Cincinnati Masters 2019, Ohio, US, ATP Masters 1000

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Haven’t we all watched enough tennis to know that if player X beats player Y but loses to player Z there is no automatic correlation if X plays Z again because matchups are different. The top players don’t perform at the exact same level every friggin time and their opponents level of play impacts that also.

Forget tennis that’s just sports.

Medvedev got red hot and had muscle memory of having beaten Djokovic in the recent past. It happens.

It has nothing to do with Nadal other than perhaps Medvedev managed the pressure better this time because he had been in a similar situation with a top player the previous week (Nadal) and learned something from that loss.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
And if montreal wasn’t evidence of what an offensive player nadal is, not sure what is. Nadal is one of the most aggresive players on tour. He only plays defense when he is being attacked, usually because opponents red line. When he plays a counterpuncher, he is relentlessly aggressive. He powered through medvedev..

IDK WTF you people are talking about! Nadal "CAN" be a very offensive player, but for the most part he isn't and doesn't play like that! Why are players outside the top 50 keeping him on court for so long, making him go the distance all too often? Ridiculous! What era of tennis have you guys been watching? If so offensive, why the need to pull out his bag of "gamesmanship" tricks; stalling, challenging every close call, & mysterious MTO's? Come on guys; we've all been around here too long to try and have temporary amnesia just to make a point! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
From what I saw last night..if it goes 3,sets.i got Obi Wan Knobi over DM..DM is playing great but he has to be worn out by playing so much tennis this Summer.

Reactions: Fiero425

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
I forgot Goffin actually beat Medvedev in their most recent meeting at Wimbledon 2019, was thinking easy win today for Medvedev

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
From what I saw last night..if it goes 3,sets.i got Obi Wan Knobi over DM..DM is playing great but he has to be worn out by playing so much tennis this Summer.

You know what's going to happen; with Daniil's current success, he's bound to be upset in the 1st or 2nd round of the USO! Others like FAA might just WD like he did in Europe over the summer! It seems as if only the Big 3 can win week in and week out, but not suffer the after-affects of that success; sans Nadal on HC I guess! He did WD from both Semi's when down in AO and USO last season! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :eek:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Goffin donated a TB. Good tennis though and too many empty seats.

Goffin is making Daniil work for it! We'll see at what cost this 1st Masters' win will change his fortunes! He's obviously won the most matches so far this season; esp. on HC! Is this the breakthrough player we've been hoping for; maybe continue a run to the USO final & shock the world? I'm seeing an upset more than a significant run! It's just tough on these new players! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek: o_O :rolleyes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice win for Daniil! I had forgotten to note that he was in 3 finals in a row, and gets the win today. Now ranked #5.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
IDK WTF you people are talking about! Nadal "CAN" be a very offensive player, but for the most part he isn't and doesn't play like that! Why are players outside the top 50 keeping him on court for so long, making him go the distance all too often? Ridiculous! What era of tennis have you guys been watching? If so offensive, why the need to pull out his bag of "gamesmanship" tricks; stalling, challenging every close call, & mysterious MTO's? Come on guys; we've all been around here too long to try and have temporary amnesia just to make a point!
Aside from the other tired BS in this post, why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about Nadal using the challenge system? You've mentioned it before. If it's close, it's pretty common for a player to challenge. Did you see how many times Djokovic challenged last night? Quite a few, and they weren't all correct. But isn't this why there is a challenge system?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to Danny on winning Cincy. We definitely needed some fresh blood. :clap:

Recent first time Masters winners include the next genners Sasha, Khachanov, Thiem and Medvedev and the lost genners JMDP and Isner.

He became the 13th non-big-four player to win a Masters - others not named above are Tsonga, Berdych, Ferrer, Robredo, Cilic, Grigor and Sock.

It appears that Cincy is becoming a good place for first time winners - Cilic in 2016, Grigor in 2017 and now Med in 2019.

Bercy still holds the record for this. As many five different players - Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer, Sock and Khachanov - won their first Masters title there. But, Cincy is coming very close.

Now, I hope one of the newbies win USO.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Haven’t we all watched enough tennis to know that if player X beats player Y but loses to player Z there is no automatic correlation if X plays Z again because matchups are different. The top players don’t perform at the exact same level every friggin time and their opponents level of play impacts that also.

Forget tennis that’s just sports.

Medvedev got red hot and had muscle memory of having beaten Djokovic in the recent past. It happens.

It has nothing to do with Nadal other than perhaps Medvedev managed the pressure better this time because he had been in a similar situation with a top player the previous week (Nadal) and learned something from that loss.
I think what DM learn from loosing to Rafa was just go for it.

Reactions: don_fabio