ATP Cup, Australia

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gaël Monfils is a much better human being than Djokovic so I hope that somehow he manages to win. Hopefully Novak won’t throw/smash a racket that could possibly land on some innocent ball kid.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Some think there is a component of mental disorder, but "bipolar" is a specific thing and I don't think we can diagnose that from watching on TV. That's all I'm saying.
I understand..thanks Moxie

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You should go, it's a beautiful island, but you'll need a car...it's big! :D
Awesome. Will do...Do you think if I can secure maybe a luncheon with Toni and Rafa that I can convince DarthFed to join me.. jajaja

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gaël Monfils is a much better human being than Djokovic so I hope that somehow he manages to win. Hopefully Novak won’t throw/smash a racket that could possibly land on some innocent ball kid.
How in the world do you know that Monfils is a better person than Djokovic? That's unknowable.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In case there was any doubts about Medvedev coming into the new season after some losses at the end of the last, he just silenced all with incredible performance against Isner. Isner was not serving his best, but Medvedev was able to return many of those serves and break him several times. He made 2 unforced errors the whole match. That's crazy.

Reactions: Bonaca

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In case there was any doubts about Medvedev coming into the new season after some losses at the end of the last, he just silenced all with incredible performance against Isner. Isner was not serving his best, but Medvedev was able to return many of those serves and break him several times. He made 2 unforced errors the whole match. That's crazy.
Did he silence them? Isner? Let's face it. He is a shining star, and the one we have our eyes on, for sure, probably with Tsitstipas. But he still has more to prove, and I don't think beating Isner silences all questions, however convincingly he beat him. I'm not a detractor, just holding out a bit before the full bandwagon. :)

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Did he silence them? Isner? Let's face it. He is a shining star, and the one we have our eyes on, for sure, probably with Tsitstipas. But he still has more to prove, and I don't think beating Isner silences all questions, however convincingly he beat him. I'm not a detractor, just holding out a bit before the full bandwagon. :)
Fair enough. Still Medvedev was very impressive in his victory and it doesn't have to be big3 on another side of the court to see that his level of play is quite high. Tsitsipas is playing on a high level too at the moment. Thiem has work to do from what I've seen against Coric, perhaps he will improve, but seems most vulnerable of these 3 guys.

Reactions: Bonaca

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fair enough. Still Medvedev was very impressive in his victory and it doesn't have to be big3 on another side of the court to see that his level of play is quite high. Tsitsipas is playing on a high level too at the moment. Thiem has work to do from what I've seen against Coric, perhaps he will improve, but seems most vulnerable of these 3 guys.
Medvedev had a very impressive summer and early fall. I'm perfectly willing to think he's the nearly next-big-thing. But I'm not willing to believe in the 2nd coming for tennis based on short-term results. Thiem looked amazing at the YEC, until he lost in the final. Tsitsipas has real chops, but consistency is still an issue. I'll take your report from the front that Medvedev is looking really solid, and hope that he maintains it, going forward. He's the guy we're all curious about in 2020. But he's got head issues, so we'll just see.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa plays Cuevas later...that could be good. Djokovic has Monfils, but the H2H is 15-0 in favor of Novak.
monfils should be ashamed of himself letting Novak just totally outclassed him over his entire career

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
monfils should be ashamed of himself letting Novak just totally outclassed him over his entire career

i still remember their first ATP match at the USO in 05 emerging as promising Juniors to the pro ranks, it was a tight five set match.

Funny thing is of their 12 3 set matches 8 have gone the full 3 sets, including several to 7-6.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
i still remember their first ATP match at the USO in 05 emerging as promising Juniors to the pro ranks, it was a tight five set match.

Funny thing is of their 12 3 set matches 8 have gone the full 3 sets, including several to 7-6.
Thanks and that's my point..i remember that match just like it was yesterday..Gael was winning the match, Novak.called for a medical timeout for I think cramps..he took about 30 minutes.. totally put Gael game on ice and their history has never changed since

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks and that's my point..i remember that match just like it was yesterday..Gael was winning the match, Novak.called for a medical timeout for I think cramps..he took about 30 minutes.. totally put Gael game on ice and their history has never changed since
Is it actually possible that he was allowed to stop play for 30 minutes? That doesn't sound right.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Is it actually possible that he was allowed to stop play for 30 minutes? That doesn't sound right.
Trust me at happened. That's why they had enforcement of cramping not considered or classified as a medical timeout..check with Tented or El Dude ..they may recall the match and Novak's theatrics..maybe Fiero's memory recalls what occurred

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What do you think about this point? it's supposedly they have to wait that the ball goes to their side before to hit the ball, correctly?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It felt like 30 mins consecutive
I figured it may have, but I don't think it really could have been. Interesting, though, is that Djokovic admits to lack of fitness, esp. compared to Gael, and yet he used to rules to make up for it. I wonder if the rules are different know from what they were then.