The Movie Reel

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Ah Orson Welles, the king of films subsequently sliced and diced.

I believe the holy grail for some film buffs would be to find the excised footage from the original sneak preview print of his “ The Magnificent Ambersons” released by RKO.

Alas I figure those reels are lost forever at this point.
Since both you & Vince are really going into the archives & talking about your favourite Orson Welles films I'll share mine which is Jane Eyre.

Last edited:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Staying with sixties - movies and music alike - I watched “Blow-Up” by Michelangelo Antonioni (1966).
On the one level this relic still looks like a masterpiece as it reflects the swinging sixties British style. On the downside virtually every character is contemptible or are out for themselves, and the attitudes towards women seem archaic

Especially on how the photographer in the movie (played by David Hemmings) treats his models in general. Still an interesting and many-layered movie, but by today's standards looks a tad dated.

It's been said and written that the film would later inspire "The Conversation (1974)" and especially "Blow Out".

everyone is disposable.,but heyyyyyy man it's groooooooovyyyyy, or whatever.

also, near the end, (seeing as this is a tennis site) hemmings (?) throws an imaginary ball back to the "far out" people playing mime tennis but on an actual tennis court. :-)2

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
everyone is disposable.,but heyyyyyy man it's groooooooovyyyyy, or whatever.

also, near the end, (seeing as this is a tennis site) hemmings (?) throws an imaginary ball back to the "far out" people playing mime tennis but on an actual tennis court. :-)2
Well-remembered! Way to bring it back to the tennis.

Reactions: JesuslookslikeBorg

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Blow Up! Wow, memories flooding.

Antonioni , talk about a towering film director of his time. Curious to see if his angst sated films such as “L’Aventura” hold up as well today.

Haven’t seen that movie in years....

Monica Vitti was a goddess.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Blow Up! Wow, memories flooding.

Antonioni , talk about a towering film director of his time. Curious to see if his angst sated films such as “L’Aventura” hold up as well today.

Haven’t seen that movie in years....

Monica Vitti was a goddess.

L’Aventurra is timeless, IMHO.

The Criterion Collection has a beautiful version.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Don’t judge me; i admit I bought all three of his famous trilogy ( La Notte & L’eclisse) Criterion a few years back, but I wanted the perfect weekend to watch them again.

“La Notte” has Jeanne Moreau, nuff said!

No judgement here. I’ve done the same many times.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don’t judge me; i admit I bought all three of his famous trilogy ( La Notte & L’eclisse) Criterion a few years back, but I wanted the perfect weekend to watch them again.

“La Notte” has Jeanne Moreau, nuff said!
What's the third? I'm guessing "Red Desert."

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As we're on the high-brow end of the Movie Reel, I saw "Parasite" by Boon Joon-Ho yesterday. Won the Palme-D'or at Cannes this year. I suggest you read nothing and just see it. It's hard to love, but there is much to appreciate, and great food for thought. Creepy, funny, discomfiting.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Just read somewhere that the "woke" left hated Joker. I have this insane urge to see it but I have zero time. I have to do something about it :)

My sister, a Bernie Sanders supporter, loved it. I haven’t seen it, but I’m not really interested either. I rarely like comic book films these days.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My sister, a Bernie Sanders supporter, loved it. I haven’t seen it, but I’m not really interested either. I rarely like comic book films these days.
I have heard nothing about any political spin. For me, the reason to see it would be for Joachim's performance.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
This doesn't quite feel like a comic book movie though. Not like in a superhero sense or something like that. Apparently very dark, moody. And I like the guy's acting so whatever politics aside, I have to see it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This doesn't quite feel like a comic book movie though. Not like in a superhero sense or something like that. Apparently very dark, moody. And I like the guy's acting so whatever politics aside, I have to see it.
Somehow the Joker part has become the Shakespearean role of comic book movies. Is it because the role is so good, the character so complex, or because such good actors have played it? Chicken/egg? I look forward to seeing it...then maybe we can all discuss.

Reactions: Murat Baslamisli

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am going to see The Joker tomorrow,really looking forward to this movie I am a big fan of Joachim and from what I have read his performance is Oscar material,it is a dark film.Also a friend of mine saw a advanced screening of Judy,the story of Judy Garland and he loved it,another movie on my 'must see' list.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I am going to see The Joker tomorrow,really looking forward to this movie I am a big fan of Joachim and from what I have read his performance is Oscar material,it is a dark film.Also a friend of mine saw a advanced screening of Judy,the story of Judy Garland and he loved it,another movie on my 'must see' list.
I want to see Judy as well. I saw Mama Mia 2 the other day & think it's much better than the original as the quality of singing is much better & of course Cher comes in towards the end & sings a couple of songs.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Joaquin Phoenix is simply brilliant as The Joker, a great acting performance from him,I could not take my eyes off him,I wont say too much more about the film as other people here might want to see the film,do not miss it!