Roland Garros - Day 9, Monday June 1 - Order of Play

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, I7ll be honest. If I had to bet my house on the outcome, I think I might go with Ferrer. Tough call. Murray has a 14-match winning streak on clay but still... Gonna be a tough one.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Yeah, I7ll be honest. If I had to bet my house on the outcome, I think I might go with Ferrer. Tough call. Murray has a 14-match winning streak on clay but still... Gonna be a tough one.

I think and hope Murray will do it this time. Ferrer doesn't have that certain je ne sais quoi these days, whereas Murray's been blessed by the clay court gods.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^To be honest, watching how Roger dispatches Ferrer, for the life of me I can't understand how he's been able to win matches against the rest of the top 4. Matchups are truly the mysteries of tennis

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
mrzz said:
Federer in full give-his-fans-hope mode. I hate him.

:laydownlaughing

I don't hate him, just do not really care. And he won enough, I want Nole to win the big titles, not Olderer

He hasn't won enough yet. Couple more slams then maybe we will talk.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
herios said:
mrzz said:
Federer in full give-his-fans-hope mode. I hate him.

I don't hate him, just do not really care. And he won enough, I want Nole to win the big titles, not Olderer

I would be happy with one more Wimbledon and one more US Open!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow! Rafa went 3 - 0 up? Was that Sock not warmed up yet, or Rafa just bossing it?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
DarthFed said:
herios said:

19 total is reasonable. Given that 3-8 record in 5 setters in the semis and finals of majors he could've been there and beyond a long time ago.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
federberg said:
DarthFed said:

19 total is reasonable. Given that 3-8 record in 5 setters in the semis and finals of majors he could've been there and beyond a long time ago.

The only losses that really bug me are the Delpo loss and AO 09, Wimbledon 08, 14 :blush:

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal takes the first set. And with that I must hit the hay or I will be worthless tomorrow. Go Sock!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The three USO losses from 09-11 are probably the worst of his career given the circumstances and what was at stake. At least in 2008 and 2014 Wimbledon's he made a big comeback to get back into the match even if the 5th sets consisted of very underwhelming play when he had momentum. Those 3 USO losses were all collapses (I won't use that nasty 5 letter c word that ends in hoke)

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So far Sock is playing well given the circumstances. He is playing Nadal about as tough as to be expected since this is their first time playing one another.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Nadal takes the first set. And with that I must hit the hay or I will be worthless tomorrow. Go Sock!

Goodnight, Kirijax. Go Nadal! ;)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
The three USO losses from 09-11 are probably the worst of his career given the circumstances and what was at stake. At least in 2008 and 2014 Wimbledon's he made a big comeback to get back into the match even if the 5th sets consisted of very underwhelming play when he had momentum. Those 3 USO losses were all collapses (I won't use that nasty 5 letter c word that ends in hoke)

Lol! For me, the thing that makes the US Open losses particularly hard to take is the fact that I often have to compromise my sleep to watch the stupid matches. The least he can do, is bl00dy win the things! :devil

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carlos Bernardes is officiating the Djokovic v. Gasquet match. While they were waiting for Richard to come out on court, Nole leans over and says, "Are you going to be here Wednesday?" :snicker

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Well those losses are why I say Roger has badly underachieved at the USO over the years, especially given how good he still can play on fast hard courts. I still hold out hope that he will get #6 at some point but he should already be on 7 at least when we start talking about 2012 and 2014 losses as well.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ Well those losses are why I say Roger has badly underachieved at the USO over the years, especially given how good he still can play on fast hard courts. I still hold out hope that he will get #6 at some point but he should already be on 7 at least when we start talking about 2012 and 2014 losses as well.

I do agree, his drop off in performance at Flushing has been hard to understand generally. Although Novak has stood in his way a few times. I can almost tolerate the losses to Novak, as he is the only player in this era that will have his hardcourt pedigree. But I agree the actual specifics of those Novak losses were painful to say the least, especially the one with "the shot" :(

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh dear.. Sock being invited to a nice Parisian bakery it seems. Bon appetit!

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
The chances of Roger getting to 19 Slams is so slim, I hate to say it. The big obstacle is #18, so in a way if he can get that then #19 is more do-able. But it is hard imagining a scenario where he wins a Slam, with Novak playing at this level, more so if Rafa has a resurgence.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think in the long run, Rafa will not be helped by what have been relatively easy matches through the first four rounds. He hasn't been tested, he hasn't had to play his best tennis. And next he likely will face Nole, who beat him on clay recently, and has faced tougher competition thus far in the event.