The Movie Reel

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Moxie629 said:
kskate2 said:
Kieran said:
I saw Gravity recently in IMAX 3D and loved the film and the experience, but i know what you mean. Actually, one of the trailers was for the 2nd Hobbit flick and I thought it looked odd in 3D, though I don't know why...

The special EFX in 3D were actually pretty good, if you like 3D. It was the rest of the movie I didn't care for.

Did you like Gravity? I did.

Mox I didn't see Gravity. I was referring to the 3D in The Hobbit.

Yeah, I got that, but I didn't see the Hobbit, so I was wondering who liked Gravity. Just making conversation. The only other thing I've seen recently was an obscure French one. I liked it, but nobody ever bites on my art-house films. ;)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
kskate2 said:
Moxie629 said:
kskate2 said:
Kieran said:
I saw Gravity recently in IMAX 3D and loved the film and the experience, but i know what you mean. Actually, one of the trailers was for the 2nd Hobbit flick and I thought it looked odd in 3D, though I don't know why...

The special EFX in 3D were actually pretty good, if you like 3D. It was the rest of the movie I didn't care for.

Did you like Gravity? I did.

Mox I didn't see Gravity. I was referring to the 3D in The Hobbit.

Yeah, I got that, but I didn't see the Hobbit, so I was wondering who liked Gravity. Just making conversation. The only other thing I've seen recently was an obscure French one. I liked it, but nobody ever bites on my art-house films. ;)

You'll have to hear back from Kieran then. He saw it. As a rule I like 3D and some movies get it just right, like Star Trek and the Hobbit.

As for the obscure independent flicks, I'll have to ask my sister, she loves them.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I loved Gravity! The whole IMAX experience was great too, but it was a fabulous story and Sandra Bullock was great in it. The music too, especially at certain "timed" moments, which anyone who's seen it knows what I mean. The terror was on a timer, due to the effect of orbiting etc.

I think as a 3D experience, this one will be hard to top, but it was all at the service of the story, which is how it should be...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The Wolf of Wall Street is a doozy. Highly entertaining and very well done. It is 3 hours and it feels that way yet you are never really bored by it. And yes, leave the grannies and children at home for this one :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Just watched Lone Survivor, with Mark Wahlberg. Pretty powerful stuff as far as war movies go. It is based on Operation Red Wing , in Afghanistan, that went terribly wrong.

This one and American Hustle is on my list. They just ran a segment on 60 minutes about Operation Red Wing. I'm sure it is powerful indeed.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just saw "Inside Llewyn Davis." I really liked it a lot. It's mysterious and mythic and melancholy, but also really funny. Very Coens. They got everything that was left of the old neighborhood, too. I recommend it.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the other day I again viewed FALLING DOWN (c1993) Michael douglas, Robert duvall, Tuesday weld..

douglas as D-FENS who cracks up and mentally dissolves in the urban Sprawl of los angeles, whilst deciding to abandon his traffic jammed car and walk to see his daughter on her burfdayy even thought his ex wife has a restraining order out on him...

..he never makes it.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
^ Really like that movie - particularly the scene in the burger place.

yes..if anything is going to push D-FENS over the edge then it is dealing with robot fastfood staff with non authentic spray-on smiles..

..and that burger they eventually gave him really did have no resemblance to the burger in the picture.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
American Hustle has some good acting. I was not captivated by the movie itself though. I was like " Ok, not bad at all..."

Agreed, good acting but the movie was ok...I wasnt captivated either.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Love the Godfather films (well, at least I and II)...

The day Michael steps up into the family business...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qvpcfYFHcw[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSQqv2UuvC0[/video]

tented

Administrator
Reactions
^ I watched them on Blu-Ray last summer. It was great to see them again (it had been years), and the transfers were beautiful. The cinematography is some of the best ever. Great films.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^ clearly The Godfather 1 and 2 are really the same film just made 3yrs apart (1971, 1974)..but that's not breaking news..

the elongated flashbacks in both films helps rather than hinders this narrative, which is a rare thing with having flashbacks in 2 separate films (I think so anyhoW).

I remember the first time I saw The Godfather in 1992 when the bbc still showed world class films late at night..

wow..I thought, clearly I wasn't watching.....'The Siege of the Saxons' (1963).