Cincinnati Masters 2019, Ohio, US, ATP Masters 1000

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
LOL Rafa first of all returns from very far behind the baseline which neutralizes Medvedev's serve as he puts more returns into play. He also plays with a lot of topspin, short angles, slices which throws Medvedev's game out of rhythm. He also has a tricky lefty serve. He has absolutely nothing to do with Djokovic's robotic flat game which Medvedev has managed to beat twice or otherwise turned into close matches! Jeez! Not saying that Nadal will always beat Medvedev easily but Medvedev was ON FIRE in Montreal and Nadal broke him down into pieces. It has zero to do with how Medvedev's game matches with Djokovic.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a tough day at the office for Novak
IMG_20190817_191250.jpg

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just watched the highlights. It does seem that Novak was fine and Medvedev has just better. Medvedev growing in confidence by the week. @atttomole perhaps Rafa would or wouldn't have beaten Daniil, but he was probably lucky to have gotten him a week earlier, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Can’t say I’m happy with the result but Daniil deserved the win. Played really good.
Glad to see no signs of elbow problems from Novak.
I hope daniil will win the title, pretty sure about that.

Reactions: Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Judging from the highlights Medvedev started serving lights out at 3:3 in 2nd set and down 0:30, like he hit a serve switch or something. Novak slightly dipped in next game and beginning of 3rd. Medvedev took his chances and never looked back. He was shoveling those balls. It looks like no elbow issue for Novak, he was just outplayed.

As AP said, difficult match up for Novak. This guy can grind and attack, has a huge serve and moves really well for his height. Results are telling too, 2 wins this season over Novak and almost took him to 5th in AO.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev did one of the hardest things in tennis, took Djokovic out of his rhythm by not letting him grooved on his
Goundies.

Since Medvedev was winded playing his usual game he switched gears. Easier said than done.
Reminded me when an injured ailing player gets super aggressive and hits out to win points quickly and sometimes it actually works for the win.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Judging from the highlights Medvedev started serving lights out at 3:3 in 2nd set and down 0:30, like he hit a serve switch or something. Novak slightly dipped in next game and beginning of 3rd. Medvedev took his chances and never looked back. He was shoveling those balls. It looks like no elbow issue for Novak, he was just outplayed.

As AP said, difficult match up for Novak. This guy can grind and attack, has a huge serve and moves really well for his height. Results are telling too, 2 wins this season over Novak and almost took him to 5th in AO.

novak dipped and Daniil raised his level, fast court helps. Level of Novak in the first was very good, had

Daniil played all or nothing from 3:3 in the 2nd set, look at those 2nd serves, unbelievable ! It worked for a best of 3 match. Kudos, I like him a lot.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^^ @Bonaca I've never been this much quoted in my whole life :lol3: Yes kudos to Daniil, his all or nothing approach won him the match and I think is even positive for Novak to reset himself with a loss outside of slams.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
^^ @Bonaca I've never been this much quoted in my whole life :lol3: Yes kudos to Daniil, his all or nothing approach won him the match and I think is even positive for Novak to reset himself with a loss outside of slams.
Sorry man, start writing then interrupted by my children, then start again and the same:-)2.
Yes I think it’s not that bad. Most important is he’s healthy.
By the way, Stipe won last night!! Pozdrav u domovinu

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Medvedev did one of the hardest things in tennis, took Djokovic out of his rhythm by not letting him grooved on his
Goundies.

Since Medvedev was winded playing his usual game he switched gears. Easier said than done.
Reminded me when an injured ailing player gets super aggressive and hits out to win points quickly and sometimes it actually works for the win.
Agreed

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
Medvedev was being outplayed, switched gears and starting basically serving 2 first serves and he wasn’t missing. This threw novak off.

Novak also doesn’t look great when he plays counterpunchers... he usually beats them but doesn’t look good. Even though he has beaten murray and simon most of the times, he doesn’t look that comfortable. When novak is forced to hit baseine winners consistently, he can get frustrated. Medvedev has this counterpunching style, combined with hot serving like he served yesterday, tough match up for novak.

Nadal is different, he eats counterpunchers alive, players have to attack nadal so why medvedev looked pedestrian against nadal. Medvedev is a pure counterpuncher and to beat him, you have to use angles, spins, change of pace... Djokovic is a supreme baseliner but his main strength is depth, medvedev plays behind the baseline and gets to everything.. a wall. Djokovic has to introduce more angles, drop shots, change of pace to dominate med, it’s a tough match up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10isfan and mrzz

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just watched the match again and Medvedev trashed Djokovic in the last 2 sets! Wow it was really a destruction! :clap: This version of Medvedev can maybe take 5 games from Nadal instead of 3! Wow! :clap:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Good analysis above. It will be an interesting match up with Goffin, who is a counter puncher himself, but that has one very interesting feature: he is one of the best guys on tour to change the ball's direction. Being also a consistent player, this could mean that both players are in for some running... even in the quick courts of Cincy.

Reactions: 10isfan

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev was being outplayed, switched gears and starting basically serving 2 first serves and he wasn’t missing. This threw novak off.

Novak also doesn’t look great when he plays counterpunchers... he usually beats them but doesn’t look good. Even though he has beaten murray and simon most of the times, he doesn’t look that comfortable. When novak is forced to hit baseine winners consistently, he can get frustrated. Medvedev has this counterpunching style, combined with hot serving like he served yesterday, tough match up for novak.

Nadal is different, he eats counterpunchers alive, players have to attack nadal so why medvedev looked pedestrian against nadal. Medvedev is a pure counterpuncher and to beat him, you have to use angles, spins, change of pace... Djokovic is a supreme baseliner but his main strength is depth, medvedev plays behind the baseline and gets to everything.. a wall. Djokovic has to introduce more angles, drop shots, change of pace to dominate med, it’s a tough match up.
He confirmed it after the match, maximises the risk on serve and it works. Haha he said when it works good, when not it changes nothing, he would loose anyway. A set and a half Novak controlled the match, then Daniil went in suicidal mode. It affected his service game, that was crucial. By keeping his level from first set we would likely saw at least one TB.
Daniil confirmed he was tired after one set being pushed all over the court, in NY on slower HC and best of 5 I'm with Mr. Đjoković.

Reactions: Fiero425

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
He confirmed it after the match, maximises the risk on serve and it works. Haha he said when it works good, when not it changes nothing, he would loose anyway. A set and a half Novak controlled the match, then Daniil went in suicidal mode. It affected his service game, that was crucial. By keeping his level from first set we would likely saw at least one TB.
Daniil confirmed he was tired after one set being pushed all over the court, in NY on slower HC and best of 5 I'm with Mr. Đjoković.

Yes, novak should win most of their matches as novak is simply a better player. Having said this, look at their AO match and look at novak’s wins vs murray.. novak gets frustrated with counterpunchers.. when they just get ball in play and force novak to create winners.. novak looks not so good, even though he wins most of the matches. This counterounching style plus the hot serving, was perfect storm novak couldn’t deal with

Last edited:

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
And if montreal wasn’t evidence of what an offensive player nadal is, not sure what is. Nadal is one of the most aggresive players on tour. He only plays defense when he is being attacked, usually because opponents red line. When he plays a counterpuncher, he is relentlessly aggressive. He powered through medvedev..

Reactions: Bonaca

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
And if montreal wasn’t evidence of what an offensive player nadal is, not sure what is. Nadal is one of the most aggresive players on tour. He only plays defense when he is being attacked, usually because opponents red line. When he plays a counterpuncher, he is relentlessly aggressive. He powered through medvedev..
Agree completely. Creating more Winners AND playing more aggressive is what novak needs against this kind of players. Also against for example Stanislas and the Austrian guy named Thiem.