called Trivial Pursuit for baby boomers. There is annotation for the youngsters. LOL.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I saw "Blinded by the Light" today. It was was really fun and actually had a lot to say for our times, even tough it's set in the late 80s. I recommend it.
Thank you very much for the recommendation. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll make arrangements with my Sister to go & see it.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Last night watched Arctic with Mads Mikkelsen. It's worth a watch if you like survival stories. This guy acts really good, but the plot could have been thicker. Movie is somewhere in the range of All is Lost with Robert Redford, but not really close to Cast Away or 127 hours.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Last night watched Arctic with Mads Mikkelsen. It's worth a watch if you like survival stories. This guy acts really good, but the plot could have been thicker. Movie is somewhere in the range of All is Lost with Robert Redford, but not really close to Cast Away or 127 hours.
Oh, good reminder. I always wanted to watch that one, and I love Mads Mikkelson. I saw "Ready or Not" on Tues., which is a horror comedy satire. I liked it a lot. Very funny, and not so scary or gross that I couldn't take it. Also, "The Farewell" is lovely, and "Blinded by the Light" is a complete feel-good movie, and full of great Springsteen music.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, good reminder. I always wanted to watch that one, and I love Mads Mikkelson. I saw "Ready or Not" on Tues., which is a horror comedy satire. I liked it a lot. Very funny, and not so scary or gross that I couldn't take it. Also, "The Farewell" is lovely, and "Blinded by the Light" is a complete feel-good movie, and full of great Springsteen music.

You're not fair, these are all the new releases. Ready or not sounds best suiting to me. I don't watch comedy movies much these days (don't know why, used to watch it before), but if comedy is mixed with horror elements that can be fun, like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

When it comes to Mads Mikkelsen, there something about his face that makes him so interesting to watch. Pitty he is not more ambitious, could have better movies too. I liked his movies The Hunt and the Royal Affair, they are a bit older. Strangely, I did not watch him as a Hannibal.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with you and Jelenafan above. It's one of the most relaxed and wistful Tarantino films ever. Don't let you think that that means it doesn't get bloody and vengeful at the end, but it was pitch-perfect for the era. The performances were great, and there is plenty to laugh at. I've also heard it called Trivial Pursuit for baby boomers. There is annotation for the youngsters. LOL.

It was weird. I'd expect nothing less from Tarantino. I'm not even sure if there is really any plot. Nevertheless, it was fun to watch. Brad Pitt's character is such a cool dude. I nearly killed myself laughing at the intruder scene where he was as high as a kite.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I stopped over at my Sister's last night & we watched "Mr. Turner" which is about the Artist J.M.W. Turner. (I know it's not a very recent film but it's not a very old 1 either. I'm just behind with my film list. Mind you, since getting a job in heritage preservation I'm way behind with my T.B.R. list too *which has been replaced with a to be learnt list* but I love it as it's fun & fascinating though rather full-on & I fit in well. I had glass-painting today.) I liked it. Has anyone else seen it? If so, what do you think?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Watched THE WRECKING CREW film, that stars Dean Martin and Sharon Tate (she's my avatar), last night, which i never seen before.

Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino has been on australian television SBS world movies channel as a presenter including with the intros and outros and this movie was one of his picks.

If you like the 60's soundtracks and James Bond style storyline, this film is for you.
After her tragic death in 1969, Martin refused to do anymore of the Matt Helm films - Sharon was going to co-star in the next film with him- as he was very distraught. THE WRECKING CREW was the 4th and last Matt Helm (Deano) film.

3a6efc87553855fb6314bc64da9aadc4.jpg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
our conclusion when we came out of the movie was it was a great movie. But if he had avoided the comic violence that lasted only a few minutes at the end we would have been looking back at it as an all time classic. I absolutely loved it, and I'm no prude. I've never been bothered by the violence in his movies, but I honestly couldn't see the point of it at all. Surely someone near him should have asked him to cut those scenes out and see if the movie actually needed it. It really didn't in my view. And I'm going to watch it several more times just to see the little details I might have missed. But oh boy did he capture the feel of the times

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Staying with sixties - movies and music alike - I watched “Blow-Up” by Michelangelo Antonioni (1966).
On the one level this relic still looks like a masterpiece as it reflects the swinging sixties British style. On the downside virtually every character is contemptible or are out for themselves, and the attitudes towards women seem archaic

Especially on how the photographer in the movie (played by David Hemmings) treats his models in general. Still an interesting and many-layered movie, but by today's standards looks a tad dated.

It's been said and written that the film would later inspire "The Conversation (1974)" and especially "Blow Out".

Last edited:
Reactions: JesuslookslikeBorg

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
last night i watched me some good ol’ Film Noir - “The Lady From Shanghai” (1947) with Orson Welles and his wife at the time Rita Hayworth who had her long blond hair cut for this role.
The movie was 87 minutes, because the studio cut an hour out of the original, much to the disapproval of Welles. They also changed the original score. It’s still a very fine watch, but it also makes one wonder what was the original length of how Welles wanted the film to be.

Interestingly 'Touch of Evil' - another Welles production , made in 1959, also was cut by nearly an hour but was since restored to near 2 hours some years ago while 'The Lady from Shanghai' remains the same length.

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
last night i watched me some good ol’ Film Noir - “The Lady From Shanghai” (1947) with Orson Welles and his wife at the time Rita Hayworth who had her long blond hair cut for this role.
The movie was 87 minutes, because the studio cut an hour out of the original, much to the disapproval of Welles. They also changed the original score. It’s still a very fine watch, but it also makes one wonder what was the original length of how Welles wanted the film to be.

Interestingly 'Touch of Evil' - another Welles production , made in 1959, also was cut by nearly an hour but was since restored to near 2 hours some years ago while 'The Lady from Shanghai' remains the same length.

Ah Orson Welles, the king of films subsequently sliced and diced.

I believe the holy grail for some film buffs would be to find the excised footage from the original sneak preview print of his “ The Magnificent Ambersons” released by RKO.

Alas I figure those reels are lost forever at this point.

Reactions: Vince Evert