Roland Garros - Day 9, Monday June 1 - Order of Play

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
I'm not sure I would classify Simon or Tsonga as headcases.

I didn't say Simon. Tsonga is borderline, imo. He's lost some big matches that he should have won.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Moose said:
I think in the long run, Rafa will not be helped by what have been relatively easy matches through the first four rounds. He hasn't been tested, he hasn't had to play his best tennis. And next he likely will face Nole, who beat him on clay recently, and has faced tougher competition thus far in the event.

thats what i was thinking these matches might not have really helped him at all. none of these guys are on rafas level even if hes playing at 50-60%

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Moose said:
I think in the long run, Rafa will not be helped by what have been relatively easy matches through the first four rounds. He hasn't been tested, he hasn't had to play his best tennis. And next he likely will face Nole, who beat him on clay recently, and has faced tougher competition thus far in the event.

This tournament is quite simple, really. If Rafa beats Novak on Wednesday, then no one is going to stop him from #10/15. If he loses to Novak, then it is unlikely, if dimly possible, that someone takes him out, so it would be Novak's to lose.

So we'd have:

QF
Novak vs. Rafa - great match
Ferrer vs. Murray - could be interesting.
Roger vs. Wawrinka - could be interesting.
Tsonga vs. Nishikori - great match.

Every one is at least interesting. When you get to the SF, not so much:

SF
Novak or Rafa vs. Ferrer - blah
Novak vs Murray - could be interesting
Rafa vs Murray - blah
Roger vs. Tsonga or Nishikori - great matches
Stan vs. Tsonga or Kei - could be interesting

Not quite as interesting matchups there, for the most part.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa won twice the number of points (28) as Sock (14) in 2nd set.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Moose said:

This tournament is quite simple, really. If Rafa beats Novak on Wednesday, then no one is going to stop him from #10/15. If he loses to Novak, then it is unlikely, if dimly possible, that someone takes him out, so it would be Novak's to lose.

So we'd have:

QF
Novak vs. Rafa - great match
Ferrer vs. Murray - could be interesting.
Roger vs. Wawrinka - could be interesting.
Tsonga vs. Nishikori - great match.

Every one is at least interesting. When you get to the SF, not so much:

SF
Novak or Rafa vs. Ferrer - blah
Novak vs Murray - could be interesting
Rafa vs Murray - blah
Roger vs. Tsonga or Nishikori - great matches
Stan vs. Tsonga or Kei - could be interesting

Not quite as interesting matchups there, for the most part.

I don't agree. Novak's psychology after that win will be very important. It might be hard not to think you've already won the whole thing. Just looka t Roger in '09.

If he has to still get past Murray and then Roger, then there is no way in heck it's a certainty. He's not THAT much better :nono

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ If it plays out that way you are right that it would be tough. But realistically Ferrer has an excellent chance vs. Murray on clay and Roger could lose to any of the 3 other players on his side. It could be something like Ferrer in the semis and Nishikori in the finals. In that case Nole isn't losing. The big one is Wednesday of course, whoever wins that match is the overwhelming favorite to win the tournament.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Federer blitzed through then I see. gael was tired and 'sick' ..as expected.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ If it plays out that way you are right that it would be tough. But realistically Ferrer has an excellent chance vs. Murray on clay and Roger could lose to any of the 3 other players on his side. It could be something like Ferrer in the semis and Nishikori in the finals. In that case Nole isn't losing. The big one is Wednesday of course, whoever wins that match is the overwhelming favorite to win the tournament.

I actually think that Kei could be extremely dangerous for Novak. Yes he should win, but that kid can play. If he brings it like at Flushing Novak will not be a shoo in. It will be instructive to see Novak's mentality and performance level if (IF) he is able to get past Rafa. I for one am not ready to dismiss the clay monster yet. No matter what anyone says he's still the 9 times champion..

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
DarthFed said:

I actually think that Kei could be extremely dangerous for Novak. Yes he should win, but that kid can play. If he brings it like at Flushing Novak will not be a shoo in. It will be instructive to see Novak's mentality and performance level if (IF) he is able to get past Rafa. I for one am not ready to dismiss the clay monster yet. No matter what anyone says he's still the 9 times champion..

Kei could be tough for sure, I just think given the circumstances, enormous final and all, that Nole would find it easier to step up and win comfortably. Beating Rafa and then seeing Roger in the final could make it tougher mentally.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
thought sock's forehand was supposed to be scary ?..

he keeps missing the court with it..or hitting the net with it. wrong way round jack old bean.