ATP Cup, Australia

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's British slang for running around and being mad busy.
That's it?? Why blue-arsed? I was hoping for more of an explanation. I thought a blue-eyed fly might have to run around because all of the other flies would want to mate with it. OK, I guess I was right in the end, though...it just sounds really funny. Good expression, however nonsensical. Seussical.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's it?? Why blue-arsed? I was hoping for more of an explanation. I thought a blue-eyed fly might have to run around because all of the other flies would want to mate with it. OK, I guess I was right in the end, though...it just sounds really funny. Good expression, however nonsensical. Seussical.
Buzzing around like a bluebottle. Yeah, some slang is pretty funny. Cockney rhyming slang is particularly funny. Not all slang is transferrable between Aussies and Brits though... Thongs have a totally different meaning!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Buzzing around like a bluebottle. Yeah, some slang is pretty funny. Cockney rhyming slang is particularly funny. Not all slang is transferrable between Aussies and Brits though... Thongs have a totally different meaning!
Thongs? Curiosity piqued. I have one friend that says she's waiting for the Cockney headline: Baked Bean Brown Bread...not sure that woman will ever die, though.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I's happening with all the languages, we also have slang in Spanish, depending the country like Central and S. American they use different words with different meanings than us. The cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans probably are the worst, sometimes is difficult to understand them

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thongs? Curiosity piqued. I have one friend that says she's waiting for the Cockney headline: Baked Bean Brown Bread...not sure that woman will ever die, though.
Thongs in Australia are what Brits would call Flip Flops. A thong to a Brit would mean G-String.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thongs in Australia are what Brits would call Flip Flops. A thong to a Brit would mean G-String.
Funny, because we do use both. When I was a kid, a flip-flop could be a thong. Now it would only be understood as a G-string. Same concept. ;)

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I's happening with all the languages, we also have slang in Spanish, depending the country like Central and S. American they use different words with different meanings than us. The cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans probably are the worst, sometimes is difficult to understand them
Absolutely! I wish they'd all buy an "S." (They tend to drop them.) I learned so many weird words when I was working in Puerto Rico. And I can barely communicate with Cubans. (That's not true, but still...their isolation has made their dialect a bit extreme.) Also funny note: the word we use so frequently in Castilian Spanish, "coger" (to take, catch), as in take a cab, means "to fuck" in Argentina. Leads to some awkward conversations.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Absolutely! I wish they'd all buy an "S." (They tend to drop them.) I learned so many weird words when I was working in Puerto Rico. And I can barely communicate with Cubans. (That's not true, but still...their isolation has made their dialect a bit extreme.) Also funny note: the word we use so frequently in Castilian Spanish, "coger" (to take, catch), as in take a cab, means "to fuck" in Argentina. Leads to some awkward conversations.

How different is Catalan to Castilian Spanish?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How different is Catalan to Castilian Spanish?
I find it comprehensible, to a large extent. It's roots are in medieval Occitaine, as well as Spanish, so a relative to southern French. I use my (limited) French when I listen to Catalan, as much as Spanish. I have read that Catalan is not intelligible to Castilian speakers, but I find that impossible to believe. When it's Rafa or Toni (or the news) talking about tennis, I can get about 80-90%, because I know what they're talking about. If I'm trying to follow a political discussion, it drops to more like 60% or less, especially because the jargon is so different, and I'm less previously informed as to what they're telling me. It's a hugely political point as to whether Catalan is a dialect or a separate language. All I can say is that, if you speak Spanish, you can understand a fair amount of Catalan. What I don't know is the fine points of the grammatical differences. Also, there are dialects within Catalan. Valencia has it's own, and so does Mallorca. Rafa speaks the variation called Mallorquín.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^I have limited knowledge of Spanish but I am fluent in Portuguese (mother tongue) and Italian, and I find it easier to read in Catalan than in Spanish. To understand it spoken is a whole other matter though -- and in that department I understand Spanish way better. Something on the structure of the language makes it really easy for me to read it... I remember that in all museums in Barcelona I was always reading the Catalan entries (of course I could read the English ones way better but I was having fun, anyway it was a better option than Spanish).

I can also identify people speaking Catalan from miles away -- don't ask me how, as I heard it only a few times in my life.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
dull showing once again he's just a glorified claycourter. Slightly stronger BH and mowgli gets scared.

19-0. Can't even win a set bub?
x97YyMo.gif

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
dull showing once again he's just a glorified claycourter. Slightly stronger BH and mowgli gets scared.

19-0. Can't even win a set bub?
x97YyMo.gif

Djokovic has the highest ranked BH over the last several years. Minimizing that is a joke. "Slightly stronger?" This makes you a clown. As to making Nadal a "glorified claycourter," you demonstrate not only your trollishness, but your complete lack of understanding of tennis. Nadal hasn't just won Majors off-clay, he's done it beating the other 2 best of his era, multiple times. Nadal`s off-clay resume alone is a HOF career.

Reactions: Bonaca

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic has the highest ranked BH over the last several years. Minimizing that is a joke. "Slightly stronger?" This makes you a clown. As to making Nadal a "glorified claycourter," you demonstrate not only your trollishness, but your complete lack of understanding of tennis. Nadal hasn't just won Majors off-clay, he's done it beating the other 2 best of his era, multiple times. Nadal`s off-clay resume alone is a HOF career.
2Wimbledon titles 3Finalist ,5 US titles 1Finalist and 1 AO title 4Finalist

And you want to refer to the man as a glorified Clay courter

The Truth is , there can be an argument who is the greatest hardcourt or grasscourt player of all time . However on the clay, there's no discussion EVER

Reactions: Bonaca