Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh well not to be Cobolli you had your chances in the TB against Rune

Rune gets through in 5 sets
And in one of Rune's last service games. I hadn't watched him play so much prior to this. He hits really big, and with a lot of accuracy...sort of doesn't miss, a la Djokovic. Commies say he's much improved, which must be true, given this showing.

I know Rune can be polarizing around here, but I'm glad to see him playing some of his best tennis again. He showed a lot of guts and heart at the end of this match to pull off the win. I want to see him do well, because he can make the top of the game interesting for years to come, if he realizes his potential. IMO.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
And in one of Rune's last service games. I hadn't watched him play so much prior to this. He hits really big, and with a lot of accuracy...sort of doesn't miss, a la Djokovic. Commies say he's much improved, which must be true, given this showing.

I know Rune can be polarizing around here, but I'm glad to see him playing some of his best tennis again. He showed a lot of guts and heart at the end of this match to pull off the win. I want to see him do well, because he can make the top of the game interesting for years to come, if he realizes his potential. IMO.
Agree, he has all the weapons and Rune usually plays so well on clay

Reactions: Moxie

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

See, my point of view of him is different, Moxie. Yes, it is great that he is being clutch and winning these tiebreakers, but it will be better for him if he wins in straight sets or in an efficient manner especially in Slams.

Too many times he gets in a mental walkabout during matches thus him playing a lot of these crucial tiebreakers.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
See, my point of view of him is different, Moxie. Yes, it is great that he is being clutch and winning these tiebreakers, but it will be better for him if he wins in straight sets or in an efficient manner especially in Slams.

Too many times he gets in a mental walkabout during matches thus him playing a lot of these crucial tiebreakers.
It would be great if Rune were better in his career than he is now, but he's not. What he's doing is trying to catch up his talent and ambition to his game and results. Sure, should he be winning in straights, like Carlitos and Jannik? He's still only 20. Give him time. I think what happened today is great for his future. To me, it was a bit of a breakthrough at a Major, for him.

Reactions: Fiero425

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It would be great if Rune were better in his career than he is now, but he's not. What he's doing is trying to catch up his talent and ambition to his game and results. Sure, should he be winning in straights, like Carlitos and Jannik? He's still only 20. Give him time. I think what happened today is great for his future. To me, it was a bit of a breakthrough at a Major, for him.
It is only a breakthrough Major for him if he is able to beat Zverev in this tournament, imo. The reason I say this is because Zverev is a Top 4 player right now, so Rune beating him here means that Rune is ready to the leap.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we should let a player develop at their own pace not ours to begin with, Rune has only just turned 20? yes he does have the weapons to be a future Grand Slam champion
He does have a temper, which at times he needs to address in matches and can lose his focus
This year especially has had too many coaching changes in my view?
Now that he is back with Patrick M, who he has had success with before, could be a turning point for Rune this year,, he is too talented not to reach his full potential, hopefully.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

You can take off points for his letting it go 5, or to a TB. I am just giving him points for having heart and guts when it went late. It was a good win for him, IMO.

Reactions: lomaha

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I think we should let a player develop at their own pace not ours to begin with, Rune has only just turned 20? yes he does have the weapons to be a future Grand Slam champion
He does have a temper, which at times he needs to address in matches and can lose his focus
This year especially has had too many coaching changes in my view?
Now that he is back with Patrick M, who he has had success with before, could be a turning point for Rune this year,, he is too talented not to reach his full potential, hopefully.
He turned 21 in May.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
You can take off points for his letting it go 5, or to a TB. I am just giving him points for having heart and guts when it went late. It was a good win for him, IMO.
And sometimes you just have to acknowledge that the opponant is playing the game of his life. An Cobolli played really well in that match and will wake up today wondering what the hell happened in that TB.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
And sometimes you just have to acknowledge that the opponant is playing the game of his life. An Cobolli played really well in that match and will wake up today wondering what the hell happened in that TB.
Exactly my Italian was leading 5-1 in the TB and I really thought he would win, got to give credit to Rune he bite his teeth played some great points in that TB and won, that is a mark of a good player

Reactions: Moxie and nehmeth

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not questioning his heart or ability to play clutch tennis in tight moments. In fact, that’s actually one of his greatest strengths and I give full credit to him especially at 21 years old.

But at the same time, he needs to show small improvements to his game (or mind) in order for him to take the next leap.

I think what he needs to improve is when he has a good lead,he needs to try to finish the match efficiently. Because as of right now, he is great when he is down in the match or the when the match becomes tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I am not questioning his heart or ability to play clutch tennis in tight moments. In fact, that’s actually one of his greatest strengths and I give full credit to him especially at 21 years old.

But at the same time, he needs to show small improvements to his game (or mind) in order for him to take the next leap.

I think what he needs to improve is when he has a good lead,he needs to try to finish the match efficiently. Because as of right now, he is great when he is down in the match or the when the match becomes tight.
Well you can try but you do know that theres an opponant in the game too? And Cobolli IS a great player in good form at the moment. Rune won 3-0 in the game agains Evans, and off cource he tries to win them efficiently. But it's not all up to you.

What I was looking fore was improvement in his mental performance. And no MO, no discussions and interruptions. The debate with the umpire in the 5th set was initiated by the umpire and was bruched quicly aside by Rune. And that was a great improvement from my chair.

Reactions: nehmeth

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well you can try but you do know that theres an opponant in the game too? And Cobolli IS a great player in good form at the moment. Rune won 3-0 in the game agains Evans, and off cource he tries to win them efficiently. But it's not all up to you.

What I was looking fore was improvement in his mental performance. And no MO, no discussions and interruptions. The debate with the umpire in the 5th set was initiated by the umpire and was bruched quicly aside by Rune. And that was a great improvement from my chair.
That’s what I precisely want from Rune. Yes, it won’t be efficient all the time, but at least he can avoid the tight matches and save energy for future matches.

Like I said, from a mental standpoint, he has shown that he can be very clutch and fearless especially when he is down in the match. It is why his best two matches in the season were against Fritz at IW and against Sinner at MC. He fought hard and dig deep those matches when he was down in those matches.

I didn’t wrote this but this basically Rune right now:
IMG_7107.jpeg

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
That’s what I precisely want from Rune. Yes, it won’t be efficient all the time, but at least he can avoid the tight matches and save energy for future matches.

Like I said, from a mental standpoint, he has shown that he can be very clutch and fearless especially when he is down in the match. It is why his best two matches in the season were against Fritz at IW and against Sinner at MC. He fought hard and dig deep those matches when he was down in those matches.

I didn’t wrote this but this basically Rune right now: View attachment 9498
Ha ha - that is definitly a dane ("Storeforlygter" means "really big headlights" and meaning "boobs"...)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Arnaldi and Rublev are about to step out onto court. This could be a similar match to yesterday’s with Rune and Cobolli. If Rublev’s backhand is at the same level as his last match, it could be much shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.