ATP Cup, Australia

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm wondering if anyone else has an opinion on this tournament, so far. Granted, I've watched very little, since it's in Oz, and I'm saving my sleepless nights for the AO, but it seems really drawn out without much result, up to now. I even played the ATP challenge for it, but I'm still waiting to see if any of my picks play out. That is to say, it's not inspiring a lot of drama. I wonder what our friends in Australia think, especially, who may have more opportunity to watch matches. To me, thus far, I'd say I'd put it behind DC and Laver Cup, in terms of fun and drama. Opinions?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I figured it may have, but I don't think it really could have been. Interesting, though, is that Djokovic admits to lack of fitness, esp. compared to Gael, and yet he used to rules to make up for it. I wonder if the rules are different know from what they were then.
Yes. They have changed the rules..Novak victory that day was very unfair but he knows he manipulated the system

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They didn't show this on my TV, but Zverev just went down to Shapo 2 and 2. He is at risk of becoming Dimitrov.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
They didn't show this on my TV, but Zverev just went down to Shapo 2 and 2. He is at risk of becoming Dimitrov.

I watched a bit of that match,,I switched back to the ladies.Quite frankly at the ATP Cup he seems to get worse with each match he has played,just woeful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched a bit of that match,honestly he needs to re-think his tennis career,I switched back to the ladies.Quite frankly at the ATP Cup he seems to get worse with each match he has played,just woeful.
I hope not his whole career, but surely his tennis. IIRC, he was just in the SFs of the YEC, which he was defending. Now, I don't think he's won a match at this tournament. What goes on with him? He's had the Yips on his 2nd serve, but he has more game than that. He needs to get a grip. I'm recalling what Rafa said when he beat Medvedev, when down 1-5 in the 3rd. He said you can't be too convinced by your own talent/greatness. You have to remember you're not that good. I think Zverev needs to stop being convinced by his own talent, do the work, and find ways to win if the serve isn't working. I suspect he suffers from a surfeit of pride.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope not his whole career, but surely his tennis. IIRC, he was just in the SFs of the YEC, which he was defending. Now, I don't think he's won a match at this tournament. What goes on with him? He's had the Yips on his 2nd serve, but he has more game than that. He needs to get a grip. I'm recalling what Rafa said when he beat Medvedev, when down 1-5 in the 3rd. He said you can't be too convinced by your own talent/greatness. You have to remember you're not that good. I think Zverev needs to stop being convinced by his own talent, do the work, and find ways to win if the serve isn't working. I suspect he suffers from a surfeit of pride.

His serve at the present time is his achilles heel,even at this tournament he has served 31 DFs, in 3 matches,though he is pretty good at smashing his racquet's.,to me he has never had a good mindset.I wonder what Boris Becker thought of his antics at the ATP Cup? I thought at one time he may offer his coaching services to Zverev.I have never been a fan of Zverev.,to me he is overrated.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm wondering if anyone else has an opinion on this tournament, so far. Granted, I've watched very little, since it's in Oz, and I'm saving my sleepless nights for the AO, but it seems really drawn out without much result, up to now. I even played the ATP challenge for it, but I'm still waiting to see if any of my picks play out. That is to say, it's not inspiring a lot of drama. I wonder what our friends in Australia think, especially, who may have more opportunity to watch matches. To me, thus far, I'd say I'd put it behind DC and Laver Cup, in terms of fun and drama. Opinions?
I think the tournament is working well, more or less same format like new Davis Cup, but what they did to Davis Cup for me is unacceptable (I like the tradition), while for the ATP Cup it makes more sense to have tournament like this especially at this time of the year. Yesterday Serbia beat France in doubles against the odds. Greece lost heartbreaking doubles match 15:13 I think in TB. There were some good matches so far and most of the top players are here.

I am sure knockout stage is going to be more interesting. It's a good warm up for AO for everyone. I don't see reasons why this tournament won't be a success. As I said, for me it makes more sense than the new Davis Cup. I wouldn't put Laver Cup in the same conversation, I don't feel that tournament at all.

In any case it's hard to follow tennis from down under due to time difference. At least in Europe we can always watch evening session when we wake up and the final of the AO is also in normal morning hours for us.

Reactions: Bonaca and Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev is a wreck at the moment. I don't know what is his issues with a father and what kind of relationship is there, but Zverev is clearly under a lot of pressure and he has no ways to deal with it.

Another problem for Zverev is that he thinks to high of himself and when he has become like sort of a star, it is as he tought that no one else from the next gen is going to hunt him and even become better and that is exactly what is happening. He is stagnating ever since winning YEC and the others like Daniil and Tsitsipas overpassed him in every way. So he found himslef in a hole he needs to get out of. Maybe he will never even win a single slam, who knows.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And out of nowhere, however Norway finishes up, Casper Ruud seems to be making a good show of himself.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev is a wreck at the moment. I don't know what is his issues with a father and what kind of relationship is there, but Zverev is clearly under a lot of pressure and he has no ways to deal with it.

Another problem for Zverev is that he thinks to high of himself and when he has become like sort of a star, it is as he tought that no one else from the next gen is going to hunt him and even become better and that is exactly what is happening. He is stagnating ever since winning YEC and the others like Daniil and Tsitsipas overpassed him in every way. So he found himslef in a hole he needs to get out of. Maybe he will never even win a single slam, who knows.
This what I said above...that Zverev needs to get over his superstar status and remember how to play the tennis that got him there. I think he's ambitious, but he needs to figure himself out.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have enjoyed watching Casper Rudd in this ATP Cup,has a lot of upside to his game.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Team changes Australia to play Greece tonight.

Alex Deminaur to be rested.John Millman to play Michail Pervolarakis

Nick Kyrgios to play Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Admittedly not the Majors winning career many predicted for Monfils When he was the top junior but taking a glass half full approach:

Gael’s had a career spanning 14 + years(and counting ) and he’s ranked in the top 9 even now at the ripe old age of 33, with career earnings approaching 18 million. Never boring and with a flair that is a hell of an entertaining show.

Can think of worse fates.

Reactions: Moxie and Bonaca

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This what I said above...that Zverev needs to get over his superstar status and remember how to play the tennis that got him there. I think he's ambitious, but he needs to figure himself out.
I can’t believe rafa lost to him at wTF...Rafa blew a huge opportunity to win that end of the year tourney.

Reactions: Moxie

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I can’t believe rafa lost to him at wTF...Rafa blew a huge opportunity to win that end of the year tourney.
Giraffe has clearly more talent than he is showing right now. In London he played huge, and surface speed suits his game. Nadal had no chance.
I cant believe how Daniil let him of the hook.
In the end i think Tsitsipussy was a deserved winner. Thx god he beat that austrian ****!!!!

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Did Kyrgios really come to Serbia - France doubles match only to cheer against Novak and all this at midnight?

This a quote from some serbian fan that was close to Nick:

“This moron and his group of thug mates dressed in black turned up, sat in eye view of Nole and blatantly stood up and cheered and sniggered at Serbia’s errors. What an idiot!” the post reads.

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but they are using VAR technology during this ATP Cup. Is this just a trial or is going to be everywhere?

Also Novak had a medical timeout during doubles match due to "tired" elbow. Also according to reports he looked as pissed as ever. I don't know if it is all due to how much he wants his team to do well in this competition or also his health not being 100%, but then again if he wasn't 100% I don't think he would be playing this event at all.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I read that too and saw a small video, but i dont know what this was exactly about.
If truth i would teach this greek moron how to behave near to me. What a pleasure that would be.

I dont think its something serious with Novaks elbow, but his game didnt look good overall , like almost whole of 2019.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Another one.....this is incredible!