Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Novak in five

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Just woke up to see the score. Script followed I guess but I did not expect such one sided sets to start the match. I am guessing some great Nole and some sucky Fed?

Up to 6-1, 5-1 Nole was clinical.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Can't believe how many people voted for Fed in 4. They must not have been paying attention. All that Simon match did was focus Novak. After that it was going to be a race to the slaughter.

In my case it was simple: It was the result I wanted. As I said upthread, I thought Novak would win it in four, but voted with my heart. It really is that simple - it has nothing to do with whether or not I was paying attention or how I feel about Novak (I have nothing against him, especially since he's stopped the ridiculous shirt ripping).

Puppet Master said:
Nothing is ok, El Dude. 6-1 6-2? I think that THE #1 felt sorry for the poor little "goat" so he let him have that third set. I didn't watch the match so I don't know what happened, but these last few matches really changed my opinion of both Roger and Rafael, regardless of their situation, form etc. I am simply not into tennis anymore. When I do watch matches of my "faves" all I do is yell at the TV. Can't take it anymore. :mad:

I feel your pain. My point is simply that it is the inevitable way of things. Two or three years from now, Novak fans will be in our shoes. No one remains on top forever, and Roger hasn't really been on top since 2007, or maybe 2009 if you want to be kind.

Also, don't forget about the age differential. I am reminded of Connors and McEnroe, who were about 6.5 years apart to Roger-Novak's 5.5 years. Connors dominated at first, winning six of their first seven matches, but then Mac took over and ended up winning the H2H 20-14, including 11 matches in a row from 1983-86 when he was still in his prime and Connors was an old man.

Roger was the better player through 2010. We all know what happened in 2011 -- Novak raised his game a level and became the dominant player in the sport (with the exception of Rafa's surge in 2013). From 2011 to now, Novak has been the better player.

It is just the way of things.

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
Nothing is ok, El Dude. 6-1 6-2? I think that THE #1 felt sorry for the poor little "goat" so he let him have that third set. I didn't watch the match so I don't know what happened, but these last few matches really changed my opinion of both Roger and Rafael, regardless of their situation, form etc. I am simply not into tennis anymore. When I do watch matches of my "faves" all I do is yell at the TV. Can't take it anymore. :mad:

I too used think that way. That's not putting it into perspective. Federer bagelled him in a a 3 setter not too long back. It comes down to confidence and swinging freely. Giles 'journeyman' Simon took Novak to 5 day before yesterday. Why? Because he had nothing to lose and it was his last match.

We all know Roger has his blind spots. He never learnt to get into a dogfight and win big matches. He pre-game strategy and player specific strategy have always has had their huge holes. Of course there is the minor detail that he is 34 now. The best players in the world have been teaming up with elite coaches who themselves have made it their life's mission to destroy Federer... for what... a decade now? The guy has had to play with a target on his back all his life. Have you ever heard him complain about that?

I still cannot imagine that Novak and Rafa would have become the players they became without the existence of a tennis player called Roger Federer. I would love to hear anyone make a dispassionate case against that last statement.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
well good thing i didnt stay up to watch that. at this point in his life i doubt fed will ever beat djoker n a slam. with the level he played berdych i think he can win a slam just that djoker cant be in his way. so sad :(

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was one who went against my head and go to for fatter $.24 if for no other reason then but I figured Novak was due to have a less than stellar performance and a big match against Roger. I also thought that meeting Novak enough times over the last couple years should result in Roger winning one of those once in a while. I was one who went against my head and go to for fetter too and four cents if for no other reason than that I figured Novak was due to have a less than stellar performance and a big match against Roger. I also thought that meeting Novak enough times over the last couple years should result Roger winning one of those once in a while. But I am no way anticipated the level of play Novak displayed in the first two sets. I've never seen anyone be fair like that on any surface, not even rougher and the 2008 French Open, which turned into a route to this not only rough is excellent play, but fetters insane charging the net and leaving himself but easy open passing shots and pushing on but I am no way anticipated the level of play Novak displayed on the first two sets. I have never seen anyone be fair like that on a hard court. Federal has won the most majors on Harcourt and the most hard-core tournaments in history. He was completely flummoxed by the level of Novak in those first two sets. I do not think anyone is ever beat Roger like that. But Roger fought hard and the third sudden got away with it, which naturally coincided with a bit of a drop from Novak. Before seven as well contest until the chemo moment, with nova come up with an incredible shot to give them the right point. You may recall he had a passing shut the script off the top of the net and passed Roger. Somethings went well for Novak, but it was clearly a level that he has not been up there in this fortnight. He was "on" in a big way from the get-go. Congratulations to him , As I think he hoists his sixth trophy in Melbourne this weekend.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
crystalfire said:
well good thing i didnt stay up to watch that. at this point in his life i doubt fed will ever beat djoker n a slam. with the level he played berdych i think he can win a slam just that djoker cant be in his way. so sad :(

He played really well when/where he was allowed to. Novak just smothered him. He's still better quality tennis than the rest of them out there - including Murray. Muzza only got the #2 ranking due to Fed limiting his schedule last year.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
In a way what we're seeing on the men's side is similiar to the women's: you've got one player who is just that much better than everyone else. Not unlike 2004-07, actually. Of course the gap isn't quite as large in men's tennis; Roger, Stan, and Andy are all closer to Novak than any women are to Serena, although unlike Serena, Novak doesn't seem to have off days anymore - at least not since 2014.

But I do agree with the narrative that the gap in ability between Novak and Roger isn't as large as their Slam results entail, as we can see by their more even performance in non-Slams. A lot of it is mental. When the stakes aren't as high, Roger can hold his own against Novak. But when the stakes really matter, Roger just can't perform when he's faced with an equal or better player.

We saw something similar with Rafa. In other words, I think we can retro-actively say that part of Roger's "match-up problem" with Rafa wasn't only that their games didn't align well, but that Roger couldn't handle having a peer, or a close peer.

With Novak and Roger, clearly Novak is a better player, but not vastly better. Simply on paper, Roger should be able to win 30-40% of their matches. But Novak just dominates him mentally. Just like Rafa did.

It is sad in that despite Roger's brilliance, he has this glaring flaw that we've only really seen in the second half of his career. But on the other hand, it does make him more interesting - it gives him tone and texture.

When I was a kid, I found Lancelot far more interesting than Galahad.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not surprising really. Roger would need a lot to go his way to have a chance as Djokovic is too strong on these surfaces. Moreover, Nole has a lot of confidence in this matchup after the easy slam wins last year on surfaces that are more geared for Roger. Now that problem will only be worse for Roger going forward.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
You can't blame it on age, slow courts etc. if you are hitting like a pussy. It's as simple as that. My brother almost forced me to watch the highlights, and the people saying that Roger's opponent was goating is simply a blatant lie. Sure he played on a high level and returned like a madman, but this shouldn't have been that much of a problem. Someone probably put the thought in Fed's head, hey you are in great shape, just rally with him and you're good. He started taking bigger cuts at the ball being 2 sets down, when he was feeling embarrassed and out of frustration, so he routinely lost the next set.
If mister #1 was on such a god like level why didn't he beat Simon in three? Why did he allow Kei to break him an X number of times instead of closing out the match? No disrespect, he still played awesome, but would have lost to someone who wasn't scared shitless.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ You're just a hater, lol. I know the symptoms, I used to be irrational like that watching Nadal and refusing to give him any credit. Some say I still give him a lack of credit when it comes to his talent level.

On slow/medium paced hard courts, especially at the Australian Open, Djokovic is by far the best player there's been. He is going to extend his Open Era record to 6 on Sunday. Age didn't really matter today because Roger of any age would struggle to beat Nole on this surface. If he was younger it'd be more competitive sure but Novak would win the majority on slow/medium hards.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
You can't blame it on age, slow courts etc. if you are hitting like a $&%@. It's as simple as that. My brother almost forced me to watch the highlights, and the people saying that Roger's opponent was goating is simply a blatant lie. Sure he played on a high level and returned like a madman, but this shouldn't have been that much of a problem. Someone probably put the thought in Fed's head, hey you are in great shape, just rally with him and you're good. He started taking bigger cuts at the ball being 2 sets down, when he was feeling embarrassed and out of frustration, so he routinely lost the next set.
If mister #1 was on such a god like level why didn't he beat Simon in three? Why did he allow Kei to break him an X number of times instead of closing out the match? No disrespect, he still played awesome, but would have lost to someone who wasn't scared shitless.

Your emotions are getting the better of you: you need to sit down.

I remember one year Sampras won Oz, he struggled against Alberto Costa in five sets along the way, but when the money was on the table, he routinely dispatched his opponents in the semis and final. Borg used to have hairy five-set struggles in the early rounds of Wimbo, only to improve as the event progressed.

This is the normal way of things, especially in GS tennis, which requires patience and stamina. Nole is playing his best when he needs to, and he's peaking at the right time...

19USC66

Club Member
Reactions
nehmeth said:
crystalfire said:

He played really well when/where he was allowed to. Novak just smothered him. He's still better quality tennis than the rest of them out there - including Murray. Muzza only got the #2 ranking due to Fed limiting his schedule last year.

nehmeth,

Sent you a PM.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
In a way what we're seeing on the men's side is similiar to the women's: you've got one player who is just that much better than everyone else. Not unlike 2004-07, actually. Of course the gap isn't quite as large in men's tennis; Roger, Stan, and Andy are all closer to Novak than any women are to Serena, although unlike Serena, Novak doesn't seem to have off days anymore - at least not since 2014.

But I do agree with the narrative that the gap in ability between Novak and Roger isn't as large as their Slam results entail, as we can see by their more even performance in non-Slams. A lot of it is mental. When the stakes aren't as high, Roger can hold his own against Novak. But when the stakes really matter, Roger just can't perform when he's faced with an equal or better player.

We saw something similar with Rafa. In other words, I think we can retro-actively say that part of Roger's "match-up problem" with Rafa wasn't only that their games didn't align well, but that Roger couldn't handle having a peer, or a close peer.

With Novak and Roger, clearly Novak is a better player, but not vastly better. Simply on paper, Roger should be able to win 30-40% of their matches. But Novak just dominates him mentally. Just like Rafa did.

It is sad in that despite Roger's brilliance, he has this glaring flaw that we've only really seen in the second half of his career. But on the other hand, it does make him more interesting - it gives him tone and texture.

When I was a kid, I found Lancelot far more interesting than Galahad.

Very well said, and it's the jist of what I've said for years regarding Roger. Only I get more frustrated and put it in harsher language. There are many aspects of mental toughness though, and in most of those Roger is through the roof. What he's doing mentally on a week in-week out basis at age 34 despite having a ton of records and a wife and 4 kids is impressive in and of itself. He stays focused and he stays CONFIDENT in his abilities. He still feels superior at age 34 and still has the belief that Rafa appears to be lacking at just age 29.

The one he struggles is the big moments in the big matches against fellow great players. As amazing as he is you won't see guys like Nole and Rafa blow multiple match points in GS semis, simply won't happen. His fifth set record in GS semis and finals is perhaps the worst number of his career, even worse than 11-23 vs. Nadal. But no one is perfect.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Too late to get in the discussion right now, but, trying to see it rationally, Djokovic really played very well, it is true, but Federer was abysmal in the first two sets. The serve was terrible, UFE's high, etc and etc.

I disagree with the ones who say that this was obviously going to happen, and I give a shot to the other finalist, whoever he is. Djokovic is playing great for sure, but I do not think he looks unbeatable.

We could be in for a little more drama (and probably even worse headaches for us Federer fans) if that ball at 30 all in the seventh game of the third set had not touched the net.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AkPOJnPS_w[/video]

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
You can't blame it on age, slow courts etc. if you are hitting like a $&%@. It's as simple as that. My brother almost forced me to watch the highlights, and the people saying that Roger's opponent was goating is simply a blatant lie. Sure he played on a high level and returned like a madman, but this shouldn't have been that much of a problem. Someone probably put the thought in Fed's head, hey you are in great shape, just rally with him and you're good. He started taking bigger cuts at the ball being 2 sets down, when he was feeling embarrassed and out of frustration, so he routinely lost the next set.

I agree in one way, Roger looks to be in great shape but he seems that when someone give him a hard time his confidence goes down giving a good chance to his opponent and more if this last one has now the confidence at his best

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
crystalfire said:

Hmmmm, I don't see too much difference of quantity of matches between Muzz and Roger, but then also we could say that they got those rankings thanks to Rafa's injuries and later his horrible lack of confidence .....to each his own theme :dodgy:

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
FACTOID: Novak now lead Fed 23-22 in H2H. This is the first time ever that Novak leads in this H2H.

Moreover, he leads Rafa 24-23 now. Both of these H2H will only become better for Novak in the next few years.

Well uhh..I think that H2H with Rafa might be frozen in time since I'm pressed to see where Rafa's going to be meeting Nole anytime soon. Just keeping it real:dodgy:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
pavlik89 said:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AkPOJnPS_w[/video]

Thanks for the videos, Pavlik! Since this match occurred in the middle of the night for everyone in North America, your videos are particularly helpful and appreciated.