Roland Garros - Day 9, Monday June 1 - Order of Play

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Look at Sock, he snuck in a set. He has to like this especially against Nadal on clay.

It's damn impressive, IMO, especially considering it's on clay, at RG -- and the first time he's ever played Rafa.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That he does need to get his first serve in and lower the double faults he has practically given 2 games worth away.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
As much as I'm enjoying this, I wish they would give Novak/Gasquet some air time, too. But when a US player is on court, ESPN and the Tennis Channel tend to stick with those matches.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Sock can work on his backhand, improve on his serve a bit and take his fitness to the next level he could be a nice beacon for American tennis. This would be the time to try and look for some additional voices.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
As much as I'm enjoying this, I wish they would give Novak/Gasquet some air time, too. But when a US player is on court, ESPN and the Tennis Channel tend to stick with those matches.

For some reason ESPN3 is still carrying the feed for the Gasquet/Djokovic match.

Novak is up 6-1, 6-2 playing his C game. :nono

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The issue with American guys is while they are fit not one of them is fit on a level that any of the Top 5 players are.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
What I'm also impressed with is that Sock didn't go away after dropping the second set 1-6. He came into the third, knowing he was two sets to love down, and played aggressive, confident tennis. A lot of guys would have faded after losing that second set.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
That he does need to get his first serve in and lower the double faults he has practically given 2 games worth away.

See, I brought this up the other day and was told by a poster they would rather see him DF hitting an aggressive 2nd serve then to throw in a Muzza special. :D

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tented said:

How many opportunities do they get to show an American on TV outside of Serena?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

See, I brought this up the other day and was told by a poster they would rather see him DF hitting an aggressive 2nd serve then to throw in a Muzza special. :D

I can see both sides. He needs to pick and choose his spots better to be aggressive with his second serve. Going for it say on break point not a smart idea say if you are playing Rafa or Djokovic. Being overly aggressive on second serve anyway is never smart because it shows lack of confidence. It might actually pay off to throw in different paces on second serves. Your opponent might start missing some returns.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:
tented said:

How many opportunities do they get to show an American on TV outside of Serena?

True. And when they show guys like Isner or Querrey, I would rather watch cricket -- a sport I don't even understand! :lolz: (The "Willow Cricket" channel showed up in my cable a while ago, so I'll watch a bit, then get frustrated and turn.)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Scoreboard is showing 1-1 in the third for Novak/Richard, but I haven't seen a single point.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
One of the commentators on the stream I'm watching says they've measured socks RPMs and they're almost as high as Nadal's.