The Movie Reel

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Good old Arnie won in the end. That wasn't a bad film!

Gonna watch Goeman next, I think it's Korean. Anybody ever see it?

Still have to watch that but meant to be pretty cool. If you're in the mood for more Asian action stuff I'd watch either Hard Boiled (1992) as mentioned earlier or Tom Yum Goong (2005) starring Tony Jaa of Ong Bak. It's known as The Protector in the US but don't watch the US version as they absolutely butchered it from the uncut 108 minute runtime down to just 81 minutes. The Thai uncut version features hands down the best martial arts scene I've ever watched, including Bruce Lee's films.

Just watch the bone breaking carnage and see for yourself :cool: Tony Jaa just got stabbed in the film prior to this scene lol. Pretty good fighter for a guy who's just been jabbed with a knife :p But anyway, check this out. The most broken bones and painful sounding snapped arms, legs and necks I've ever witnessed and I've seen a lot of martial arts movies. Awesome scene. Try and watch in 1080p or at least 720p.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GhAjhoOFgoI[/video]

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I wasn't much of a TV series watcher prior to late 2012, so 2013 was the year for me to try to catch up on all the good stuff that I've missed, which is still an ongoing process. The result however, was neglecting movies, and I missed out on a lot of the good ones last year. I'm dedicating 2 weekends to catch up on everything. Really excited about Wolf of Wallstreet and American Hustle in particular.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone seen the new 300 yet? I hear it is actually pretty good which surprises me. I was going to see it regardless, Greek pride and all, but now I'm looking forward to it a lot more than a couple weeks ago.

I saw Gravity this past weekend. Good movie, awesome visual effects and all, and great performance from Bullock...but missing the entertainment factor in spades. I will hopefully see Twelve Years a Slave soon.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I saw Gravity this past weekend. Good movie, awesome visual effects and all, and great performance from Bullock...but missing the entertainment factor in spades. I will hopefully see Twelve Years a Slave soon.

I don't know how Gravity didn't entertain you. Grabbed me by the neck and never let me loose. And it had a point to make, on top of it. Or a few.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I saw Gravity this past weekend. Good movie, awesome visual effects and all, and great performance from Bullock...but missing the entertainment factor in spades.

I agree. It's beautiful, with great special effects, but I kept thinking, "Why was this made? What's the point?"

The phenomenon of debris wrecking havoc by flying through space shuttles/space stations was already shown in "Deep Impact", and the whole stranded in space story was thoroughly covered in "Apollo 13", so "Gravity" felt derivative, unnecessary, and thoroughly predictable.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:

I don't know how Gravity didn't entertain you. Grabbed me by the neck and never let me loose. And it had a point to make, on top of it. Or a few.

Usually every movie has a point to make. It's different strokes for different folks as far as what we find entertaining. This one didn't do it for me and as Tented mentioned it was all kind of predictable.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:

Usually every movie has a point to make. It's different strokes for different folks as far as what we find entertaining. This one didn't do it for me and as Tented mentioned it was all kind of predictable.

Perhaps I should be more specific about the point that I thought that film had to make. One was about grieving, and not caring if you lived or died, and then actually caring again. I thought it made that one quite poignantly. The other was evolutionary which it pushed rather harder. Still, I felt them both. However, to each his own.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Recently saw "The Grand Budapest Hotel" which I liked very much. Sometimes Wes Anderson can irritate me, but this confection totally worked for me. Also just saw "Le-Weekend" which has more going on than I had expected from the trailer. Terrific writing by Hanif Kureishi and wonderful performances.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Anybody see Non-Stop, or Hercules or the new Captain America?

I'm going the pictures tomorrow and nobody wants to see the one I want to watch: The Grand Budapest Hotel. :(

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I hear The Legend of Hercules was God awful so I passed on that. 4.1 on IMDB, that is about as low as can get seriously. There is another one with the Rock coming out soon...not too interested.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I saw the trailer for the two Hercs and they look woeful. What about the 300 sequel?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Yeah, I saw the trailer for the two Hercs and they look woeful. What about the 300 sequel?

I already told you about that one. Perhaps you are an old-timer and forgot? Just joking.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I don't know who it was that told me to watch Piranha 3D with Elizabeth Shue, but I am watching it on TV right now and it just ROCKS...as far as movies of this kind goes...Ok, a piranha just came out of the girls mouth...and another one ate a whole penis, but spit it out after a bite...did not do it for him I guess...:laydownlaughing . This is awesomeness to the Nth. degree:D

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I don't know who it was that told me to watch Piranha 3D with Elizabeth Shue, but I am watching it on TV right now and it just ROCKS...as far as movies of this kind goes...Ok, a piranha just came out of the girls mouth...and another one ate a whole penis, but spit it out after a bite...did not do it for him I guess...:laydownlaughing . This is awesomeness to the Nth. degree:D

Haha, that would be me. Glad you liked it. The lengthy naked swimming scene with Kelly Brook and Riley Steele was pretty awesome too :devil I haven't watched the 2nd one yet but it's more of the same :D

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I was just checking imdb there and I see John Woo is rumored for direction of Expendables 4. Seems Sly is stepping down from directing his own franchise then. Interesting. Good rumored cast too. Wesley Snipes finally, Seagal rumored again and hopefully he'll make it this time and also Jeff Speakman (who was great in The Perfect Weapon) and Phillip Rhee of Best of the best among the new additions this time round. Only a few months till Expendables 3 is out. They're cheesy as hell but enjoyable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3291150

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Anybody see Non-Stop, or Hercules or the new Captain America?

I'm going the pictures tomorrow and nobody wants to see the one I want to watch: The Grand Budapest Hotel. :(

Capt America is very good. Good story, good acting and fantastic CGI action.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Captain America was really good and I didn't even see the first one.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
I was just checking imdb there and I see John Woo is rumored for direction of Expendables 4. Seems Sly is stepping down from directing his own franchise then. Interesting. Good rumored cast too. Wesley Snipes finally, Seagal rumored again and hopefully he'll make it this time and also Jeff Speakman (who was great in The Perfect Weapon) and Phillip Rhee of Best of the best among the new additions this time round. Only a few months till Expendables 3 is out. They're cheesy as hell but enjoyable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3291150

A fourth Expendables?

Allison-Brie-Oh-God-Now.gif

It was supposed to be, like, a one and only thing.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Straight Time (1978, Ulu Grosbard)

Considering its reputable cast, I was surprised more people hadn't heard of this film. This is an fervent character study, examining the role of a former convict in the sprawled out megalopolis of Los Angeles. What begins as a fairly restrained and engrossing piece, told much in the veins of Taxi Driver and Scarecrow, with that very distinctive 70s touch of American filmmaking, unfortunately transpired into a deficiently paced, fairly uneven film. Great performances and the proficient technical presence behind the camera put aside, this film did not have any 'real' story at its core, lacking this degree of existentialism and social pertinence that felt so apparent in its opening few acts. It's a good film, but considering the cast and its general premise, it had a lot of potential, therefore rendering it as a fairly exasperating viewing.