Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW watched my no 1 Italian Sinner earlier seemed fine and no problem with his hip, fingers crossed!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Well I was just giving him a slight push to do so lol!
Maybe he doesn't want a year long goodbye tour. He might pull a Serena and just announce before his fave tournament that he's evolving away from the game. Haha

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW watched my no 1 Italian Sinner earlier seemed fine and no problem with his hip, fingers crossed!
I said above I picked Zverev-Tsitsipas in the final, but that's only because I'm worried about the wear of the tournament for Alcaraz and Sinner. But it really should be some combination of those four, with Novak and Ruud on the outside looking in.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yes, I saw the SB. They had him on Lenglen earlier. Now that Nads is out, maybe he'll get to play on PC for R2.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, I saw the SB. They had him on Lenglen earlier. Now that Nads is out, maybe he'll get to play on PC for R2.
I think so, also it was very early, anyway he won in straight sets, no problem for his 1st round match

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Back to Rafa, I agree with whoever said he would have beaten 90% of players today - so bad luck from the Draw Gods, especially when you consider Rafa's penchant for playing himself into form. His overall level reminds me a bit of 2015-16...which were off years, but he was still top 10 caliber, just not top 5.

As for Sascha, staying focused the next few rounds is key. It is a bit tricky mentally to come off a 1st round win against a great player and stay focused. But he seems pretty locked in and is going to be hard to beat, if he keeps the focus.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He has a good draw. Should reach semis even with one hip. Baez/Dimitrov could give him some run for the money, but he can take care of them.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He has a good draw. Should reach semis even with one hip. Baez/Dimitrov could give him some run for the money, but he can take care of them.
Agree he does have a good draw considering last year at RG he lost in the 2nd round, hopefully he can play himself into good form, you know I think he is still has to develop more on clay, so far this year he has done well, except for straining his hip in the gym

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've always thought clay separates the men from the boys. Droves of players can whack the fuzz off the ball, but clay requires some thought to building the point, great movement, footwork and timing can expose a player's weakness
That’s a main reason why the level of American players has been dismal. Hard courts you play the bounce. Clay makes you play the ball. You have to adjust your movement, your footwork, your preparation… it makes you a better player.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s a main reason why the level of American players has been dismal. Hard courts you play the bounce. Clay makes you play the ball. You have to adjust your movement, your footwork, your preparation… it makes you a better player.
Maybe I am biased I was raised on clay, also it does help you translate to other surfaces, especially your foot work which is just essential on clay

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
So telling. Learning to play on clay would make them better players on their beloved HC's too, but they just don't get it.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe I am biased I was raised on clay, also it does help you translate to other surfaces, especially your foot work which is just essential on clay
I was also raised on red clay (at Germantown Cricket Club) and HarTru. We’d spend hours playing, doing drills, doing round robins. Also much easier on the legs than cement.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was also raised on red clay (at Germantown Cricket Club) and HarTru. We’d spend hours playing, doing drills, doing round robins. Also much easier on the legs than cement.
Like wise, coach would have us doing drills after drills, I hated him at times lol! still it made us concentrate and also at the same time trained our minds to focus

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe the USA men should go to Chis Evert''s academy and learn a thing or two from Chrissie on how to play on clay, she was great to watch on clay

Reactions: kskate2
Status
Not open for further replies.