Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Novak in five

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I think Roger will have to wait Nole out to win his next slam...and he might just do that! :snicker
:snicker

In the legends event, my friend. he is a true legend if there ever was one.
;)

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Well in all honesty Roger did play terribly bad. It's one thing when Nole plays too well (and believe me he does often) but last night was different. Being in pacific time zone i was ready for an all nighter. But i could sense it going wrong right from the toss. Roger won and chose to receive (he was out of his mind) and then he got broken at 15 in first game. He cud not land first serves in, was overcooking the points all the time. I would give more credit to Nole if this has happened after few games. But no, Roger was pathetic from the get go and ofcourse its Novak he will capitalize. It was abysmal..i went to bed at 1-6, 1-5

BratSrbin

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
ftan said:
Well in all honesty Roger did play terribly bad. It's one thing when Nole plays too well (and believe me he does often) but last night was different. Being in pacific time zone i was ready for an all nighter. But i could sense it going wrong right from the toss. Roger won and chose to receive (he was out of his mind) and then he got broken at 15 in first game. He cud not land first serves in, was overcooking the points all the time. I would give more credit to Nole if this has happened after few games. But no, Roger was pathetic from the get go and ofcourse its Novak he will capitalize. It was abysmal..i went to bed at 1-6, 1-5

Roger bad!? No, I think No1e was more than excellent in first two sets. Roger had nothing to do about that.

Maybe it is better to have a dream.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BratSrbin said:
ftan said:

Roger bad!? No, I think No1e was more than excellent in first two sets. Roger had nothing to do about that.

Maybe it is better to have a dream.

I would say the first two sets was a combo of both. I am sick today, so I got to avoid working, and just finished watching the match. Roger could have played better (and he did in the third set, as Novak's level dropped a bit), but Novak also forced him to go for a lot, and was great on his own offense.

This was by no means a terrible or low quality match, but it was not a classic either.

Oh yeah, NOLE NOLE NOLE.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
ftan said:
Well in all honesty Roger did play terribly bad....

This is the same thing folks have been saying since at least Wimbledon last year. At some point it is time to accept that Novak is just better than him and/or has his number. I think 2014 Wimbledon was the last Slam match where it felt like Roger could really win it, but even then Novak had a strong edge and Roger was making a miracle run of it by pushing it to five sets.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The best shot by Novak in the match was when he passes Federer with passing shot that makes on full stretch off a very very good approach shot by Fed. It happened more than once, but the one at the end of first set was very good.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
ftan said:

This is the same thing folks have been saying since at least Wimbledon last year. At some point it is time to accept that Novak is just better than him and/or has his number. I think 2014 Wimbledon was the last Slam match where it felt like Roger could really win it, but even then Novak had a strong edge and Roger was making a miracle run of it by pushing it to five sets.

People had unrealistic expectations today if they thought Federer had a chance. Wimbledon and even USO is a different story. He still has hope there if he has a big time performance, but at the end of the day Novak is flat out better and in a best of 5 Roger has to win in a quick 3 or 4 sets. Realistically Roger is probably done, I think he is just a good player, not a great one, at this point. He's great for his age but then he was great for his age at 21-33 too...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I will be rooting for Murray in the SF and in case he wins it, will be rooting for him again in F (not to be confused with predicting him to win).

The only rooting Murray deserves is a root canal to remove those fangs :snicker

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
El Dude said:
ftan said:

People had unrealistic expectations today if they thought Federer had a chance. Wimbledon and even USO is a different story. He still has hope there if he has a big time performance, but at the end of the day Novak is flat out better and in a best of 5 Roger has to win in a quick 3 or 4 sets. Realistically Roger is probably done, I think he is just a good player, not a great one, at this point. He's great for his age but then he was great for his age at 21-33 too...

Novak is not going to be winning every match that he plays in a big tourney. One of these days (I mean within this year), he is sure to fall to a Simon or Anderson or some such fellow. In that event who do you think is going to exploit this situation. I bet it will be Roger. As much as Novak is superior to Roger at this time, Roger is superior to all others (except perhaps to a red hot Stan).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
El Dude said:
ftan said:

I wasn't in the camp of those expecting Federer to win and 3-1 to Djokovic was the predicted outcome for many. Bit shocked to say the least when I heard the scores at work for the first 2 sets and have yet to watch any real highlights but will do. Will be hoping Novak does the same or better to whoever he meets in the final which will be the first time I've had a chance to watch any of this tournament.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, I watched around 80% of Simon v Djokovic last weekend and maybe an hour or two in total of the rest. Just hope the final isn't a one sided dud.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Well I would really like you to see the match again, atleast the beginning.. it was all federer doing everything wrong and with Novak as ur opponent u cant do that. Novak is good, i never said he is not and he plays well. But Roger was pathetic, after the initial havoc the damage was done. I never thot Roger wud win, like everyone else i was prepared for a 3-1 Novak win, but wht happened in first 2 sets or atleast the first set was pathetic.. i didnt really watch it afterwards

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
ftan said:
Well I would really like you to see the match again, atleast the beginning.. it was all federer doing everything wrong and with Novak as ur opponent u cant do that. Novak is good, i never said he is not and he plays well. But Roger was pathetic, after the initial havoc the damage was done. I never thot Roger wud win, like everyone else i was prepared for a 3-1 Novak win, but wht happened in first 2 sets or atleast the first set was pathetic.. i didnt really watch it afterwards

Yeah, so glad I didn't take a day off or half day at work to watch that. Sounded pretty pathetic from the running commentary anyway but won't do what a certain poster does by commenting on it without even watching it first at least.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
I will be rooting for Murray in the SF and in case he wins it, will be rooting for him again in F (not to be confused with predicting him to win).

Irrelevant. Still married a model.
We know how this goes for athletes and billionaires, Front :snicker

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Frode789 said:
Double break in second set as well..

Nole has an early dinner reservation w/ the Mrs. and Boris! He is "smoking" Roger like a Cuba Libre! :eyepop :nono :cover

Don't you mean a Cuban cigar? A Cuba Libre is a drink :D

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
golds girl said:
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Irrelevant. Still married a model.
We know how this goes for athletes and billionaires, Front :snicker

Didn't even know she was a model. She's nothing special imo. Very girl next door :p

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Fed holds twice in a row in 3rd set.

Backhand UFE: Fed 29, Novak 0.

What happened to all those whopping 100 UFE?

Unreal stat for Novak but hideous by Roger :nono

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Many thanks for the highlights, pavlik. Kinda weird viewing 'cos despite a lot of netted easy balls and over hit shots by Federer, he was actually hitting very clean, fast and rallying well tow to toe for much of those 2 first sets. The errors were just too much and at very inopportune moments. It actually didn't appear to be anywhere near as bad as I thought with the scoreline though. One thing I'll say is this: despite being 34 years old Federer's movement is still absolutely sublime and he's without doubt the 2nd best mover after Novak even now. Sure, Murray is faster as you'd expect with age but Federer just glides along the court way more naturally. Some fantastic shots even in the sets he lost dismally and some great shots by both guys throughout. Can't say I thought Novak was anything other than very solid and I've seen better from him but not worthy of the praise given imo. He claimed it was the best match he's played but yet that's clearly bs since he lost a set. Best I've seen from him remains to be the Doha final against Nadal and incidentally both he and Fed scored only 3 games each. Set 4 was disappointing after 3-3. Again the errors were at totally the wrong time and if he'd managed to win set 4 he would've still been fresh for a 5th 'cos the first 2 were over so quickly. Hoping for a good final and congrats to Novak for seriously cleaning his act up in the terms of his winner/error ratio for this match.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
DarthFed said:
El Dude said:

Novak is not going to be winning every match that he plays in a big tourney. One of these days (I mean within this year), he is sure to fall to a Simon or Anderson or some such fellow. In that event who do you think is going to exploit this situation. I bet it will be Roger. As much as Novak is superior to Roger at this time, Roger is superior to all others (except perhaps to a red hot Stan).

It's possible though it would surprise me if he slipped up and lost to one of those lightweights. The most likely loss he would have this year is at Wimbledon against Murray IMO. Murray does pretty well vs. Nole on fast surfaces but is no contest on slow/medium courts. I know Stan has beaten him in 2 majors but I just don't see it happening again if they meet.