The Movie Reel

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I don't know who it was that told me to watch Piranha 3D with Elizabeth Shue, but I am watching it on TV right now and it just ROCKS...as far as movies of this kind goes...Ok, a piranha just came out of the girls mouth...and another one ate a whole penis, but spit it out after a bite...did not do it for him I guess...:laydownlaughing . This is awesomeness to the Nth. degree:D

If you're saying it's an "excellent" bad movie, I'm going to give it a look. I hope you've seen "Snarknado," in that vein. Syfy is making a sequel, presumably for this summer. Hopefully it will be as deliriously bad.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Moxie629 said:
1972Murat said:
I don't know who it was that told me to watch Piranha 3D with Elizabeth Shue, but I am watching it on TV right now and it just ROCKS...as far as movies of this kind goes...Ok, a piranha just came out of the girls mouth...and another one ate a whole penis, but spit it out after a bite...did not do it for him I guess...:laydownlaughing . This is awesomeness to the Nth. degree:D

If you're saying it's an "excellent" bad movie, I'm going to give it a look. I hope you've seen "Snarknado," in that vein. Syfy is making a sequel, presumably for this summer. Hopefully it will be as deliriously bad.

For sure it is in the "so bad that it is good" category. ;)

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Managed to watch a few more films over the weekend:

220px-Bernie_film_poster.jpg

Bernie (2011, Richard Linklater)

An aberrant slice of storytelling that finds Black in towering form. The same, however, can not be said for Linklater. It's a good film but its documentarian-like approach felt largely off-putting, and the film never seemed to concentrate around a compelling story, but more so a sequent of events. I understood its intent, but it lacked an insistent core, particularly from a standpoint of storytelling, and felt quite sporadic at times. Other than that, a humorous, offbeat, and mostly amusing film, but certainly not without its flaws.

220px-BreachPoster.jpg

Breach (2007, Billy Ray)

Despite its fair share of cliches, mostly grounded in the platitudinous writing, this is an enthralling thriller, told with a great deal of restraint. Considering the merits of the story, this could have easily been riddled with both propagandic overtones and fallacious distortions, but it manages to stay real and human throughout, repudiating from any political bias. Chris Cooper was forceful, and Ray's direction felt natural. The closing shot was chilling.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just got around to watching Django Unchained. Loved it. Tarantino is one of my favourite directors and wasn't disappointed. I can't believe it took me so long to get around to watching it.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I watched that film about a new ice age starting via 3 global mega storms messing with the meteorological equilibrium. but I cannot remember what it was called, usa went into an ice age and these gits were buried under snow after a flooded new york froze over. ("tomorrow another day" or something. I dunno.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
I watched that film about a new ice age starting via 3 global mega storms messing with the meteorological equilibrium. but I cannot remember what it was called, usa went into an ice age and these gits were buried under snow after a flooded new york froze over. ("tomorrow another day" or something. I dunno.

"The Day After Tomorrow"

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^its more of a sci-fi than a disaster film seeing as said weather events could not occur, but the special effects are indeed "awesome".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Moxie629 said:
I hope you've seen "Snarknado," in that vein.

Just what we need: another film about a bitchy mother-in-law.

:laydownlaughing Oops! Meant "Sharknado" of course. But you've given me an idea for a film: not just mothers-in-law, but the full complement…an inundation also of teenage girls, bearded hipsters and political pundits, brought on, not by global climate change, but by the Universal Sincerity Crisis. :heart:

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
^^its more of a sci-fi than a disaster film seeing as said weather events could not occur, but the special effects are indeed "awesome".

I laughed so hard at that movie, especially when I saw the president . They tried so hard to find someone that looks like Al Gore apparently.;):D

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Finally saw "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" for the first time--as I approach 50!!!! Now I know why it was talked about so much. The fact that Joan Crawford and Betty Davis did not get along so well off-screen probably helped in some of those unforgettable scenes. "and Blanche, there are rats in the cellar."

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Classic movie, Shawn, some real spite in there. Bette Davis is still in a league if her own, far as I can see, unless somebody wants to add Katherine Hepburn...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yea, Betty Davis is always at the top of most lists of most iconic and significant stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Joan is up there too. Then you have Katherine Hepburn, Joan Fontaine and her sister, Olivia de Havilland, Judy Garland, Ingrid Bergman and the list goes on and on.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I've been catching up on a few Oscar winners/nominees lately.

"Captain Phillips" -- Good movie, directed by Paul Greengrass, who has shown talent when directing pseudo-documentaries such as this, and "United 93" a few years ago. I can't believe Phillips got out of it alive, but he, his crew, and especially the Navy did great jobs to end it with no U.S. fatalities. Hanks delivers a solid performance, but I like him anyway, so perhaps I'm biased.

"12 Years a Slave" -- Difficult, but necessary viewing. The lead, Chiwetel Ejiofor, is amazing, but everyone else is terrific, too. This may sound cruel or uncaring, but it's actually a beautiful film to look at. The cinematography is superb.

"Dallas Buyers Club" -- Who knew McConaughey had it in him to act so well? Not me. Jared Leto, who won the Supporting Actor Oscar, is even more incredible. It's a half-depressing, half-uplifting story, but worth seeing.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Has anyone seen Russell Crowe's Noah? Is that out yet? Definitely going to go see that one.

Oh, I finally watched Ted the other day. I'll never look at Teddy Bears the same way again.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Has anyone seen Russell Crowe's Noah? Is that out yet? Definitely going to go see that one.

Oh, I finally watched Ted the other day. I'll never look at Teddy Bears the same way again.

I saw Noah the other day. It was OK. I'd rate it 3 out of 5 stars.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tented said:

"The Day After Tomorrow"
My brothers call that the "Oh My God" movie. Next time you watch it, count how many times someone says that. It's near double digits...:snigger

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
^Ted was hilarious...equally offensive to everyone.:D

Agreed. I saw it at the drive-in and was a tad surprised. Normally the drive-in is PG-13 driven.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:
tented said:

"The Day After Tomorrow"
My brothers call that the "Oh My God" movie. Next time you watch it, count how many times someone says that. It's near double digits...:snigger

:laydownlaughing That's the perfect alternate name!