Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner said in the post-match interview and press conference that his hip was fine. Basically, it’s probably just lack of match-fitness. The match started late also so it have affected his stamina a little bit.
That's what I was hoping. He was stretching his calf, so it seemed more like fitness than a hip issue.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's what I was hoping. He was stretching his calf, so it seemed more like fitness than a hip issue.
You probably know more this than me, @Moxie, because you have been at the US Open. But I think it is more humid inside the center court during the evening especially when the roof is close.

I live in Southern California, so humidity is not a problem here. It does get 95+ degrees during the Summer though.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You probably know more this than me, @Moxie, because you have been at the US Open. But I think it is more humid inside the center court during the evening especially when the roof is close.

I live in Southern California, so humidity is not a problem here. It does get 95+ degrees during the Summer though.
Actually, that's a good question. The roofs are new to RG. Is it more hot, or humid, or airless when they close the roofs? So far, this has been almost an indoor tournament.

I have only attended one match at the USO with the roof closed, which was on Armstrong, It does get humid, though it was not a hot day, when I was there.

Reactions: rafanoy1992

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually, that's a good question. The roofs are new to RG. Is it more hot, or humid, or airless when they close the roofs? So far, this has been almost an indoor tournament.

I have only attended one match at the USO with the roof closed, which was on Armstrong, It does get humid, though it was not a hot day, when I was there.
If I recall correctly, at Wimbledon, when the roof is close, it gets humid because there’s no air conditioning. I am not 100% sure though

I forgot about the AO conditions when the roof is close.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quick fact: Sinner vs. Kotov is the only confirmed Men’s 3rd RD match in the draw. Which means that the winner of that match will be in the 4th Rd even before the 2nd round matches finishes.

The reason I say this is because there will be A LOT of rain and some thunderstorms tomorrow. Friday morning will be fine, but the afternoon will be raining again.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Most enjoyable match I have seen in some time. Excellent level. Momentum shifts. Unbelievable shot making from both guys. My pick to win the French is gone. Kotov closes it out in four sets.
I am just watching the highlights of the match now, impressed with Kotov

Reactions: nehmeth

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie

I just rewatched Sinner's 3rd set, agree it was more of a lack of match fitness than anything
I mean he stretched out on both legs laterally, if his hip was giving him a problem he could not do that
It was a " business display' from Sinner, that was what I wanted at this stage of the tournament
He also said his hip was not a problem in his press conference
BTW Sinner is 30-2 in 2024

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Round 2, Thursday, May 30, 2024

1717030333127.png

1717030367783.png

1717030413970.png

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Stan is hoping he can play at the Olympics he can ask for a 'special exemption'' being a GS champion he may have a good case,

Last edited:
Reactions: Front242

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
If I recall correctly, at Wimbledon, when the roof is close, it gets humid because there’s no air conditioning. I am not 100% sure though

I forgot about the AO conditions when the roof is close.
They do have A/C for all those closed roofs or else people would pass out in there. The reason for the humidity is because they don't have a good way to push the hot air out when the roof is on. You'll notice whenever the roof is on, the players will all be glazed in sweat and go to the towel more.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It only takes 10 mins to fully closed the roof on RLA
Probably more time on Chatrier
Not sure with the new roof on Lenglen, less time as it is smaller than Chatrier

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They do have A/C for all those closed roofs or else people would pass out in there. The reason for the humidity is because they don't have a good way to push the hot air out when the roof is on. You'll notice whenever the roof is on, the players will all be glazed in sweat and go to the towel more.
Armstrong doesn't. They use a "natural ventilation" system. Though, I'll tell you this, I'm not sure how well it works. When I was there, it was heavy rain and blowing wind, so those "natural ventilations" blew a LOT of rain not just onto the outer ramps, but actually onto the spectators. They could still play tennis, but it wasn't necessarily pleasant for spectators. BTW, that was the day I say Berretini in person. Come back to tennis, Babycakes!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Armstrong doesn't. They use a "natural ventilation" system. Though, I'll tell you this, I'm not sure how well it works. When I was there, it was heavy rain and blowing wind, so those "natural ventilations" blew a LOT of rain not just onto the outer ramps, but actually onto the spectators. They could still play tennis, but it wasn't necessarily pleasant for spectators. BTW, that was the day I say Berrettini in person. Come back to tennis, Babycakes!

When is this nonsense going t/b cost prohibited? Assuredly NEVER! I guess they'll be demanding an elevated tarp out on the hinterlands of the facility to keep things going during practice sessions! We got along w/o rooves for well over 100 yrs., now it's almost mandatory to make sure an event comes off on time no matter the conditions! It's gotten so out of hand, the self-indulgence of individuals & the masses! It's just about embarrassed me to "Le Morte!" I can only imagine trying to attend any kind of event these days! The money grab's so obscene, it's hard to believe fans have allowed it to get so bad! In my day you could take a family of 4 to a baseball game/tickets, get hotdogs, drinks, peanuts, popcorn, cotton candy, & a plastic souvenir; barely break a $20 BILL! Now adays you might as well bring the mortgage to your home to guarantee anything you get! The public helps grow tennis events & team franchises; their reward is inflated ticket & concession prices! Wimbledon was always cutthroat from very early on! IIRC, TV rights alone in 1977 got them a staggering $7 M; at the time a HUGE amt. for tennis! All they gave to the British Federation to advance the abilities of local players, those generous heads of SW 19 gave a whopping $100 K to the cause! And they wonder why it took the overachievement of Sir Andy Murray to actually put them on the map in Men's tennis! Wade was great for the ladies in her day and did her part, but they needed a dude so badly, they rented one from Canada; Rusedski! My rant is going all over the place when it comes to how sports have been so openly corrupted over the decades! When The Middle East takes TENNIS over w/ so much money to be had, I won't have a reason to even watch it after 50+ years of LIVING THE GAME; playing, watching, teaching, & promoting since 1971! :face-with-head-bandage::astonished-face::fearful-face::yawningface::angry-face:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When is this nonsense going t/b cost prohibited? Assuredly NEVER! I guess they'll be demanding an elevated tarp out on the hinterlands of the facility to keep things going during practice sessions! We got along w/o rooves for well over 100 yrs., now it's almost mandatory to make sure an event comes off on time no matter the conditions! It's gotten so out of hand, the self-indulgence of individuals & the masses! It's just about embarrassed me to "Le Morte!" I can only imagine trying to attend any kind of event these days! The money grab's so obscene, it's hard to believe fans have allowed it to get so bad! In my day you could take a family of 4 to a baseball game/tickets, get hotdogs, drinks, peanuts, popcorn, cotton candy, & a plastic souvenir; barely break a $20 BILL! Now adays you might as well bring the mortgage to your home to guarantee anything you get! The public helps grow tennis events & team franchises; their reward is inflated ticket & concession prices! Wimbledon was always cutthroat from very early on! IIRC. TV rights alone in 1977 got them a staggering $7 M; at the time a staggering amt. for tennis! All they gave to the British Federation to advance the abilities of local players, those generous heads off SW 19 gave a whopping $100 K to the cause! And they wonder why it took the overachievement of SIr Andy Murray to actually put them on the map in Men's tennis! Wade was great for the ladies in her day and did her part, but they needed a dude so badly, they rented one from Canada; Rusedski! My rant is going all over the place when it comes to how sports have been so openly corrupted over the decades! When The Middle East takes TENNIS over w/ so much money to be had, I won't have a reason to even watch it after 50+ years of LIVING THE GAME; playing, watching, teaching, & promoting since 1971! :face-with-head-bandage::astonished-face::fearful-face::yawningface::angry-face:
Old man whinge. With climate change, we need roofs. Also lights are a modern improvement, if that doesn't insult your sensibilities too much. Do you remember some Monfils (and maybe Fognini?) match a few years back at RG lit by nothing but the scoreboard? That's just more quaint than I think we need to be in professional tennis. Shall we just sit out the rain in Paris until Wimbledon?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Old man whinge. With climate change, we need rooves. Also lights are a modern improvement, if that doesn't insult your sensibilities too much. Do you remember some Monfils (or Fognini?) match a few years back at RG lit by nothing but the scoreboard? That's just more quaint than I think we need to be in professional tennis. Shall we just sit out the rain in Paris until Wimbledon?

Lights aren't that innovated; had 'em back at the 1975 USO! I can still picture Margaret Court & Virginia Wade playing doubles under the lights for the 1st time! I can also recall the bugs that are attracted as well! Inhaling mosquitoes was no fun back then! Hopefully they've gotten more advanced in preventing the lit skies from attracting every flying insect & bird in the vicinity! They've a hawk @ Wimbledon IIRC! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lights aren't that innovated; had 'em back at the 1975 USO! I can still picture Margaret Court & Virginia Wade playing doubles under the lights for the 1st time! I can also recall the bugs that are attracted as well! Inhaling mosquitoes was no fun back then! Hopefully they've gotten more advanced in preventing the lit skies from attracting every flying insect & bird in the vicinity! They've a hawk @ Wimbledon IIRC!
OMG with you and the old stories! Anyway, the bugs are worse. Did you miss the bee invasion at Indian Wells this year?

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Due to the poor weather conditions all remaining matches schedule for outside courts have been cancelled
All the matches on Friday will start at 10am on all courts
5 matches on Lenglen and Chatrier

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy to see Matteo Arnaldi into R3 at RG for the very first time in his career, 64 61 63 v Muller
Matteo has won 25 out of the last 31 matches against players ranked outside the Top 60

• Love
Reactions: nehmeth
Status
Not open for further replies.