WTA Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Super sad I missed Petkovic/Hsieh. Looks like it was a fantastic match. Good for Petkovic making the 3rd round. Barty probably too good right now. But... it's a chance for Petkovic. Dominant force Barty is not.

And then Puig with the 6-3 6-1 over Kasatkina! That actually surprises me a bit. I figured it'd go 3. Kasatkina definitely hasn't been great this year. Struggling to translate her wild game into wins. It's fantastic when it works. But it's not easy to control apparently. Puig peaking again. Definitely a chance for her against Swiatek who had the nice upset of Wang. Both Wang and Kasatkina would be the type of seeds that would be ripe for upsets. So not entirely surprising. I feel like Wang is a hard courter. And of course, can be fantastic as we've seen at the end of the season in Asia with her. But still struggles with top players and apparently not great on clay. Huge opportunity for young Swiatek now. Not even a year since her Wimbledon junior win she's got a real shot at the 4th round. Puig will have to be on top of her game.

Not surprised at all by Anisimova over Sabalenka. Second time we've seen that this year. Seems to have her number in their early meetings. We'll see if that becomes one of the top rivalries of the next 10 years or of their careers. Both looks to have bright futures despite Sabalenka's cool down since falling to Osaka at the US Open. Huge opportunity for Anisimova against Begu. Of course the opposite is also true. Tough losses for Muchova, Stosur and Cirstea. Fairly open quarter. One of Alexandrova, Bolsova, Begu, and Anisimova is going to the quarters. There's your surprise quarterfinalist for this year's French. All because Kvitova didn't pull out before the draw. Yeah they'll likely have to play Halep. But getting there is more than half the battle probably.

Sucks for Krunic and Tsurenko and Keys and Hon that they have to finish tomorrow. Paris ending their tennis day way too early in my book. But I'm sure they don't have a choice. Probably a city ordinance or something.

Fun day tomorrow.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Order of Play for Round 3 Friday, May 31, 2019
upload_2019-5-30_19-16-33.png

upload_2019-5-30_19-19-29.png

upload_2019-5-30_19-25-52.png

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mugu to defeat Svitolina....the RG 2016 champion needs this win,even though Elina leads their H2H,Elina did have a walkover in her previous match.....I am probably mad picking Mugu she has the tools to defeat Elina....

Pliskova has had 2 easy wins,though I feel Martic won't be such a easy opponent.Pliskova to win.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Martic takes the 1st set. Pliskova missing a bit too much and Martic is playing solid.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Somehow Mertens-Sevastova turned to be a popcorn match, great fight by both. Pleasure to watch.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
These 2 are still playing. Amazing match!

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sevastova saved 4 MPs so far, hit the bh down the line and cleared the line on the last one, down 8:9, now is 9:9. I don't want any of them to lose.

Reactions: tenisplayrla08

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Great win for Martic today. I wasn't sure she could pull it off. But. We all know Pliskova can just lose the script some days especially at the slams. I didn't see this one though.

Great hard fought win for Sevastova. Tough loss for Mertens. They both played really well. Was really close. Mertens had her chances. Sevastova saved a couple match points with Mertens serving first in the final set.

Muguruza looked like the champion she is today. Of course Svitolina has not had a good year or good clay season. Doesn't have much match play under her. But when Muguruza is on she's the better player anyways. And she looked hungry today. Very dangerous if she can keep it up. Served well. Was still broken. But served well. I was hoping for more of a match. But I'm not surprised Svitolina couldn't bring the goods. She'll be back. But might take a bit to build her confidence back up at this point. Had her knee taped. Not sure how much it's still bothering her. Got lucky Kozlova pulled out. Wasn't enough though.

Great win for Vondrousova! Didn't see it. But she's about the only one of the early upset picks I had that has done well. So I'm glad to see her do well. She'll play Sevastova. Sevastova is crafty and certainly has the goods to beat her. But it's still a big opportunity for Vondrousova. Sevastova certainly not a dominant force. And could still be tired from today's match come Sunday.

Reactions: don_fabio

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Sloane breaks again for 5-1. Looks good. Hercog hardly a tough opponent. Though she's no pushover. Has won a title this year. Stephens just playing really well right now. All business.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Of course as soon as I say that Sloane gives the break back. Hercog didn't even have to do much.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Sloane had triple set point. But Hercog served her way back to deuce. Got the hold. Good hold.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Muguruza looked like the champion she is today. Of course Svitolina has not had a good year or good clay season. Doesn't have much match play under her. But when Muguruza is on she's the better player anyways. And she looked hungry today. Very dangerous if she can keep it up.

I’m sorry I missed it. Muguruza can be thrilling.

Do you think she will beat Stephens (assuming Stephens pulls out the win)?

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I’m sorry I missed it. Muguruza can be thrilling.

Do you think she will beat Stephens (assuming Stephens pulls out the win)?

I love Stephens. She's great. I think she can win a lot more than she has. But Muguruza at her best MAY be better. They're both great on clay. So I'm not sure that will be the difference. I guess I was say I can see Muguruza playing so so or not good and Sloane winning easily. I can see Sloane playing poorly and Muguruza winning easily. And I can see Sloane playing well (though not amazing) and Muguruza winning in straight sets. But I don't think I can see Muguruza playing well and Sloane winning in straights. Unless it's like two tiebreaks. Muguruza just has that power advantage. We know Sloane has power. And can inject it into a point at will. But she doesn't use it point in and point out. And I don't think she can match Muguruza's power shot for shot, point after point. The way Sloane has played this year, while she's got a couple nice wins here and looks to be on her way to another, none of them were/are top players. Muguruza is a genuine future hall of famer who has just not played well in 2 years. We're talking about Osaka taking over for Serena now. But 2 years ago we were talking about Muguruza taking over for Serena. I have always hoped Sloane would take over for Serena or at least reach a slam count on par with Venus and Henin. But it does not look like Sloane will ever dominate. I can still see Muguruza dominating. I hate to say these things. Because I want to believe in Sloane above all else. But she hasn't exactly given me reason to.

I was definitely worried Sloane wouldn't come close to defending her final from last year. And Muguruza is just the player to end her run. I hope I'm wrong. But Muguruza, having not had great results for a while, is just seeded too low. So you get a match that should be a semi or final, or at least a quarter, in the fourth round. I think Sloane can win the match. They've split their two meetings. Both on hard courts. Both straight sets wins. But also both in each respective players bad period. Muguruza beat Sloane in 2015 when she was NOT playing well. And Sloane beat Muguruza in Miami last year on her way to the title. Muguruza was not playing well.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I had to record matches,

Just finished watching Martic v Pliskova....I knew Martic would be a tough opponent,great win for her

Thank you Garbine played well and deserved your win.

Osaka will retain her No1 ranking seeing Pliskova was beaten.Back to watching Rafa.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
And this BS right here is why Sloane always worries me and why I think Muguruza would probably win in the next round IF Sloane even gets there. Hercog is not terrible. And she upped her game. She deserves the set. But Sloane absolutely gave it away as well. Had NO business losing that set. Oy.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Going three sets as Sloane loss of concentration cost her the 2nd set,75 to Hercog.Sloane should have wrapped this up in straight setsSloane served for the match 5-4,she had 4MPs loses next 3 games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.