Cincinnati Masters 2019, Ohio, US, ATP Masters 1000

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
That’s not true..The roof being closed gave a very distinct advantage to Novak’s serve and ground strokes.,If not why didn’t he want the roof open. It was 73 and sunny outside..

Nole was just coming back from his emotional and physical hiatus; making the final in Queens the tourney before! I was praying the rules would be in Novak's favor for a change; the roof making the difference in that Wimbledon SF IMO! Isner did us all a favor by extending his match to well over 5 hours with Anderson! Nadal was on the cusp of taking advantage of Roger being upset and Nole not at his best! The final would have been a formality; so he's gotta be thinking of "what could have been" as well as Roger! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :rolleyes:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The quality of this year's final is highly overrated but still beyond last year's semi. Djokovic was pretty damn weak that match, the Rafa fans know it which is why it was even more painful. Djoker played pretty weak this final too, making the loss all the more pathetic for Roger.

I'm not trying to take away from Nole's victory, but he really wasn't playing that well in that final! He was very fortunate to take his 5th Wimbledon; a real gift from Roger! That pendulum swing is freakin' huge; possibly 21-18-15! That might have taken Djokovic out of the running for GOAT but for a missed 1st serve and a passing shot that shouldn't have even been played! "Thanks Roger!" :whistle: :yesyes: :rolleyes:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not trying to take away from Nole's victory, but he really wasn't playing that well in that final! He was very fortunate to take his 5th Wimbledon; a real gift from Roger! That pendulum swing is freakin' huge; possibly 21-18-15! That might have taken Djokovic out of the running for GOAT but for a missed 1st serve and a passing shot that shouldn't have even been played! "Thanks Roger!" :whistle: :yesyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, Novak was rather bad in this final and his stats are absolutely pathetic. Roger played a decent match for the majority but was special ed Fed in ALL the key moments.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yes, Novak was rather bad in this final and his stats are absolutely pathetic. Roger played a decent match for the majority but was special ed Fed in ALL the key moments.

You ain't kidding; Nole no unforced errors in the 3 TB's while Roger had 11! That was the match! It was his for the taking; esp. w/ MP's! :whistle:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What would be interesting for the upcoming USO is for Djokovic to beat Federer in a third SF saving again 2 match points and completing the hat trick, and then losing to Nadal in a third final completing another hat trick. :clap:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
What would be interesting for the upcoming USO is for Djokovic to beat Federer in a third SF saving again 2 match points and completing the hat trick, and then losing to Nadal in a third final completing another hat trick. :clap:

Or Roger getting to play Naddy at USO and winning his 7th straight off clay. Nadal is something like 2-12 on HC vs Novak since the latter became good. But you go on and hope for a miracle :yes:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Or Roger getting to play Naddy at USO and winning his 7th straight off clay. Nadal is something like 2-12 on HC vs Novak since the latter became good. But you go on and hope for a miracle :yes:

Laugh while you can but soon you will be in tears... :laugh: :yesyes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal's knees haven't prevented him from shit on grass. The stuff plays a bit fast and low (his very worst conditions) the first week of the tournament which is why he lost early to a bunch of clowns for half a decade. Rafa improved his all-around game since 2017 which is why he is now suddenly surviving the weak opponents on grass.
Choose to believe what you like about not being able to get as low due to dodgy knees. (Even though you acknowledge them often enough when hoping they blow out again.) However, yes, his change in strategy has worked better for him there in recent years.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Nole was just coming back from his emotional and physical hiatus; making the final in Queens the tourney before! I was praying the rules would be in Novak's favor for a change; the roof making the difference in that Wimbledon SF IMO! Isner did us all a favor by extending his match to well over 5 hours with Anderson! Nadal was on the cusp of taking advantage of Roger being upset and Nole not at his best! The final would have been a formality; so he's gotta be thinking of "what could have been" as well as Roger! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :rolleyes:
Why are you one of the few posters who will and can tell the truth..You Sir, are what I call a Grown Ass Man! Bravo!

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The quality of this year's final is highly overrated but still beyond last year's semi. Djokovic was pretty damn weak that match, the Rafa fans know it which is why it was even more painful. Djoker played pretty weak this final too, making the loss all the more pathetic for Roger.
I disagree..Everyone is entitled to their opinion but check with the experts who get paid to provide their opinions..I am surprised Moxie co-sign for this year’s finals..but it’s her opinion.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Wtf? Last year's semi was dog shit. It had drama but it was full of very passive and error prone, nervous play from both and they looked like amateurs for a good bit of the match. He never won back to back Wimbledon titles btw unless you'd like to travel back in time and rewrite history.
I realize no one has called you out about it but you don’t know a damn thing about tennis. I would seriously doubt that you have ever played the game besides playing with your significant other or relatives who hang around you because you are their next of Kin..e.g when you are in a cross court rallie, when should a player take the offensive..option A when the other player’s left foot is in the doubles alley or option B when the ball is close to your left shoulder..Answer the question please without assistance.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting thought...that the MS are more on offer because the Big 3 are mostly focused on Majors. Going off the top of my head, though, there are a few that I don't think were given up lightly: Did Djokovic want to lose Bercy to KK? If he was saving himself for YEC, that didn't work out for him. Was Rafa really OK to be skunked by F3 at MC this year, even though he still won RG? Did Roger lose IW last year to JMDP because he had his eyes on Wimbledon? Or to Thiem this year? If you make the last Sunday, you don't really roll over because your focus is on Majors. I guess the Zverev win over Roger gets an asterisk because of back issues. Surely Roger wanted to win MC when he played that final v. Wawrinka. Of the rest of the one-time wonders, I'd be curious how many beat the big guys to win it. But those were old-timers. Of the ones that have won it recently, they were mostly young, and did beat the top guys to win it, so that says something.

Wawrinka MC final was long ago. I am talking about the recent past (since the beginning of 2017 to be precise) as I said in the OP.
Of course Novak did not want to lose to KK and Rafa did not want to lose to Fog etc. Nobody WANTS to lose in any tournament they
participate in. The question is whether they are really putting their full force and trying to win it or taking it easy. I think it is the later
case in the recent past. That is why as many as eight different players have won their first Masters just from the start of 2017 (when the
corresponding number is 7 from approximately the period of 2003 to 2016).

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wawrinka MC final was long ago. I am talking about the recent past (since the beginning of 2017 to be precise) as I said in the OP.
Of course Novak did not want to lose to KK and Rafa did not want to lose to Fog etc. Nobody WANTS to lose in any tournament they
participate in. The question is whether they are really putting their full force and trying to win it or taking it easy. I think it is the later
case in the recent past. That is why as many as eight different players have won their first Masters just from the start of 2017 (when the
corresponding number is 7 from approximately the period of 2003 to 2016).
Well, you opened your OP with this: "15 different non-big-four players have won Masters since Fed won Wimbledon 2003. More importantly, since the beginning of 2017, in a span of about 2.5 years, eight new players have won their first Masters title." So, I thought you'd opened up to the full time, but I get where you're going. And I did basically agree with you, that the Big 3 are focused on Majors. But are you saying that these MS are rather "gifted" because the Big 3 don't care about them as much? I will at least stand by my statement that where one of the Big 3 have made the final, I think they cared plenty about winning. I also think that they play a tournament to win it, for the most part. At least some credit has to be given to the Next Genners that won a MS over a Big 3 in a final. That's a big step up.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
That’s not true..The roof being closed gave a very distinct advantage to Novak’s serve and ground strokes.,If not why didn’t he want the roof open. It was 73 and sunny outside..
I didn’t say it was no advantage, I said it wasn’t the deciding fact. Novak had the indoor advantage and Nadal the better shape, he was playing really good that match. The roof , in my opinion isn’t that important for the outcome. Novaks play style is Nadals biggest problem. Everything else, in my opinion, are excuses.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn’t say it was no advantage, I said it wasn’t the deciding fact. Novak had the indoor advantage and Nadal the better shape, he was playing really good that match. The roof , in my opinion isn’t that important for the outcome. Novaks play style is Nadals biggest problem. Everything else, in my opinion, are excuses.
so if the Novak’s style was Rafa’s biggest problem, why did Novak opt to keep the roof close..he could Have agreed with Rafa and the Sunny conditions outside. How ridiculous did it look when Serena match was played a few minutes afterwards with the roof opened.. Explain please ..( not DarthFed...he wouldn’t like Rafa even if Rafa Gave him exclusive access to his new yacht. Fiero you know better but I know you gonna stand by your champion..hey by the way..I hung out with some of Novak’s Serbian buddies in Cincinnati last week,.real cool dudes.. They did say that Front is full of horse mature:shitstorm:..

Last edited: