The Movie Reel

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Finally saw American Hustle this past weekend and had a similar reaction to many around here. It was a well done movie; great acting, solid end but just too slow-paced and really not that entertaining.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I usually gather my film thoughts. Here are some of my latest viewings:

Pitfall (1962, Hiroshi Teshigahara)

As it may not be as aesthetically satisfying or thematically absorbing as The Woman in the Dunes, the film proves to be a prodigy attestation for Teshigahara's adroit eye for both the uncanny and mystifying. For a directorial debut, imposing. In saying that, this one lacked the existentialism of its (thematic) successor, as it merely felt like a murder mystery masquerading as something larger, perhaps a critique of corporate postwar Japan, in the midst of a mining boom, and the seemingly wanderless nature of futile peasants in a society where community has disintegrated or collapsed. I like to think these ideas were faintly examined in its opening half, if only for a short while, before it transmuted into a pretty shallow thriller. Some arresting use of sound, though. Maybe a 6 if I am generous.

Street of Shame (1956, Kenji Mizoguchi)

At its core, this film is a fairly heartrending portrayal of the inevitability of dejection in a disheartening industry. It is a foreseeably bitter piece, aesthetically similar to that of an Ozu film, albeit with more photographic movement, but still with a degree of stillness. In saying that, the writing is mostly subpar, lacking any type of subtlety and often feeling way too conspicuous (i.e., certain sequences consisted of characters spelling out the obvious in a very pronounced manner). It also lacked the allure of Mizoguchi's previous works, including those ravishing tracking shots. Perhaps a 5 or a 5.5 - it was his last film, too.

Branded to Kill (1967, Seijun Suzuki)

Stylish, slinky, farcical, and cogently directed, this is quick-witted, shrewd, and invigorating filmmaking. Certainly not your voguish piece from Japanese cinema at the time, but something much more reckless. It was, however, unevenly edited, consisting of some frustratingly abrupt cutting. The writing was also a bit loose and cursory, but once you learn it was edited in a measly day and essentially rewritten at the last minute, it comes as no surprise. Actually, it is a remarkably stable film considering all of the production difficulties. This piece heavily vandalised the reputation of Suzuki and you can see why - it was vehement filmmaking, and certainly did discard from the status-quo. Or it at least felt like it did. Very good. Just shy from an 8.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Cheers! A new cinephile in the mix. Those are all new to me, but I'll buy the recommendations, as you're an Ozu man and a fan of Woman in the Dunes. I'll check them out.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's really interesting, TsarMatt. I never heard of those films either, but you whet the appetite so well. For Jap flicks, I recently watched When the Last Sword is Drawn, again, because I enjoyed the characterisation and the power of the tale. Some samurai flicks I like - The Twilight Samurai, and Zatoichi among others, but the films you mention come from a different mind-stream, maybe, and are work checking out...

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^Cheers! A new cinephile in the mix. Those are all new to me, but I'll buy the recommendations, as you're an Ozu man and a fan of Woman in the Dunes. I'll check them out.

Nice. Ozu I could not recommend highly enough. His two masterworks, Late Spring and Tokyo Story, are a necessity for anyone who loves cinema. Very human tales, as is The Woman in the Dunes which is existentialism encapsulated and one of the most aesthetically impressive Japanese films ever made.

Kieran said:
That's really interesting, TsarMatt. I never heard of those films either, but you whet the appetite so well. For Jap flicks, I recently watched When the Last Sword is Drawn, again, because I enjoyed the characterisation and the power of the tale. Some samurai flicks I like - The Twilight Samurai, and Zatoichi among others, but the films you mention come from a different mind-stream, maybe, and are work checking out...

Thanks, Kieran. The Twilight Samurai is a brilliant film, I agree. If you enjoy the samurai flicks, then I would recommend the masterworks from Japan's Golden Age (40s-60s) - Samurai Rebellion, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai, the Samurai trilogy, Harakiri, etc. There is so many of them, really.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
The Twilight Samurai is a brilliant film, I agree. If you enjoy the samurai flicks, then I would recommend the masterworks from Japan's Golden Age (40s-60s) - Samurai Rebellion, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai, the Samurai trilogy, Harakiri, etc. There is so many of them, really.

Those are all classics. As we speak I'm organizing 14 external hard drives. One full of nothing but Asian films (mostly 720p and full DVDs where possible of stuff not yet available in HD) and I've a folder called Samurai classics that's constantly being updated :) 720p is more than enough for older Asian movies imo.

Got the DVD9 of this recently and meant to be excellent. Gotta watch it soon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123129/

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
New Michael Jai White movie Android Cop looks like it's going to be much better than the remake of Robocop due this year.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7AgZebTmtiY[/video]

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
New Michael Jai White movie Android Cop looks like it's going to be much better than the remake of Robocop due this year.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7AgZebTmtiY[/video]

The Asylum really are a bunch of trolls.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Finally saw the Wolf of Wall Street and enjoyed it. The best description would be a remake of Wall Street (Michael Douglas) on speed. 8/10.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Forgive me if I already offered an opinion on The Grandmaster, (Won Kar-Wai,) but I thought it was a great disappointment. The story of Ip Man. It's absolutely gorgeous looking, but falls apart as a story. However, there is a longer cut that wasn't released in the US. I might be fussed to try it, because I admire the director.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I am on holidays at the moment, so film viewing is a necessity for me. Must. Take. Advantage. My last few viewings:

The Camerman (1928, Edward Sedgwick)

A gratifying viewing, showcasing the always charismatic and beguiling Keaton at some of his most human and inventive. This is a ceaselessly delightful film, overall, exhibiting some ingenious choreography and a very endearing story at its heart. It never had a dull moment. There is a distinctively timeless 'panache' to this film, vaguely reminiscent of Keaton's other great works such as Sherlock Jr. (one of the great silent films) and The General. He has such a magnetic screen presence, perhaps rivalling - or even exceeding - Charlie Chaplin as one of America's great silent icons. Probably an 8.5 here.

The King is Dead (2012, Rolf de Heer)

This proves to be a darkly comical look inside Australian suburbia, slightly redolent of Weir's The Plumber. Who better to give us a sneeringly twisted and perverse 'neighbour from hell' tale than cult Aussie director de Heer? This is a facetious piece, told with a lot of stark humour. It also summons as a fairly accurate depiction of the drugged up, welfare-grabbing bogans who amusingly pollute the quiet Australian suburbs, which I have personally witnessed on various occasions. Unfortunately, the acting is (mostly) borderline risible. One could argue this was intentional as de Heer mocks the literate and financially secure middle-class couple just as much as the run-of-the-mill 'Strayan bogan, but it proved to have a really negative impact on the film. It also came across as droll for the sake of being droll. A lack of subtlety in its writing hurt this from being a very enjoyable piece. For what it is worth, I'll give it a 5.5.

Youth of the Beast (1963) (1963, Seijun Suzuki)

This lacked the flamboyancy, the cogency, the wit, and the vivaciousness of Branded to Kill. It was mostly jejune in both writing and execution, and not even seductive Japanese women and well choreographed action sequences could save this being a mostly forgettable bore. It did boast some nice colour, though. Maybe a 4 or a 4.5.

The Music Room (1958, Satyajit Ray)

Ray's take on the decline and collapse of aristocracy in a society undergoing vast political change. The photography in this film is really beautiful, with many shots being subliminally crafted, but its somewhat minimalist narrative approach did not sit well with me. This is a character-driven piece, but lacked a 'degree' of direction in exactly what was being told. Ray could have expanded more on the interesting political subtext of the film as opposed to administering many prolonged music sequences which proved largely inert. I'll give it around a 6 purely because of its direction and performances. The writing let this one down, but it was technically sound.

Black Girl (1966, Ousmane Sembène)

A seminal film in Senegalese cinema, this is a highly symbolic tale about African oppression and hardship against their imperial superiors. It is bleak film that unfortunately spawns too much of an implausible and contrived conclusion, and its running length is a bit too limited at a mere 55 minutes. In spite of this, however, it is great film that also works as an engaging character study, exploring the social role of Africans in contemporary, post-colonial France. Quite impressive. A 7.5 works here.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Finally saw American Hustle this past weekend and had a similar reaction to many around here. It was a well done movie; great acting, solid end but just too slow-paced and really not that entertaining.

I've just watched this too. Thought the cast and the acting were excellent. I didn't really find it slow paced... I thought they were just building the plot. Bale and Cooper were both excellent and I liked Amy Adams.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Forgive me if I already offered an opinion on The Grandmaster, (Won Kar-Wai,) but I thought it was a great disappointment. The story of Ip Man. It's absolutely gorgeous looking, but falls apart as a story. However, there is a longer cut that wasn't released in the US. I might be fussed to try it, because I admire the director.

I started watching the first 2 Ip Man movies starring Donnie Yen and much to my surprise my wife loved them and watched them with me. Then we watched The Legend Is Born: Ip Man (2010) and liked that too and I've yet to watch Ip Man the final fight (2013). Have the Asian cut of The Grandmaster and thought she'd like that too and started watching it but she didn't like it so I turned it off. Must watch it on my own someday.

Good news is Donnie Yen is starting to film the proper Ip Man 3 soon as The Legend Is Born: Ip Man (2010) wasn't really Ip Man 3, though I liked it too eventhough it had a different actor playing Ip Man.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stars and who they were #1

This guy is a Hollywood icon and one of my favourite actors of all time:

Marlon Brando...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Myxfhj1x6g[/video]

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Latest viewings over the past week:

The Insider (1999, Michael Mann)

Michael Mann's riveting and uncompromising observation into corporate avarice and journalistic dysfunction in the midst of almost unparalleled impropriety. The film examines everything from the role of the media and its devious ability to shape and distort our very perceptions to the sordid underworld of corporate influence in our institutions. This is told with a great deal intrepidity, thanks to Mann's assertion direction and its (mostly) well-written script. On one level, it is a political film. On another, a compelling character piece. It works either way. Mann has always adopted this imposing ability to balance out a story with both fleshed-out characters and potent subtext (Heat and Collateral did this remarkably well). In spite of this, the film does lose some of its vitality in its latter acts (perhaps because of the running length), and it is not as aesthetically impressive as some of Mann's other works, but it is a great piece that holds just as much relevance today than it did fifteen years ago. Crowe is towering in his role and Pacino does an expectably great job, too. Overall, impressive and gripping, even with its flaws. Maybe a 7.5.

Prisoners (2013, Denis Villeneuve)

A thoroughly absorbing viewing told with a remarkable deal of both restraint and assiduousness. Villeneuve's aesthetics is what separated this piece from being another unvaried and insipid throwaway thriller. The bleak and arid photography (emphasising the desolate climate these characters inhabited) felt vaguely reminiscent of Kurosawa's work in Rashomon, where weather had an imperative role in symbolising the temperament of these characters. This is a very moody and glum piece, with towering performances (Jackman and Dano being particularly imposing in their roles) and generally impressive work behind the camera. It clocks in at just over two and a half hours but never feels protracted, purely because of its well-paced writing and 'composing' nature. By composing, its story never lost any vitality, as the film proved most potent in its most significant moments. Oddly enough, I expected this film to be a rather conventional piece, but it proved anything but - it is both unflinchingly callous but also very real. The sound design was another facet worthy of recognition, too, with its low-frequency beats proving extremely effective and contributing to the ominous nature of the film. I loved this. A superb, well-crafted thriller that pretty much exceeds in all areas, ultimately making this one of the best American films of the last five years. An 8.5 or perhaps a 9 here.

The Face of Another (1966, Hiroshi Teshigahara)

The last film in Teshigahara's informal trilogy. This is an erudite assessment of identity and selfhood in a gargantuan, disconnected world that embraces the appearance more than anything else. Like its predecessors, the film spawns some impressive sound design and a notable presence behind the camera. Like The Women in the Dunes, it seems to have this matchlessly incongruous touch that very few films I have seen can replicate. It is such a real tale on one level, but also feels strangely surreal on another - the imagery is downright alluring. This piece is also a great example on how you can make a 'hard' science fiction film without resorting to its 'predictable' conventions. My only quibble stands in its writing which lacked a strong degree of subtlety and all too often spelled out - what seemed to be - the themes and notions of the film. It felt strained and unnatural. Other than that, a very good film. Maybe a 7.5 or an 8.

12 Years a Slave (2013, Steve McQueen)

This is a ferocious and callous depiction of the slave industry, told with both heart and candor. McQueen's vision does not seem to be hindered at all here - it adopts the same savagery approach of Hunger and the same unconcealed candidness of Shame. Considering its subject matter, this is the type of film that could have easily been plagued with sentimentality, but it stays mostly restrained throughout, never feeling like a mawkish or unduly dramatised story. From a technical standpoint, is a well-crafted piece, but to me, not the unreservedly gripping and compelling masterpiece some have claimed. It more or less met my expectations (in terms of how McQueen told the story), but I couldn't help but shake the fact that the film never felt like it stretched twelve years. Call it implausible or just ineffective, but it bothered me. Nonetheless, it is a good film - brutal, plaintive, and poignant, but nothing more than that from where I am standing. Maybe a 6.5. This is "the" perfect Oscar film, though, especially in a time where American cinema is becoming increasingly more attentive and aware of the tragic history of the slave trade, a subject largely disregarded of prior.

Nebraska (2013, Alexander Payne)

A tender and human film that thrives in its simplicity. An effortless tale about trying to obtain independence and value in one's later years, Payne tells this adeptly written tale with both a remarkable deal of unfeigned fraternity and deadpan humour. The black and white photography is beautiful, furnishing the film with this sense of timelessness, but also a distinctively wretched undercurrent. It is such an undemanding and and 'steady' film that greatly impressed me on all levels, particularly Bruce Dern's performance and Payne's self-controlled presence behind the camera. It is a wonderful tale that had vague reminiscences of David Lynch's The Straight Story - a compassionate and human portrayal of seniority, told with flawed (but highly relatable) characters. It also has a lovely soundtrack. I'll give this an 8 or maybe a tad higher.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:

Finally saw it. I thought it was amazing. I don't get slow-paced, at all. I thought it was also the smartest script of the year. The constant push-pull of who was gaming whom, even in the macro of politics or Mafia, or the micro of relationships. Fantastic performances. Great ensemble.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Watching Arnie in The Last Stand, a film from last year. It's great so far, and I can't wait to see Arnie kick them baddies holes in the end. Great action stuff...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Good old Arnie won in the end. That wasn't a bad film!

Gonna watch Goeman next, I think it's Korean. Anybody ever see it?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Escape Plan is cool, Kieran. Check that out if you haven't seen it yet. Arnie and Sly were cool in it. If you're in the mood for some martial arts check out this small scene too. Jeff Wincott and Matthias Hues, two great martial artists although Hues isn't fighting in this clip. Just standing there looking nasty. Brigitte Nielsen was pretty nice back then too.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TxnmB-USBpE[/video]

Ps: you have to watch Hard Boiled (1992) seeing as you like Asian action films. A HK masterpiece of cinema. John Woo at his absolute best.