• Nadal in five sets

• Federer in three sets

• Federer in four sets

• Federer in five sets

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That is surely the worst Fedal match of all times.
You love your irony, but it wasn't Roger's best moment in beating Rafa, given how many strokes were in his favor.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ok has owned Rafa since 2017, happy?

however in the scheme of things when we talk about 'owning', taking a set off the 'owner' on his best surface does not exclude it....Fed took sets off Nadal in his prime almost everywhere on clay including even two wins....when Nadal 'owned' him. I think your nit-picking non-important argument is quite puny, and logically incorrect.….but I am used to it.

also having a terrible year doesn't disqualify it, otherwise fans could excuse Fed's multiple terrible years even more justifiably so (being 5 years older), and put asterisks here and there. Realistically you have to admit Rafa and Novak both had huge advantage after 2012 as Fed struggled quite a bit for years before hanging up his racquet in 2016 and came back miraculously in 2017.
I'm nitpicking? You're talking about winning sets in Majors when Roger couldn't win matches v. Nadal. It was 10 years before he beat him again at a Major. And came back "miraculously." (Your words.) You argue that he had multiple terrible years. But Nadal's bad year doesn't count? If you want to make a big issue out of him having a great run v. Nadal, that's fine. but the "owning" has been mostly from Nadal, and we are back on clay.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is a link to a short interview by Federer after he thrashed Andy Murray in the 2014 World Tour Final .

As he says in that interview, Fed considered drop shot as a panic shot and did not have respect for it and did not use it. He started using from 2009 only. In this interview, which was done in Nov. 2014 he says that now he is able to effectively use it (although he does not say since when he is able to effectively use it).

At any rate the drop shot is going to be definitely another weapon, which he did not have access to in the first four losses to Ralph at RG from 2005 to 2008.

So, there are at least four new things this time: Bigger Racquet, Drive Backhand, Dropshot, SABR.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So I'm guessing he won't go for the underhanded serve, then, considering it a cheap shot.

Reactions: Bonaca

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So I'm guessing he won't go for the underhanded serve, then, considering it a cheap shot.

Although I would strongly advise him to do so, I strongly think he will not indulge in it even once. It will take him quite a bit of convincng and time before he accepts it is legitimate and useful. However, I have not heard Fed ever talk about underhanded serves one way or other in any interviews.

p.s. Also, I don't think he will use SABR either.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Although I would strongly advise him to do so, I strongly think he will not indulge in it even once. It will take him quite a bit of convincng and time before he accepts it is legitimate and useful. However, I have not heard Fed ever talk about underhanded serves one way or other in any interviews.

p.s. Also, I don't think he will use SABR either.
He's been too derisive of cheap shots over his career, to use the underhand serve. He may try the SABR, but at his peril. He knows he get passed mercilessly by Rafa. But I do think he'll mix it up, so I expect some SABR.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, as many commentators have stated, Fed has been embracing the drop shot in recent years. My question, though...is the drop shot a "cheap" or "panic" shot, when used correctly? I've only seen it as a clever tactic, when used well. When it's a bail-out shot, it definitely works less-well.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Also, as many commentators have stated, Fed has been embracing the drop shot in recent years. My question, though...is the drop shot a "cheap" or "panic" shot, when used correctly? I've only seen it as a clever tactic, when used well. When it's a bail-out shot, it definitely works less-well.

I always remember what McEnroe once said about drop shots: “If it works, you’re a genius. If it doesn’t, you’re an idiot.”

Reactions: mrzz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I always remember what McEnroe once said about drop shots: “If it works, you’re a genius. If it doesn’t, you’re an idiot.”
Which is a good quote, and true. But I don't understand this conversation about Roger's relationship to the drop shot. I always thought it was a legitimate tool in the bag.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Which is a good quote, and true. But I don't understand this conversation about Roger's relationship to the drop shot. I always thought it was a legitimate tool in the bag.

Roger's idea (before 2009) was that you indulge in drop shot when you cannot hang in the rally and win the point. That was the connotation of the "panic shot". However, his thinking has evolved over the years and now he recognizes (and uses it himself effectively) it is a weapon when used properly at the right time and intentionally (and not just because you feel you cannot hang in the rally).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing I will correct is that Fed has "owned" Rafa since 2015. The matches that Roger in 4 times in a row, with his new approach, were from 2017. The one previous win in 2015 came in Basel, in the final, when Rafa was having a terrible year, and still took a set off of Roger, indoors, and on his home turf. Personally, I wouldn't count that one as "owning" Nadal.

Speaking of terrible years, Federer had 4 horrendous losses to Nadal in 2013 which is all too easily forgotten by the Nadal fans. He played that whole year with a bad back which was stupid. The loss at the WTF says it all.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Really impressed with the level of all four players that made the semi. Should be two great semis even though the Fedal one is not going to be that competitive.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
You love your irony, but it wasn't Roger's best moment in beating Rafa, given how many strokes were in his favor.

There is irony there, but I really think that is their worst match, and by far.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
About the drop shot, it is a clever tactic in itself, but it is also true that is used by players which are panicking.

Reactions: Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
About the drop shot, it is a clever tactic in itself, but it is also true that is used by players which are panicking.
By certain players. Those who are very good at it, they use it wisely and not because they panicked.

Reactions: mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
By certain players. Those who are very good at it, they use it wisely and not because they panicked.

Precisely. One thing does not exclude the other. Actually, even a player who routinely uses it wisely can use it out of panic once in a while. In general, poor execution coupled with bad timing are the symptoms of a panic shot. My point is that is never the shot itself, but the context.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Funny, I didn't hear similar things when Nadal barely beat Roger at Cincy in 2013 when Fed lost to everyone under the sun. Didn't hear the same at Wimbledon 08 either when Roger was pretty awful most of the year...

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Drop shot is a part of player's arsenal and if used wisely can be a real weapon. I remember Santoro and his killer drop shots.

I can't open the forum in tapatalk. Someone else experienced the same?

Reactions: Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Drop shot is a part of player's arsenal and if used wisely can be a real weapon. I remember Santoro and his killer drop shots.

I can't open the forum in tapatalk. Someone else experienced the same?
It works for me.

Enviado de meu XT1032 usando o Tapatalk