WTA Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bit surprised that Kia Kanepi is in the fourth rd,especially on clay.Kia has had a lot of injuries in her career,spent time off the tour with achilles problem.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Stephens d Hercog 63 57 64......not a very convincing win from the runner up at RG last year, Sloane wins on her 6th MP.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Results for Round 3 Day 6 - Friday, May 31, 2019
upload_2019-5-31_19-28-2.png

upload_2019-5-31_19-28-54.png

upload_2019-5-31_19-29-27.png

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Konta d Kuzmova with an easy straight sets win 62 61.Konta becomes the first British woman to make the 2nd week at RG...since 1983 when Jo Durie made the s/finals.

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Order of Play for Round 3 Saturday, June 1, 2019
upload_2019-5-31_19-21-49-png.2224

upload_2019-5-31_19-23-47-png.2225

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Popcorn matches for tomorrow:
Osaka/Siniakova
Serena/Kenin
Petko/Barty

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
So after Nishikori/Djere and Stephens/Hercog I was done today. So I completely missed Bencic get spanked and Konta win easily. Good win for Vekic. I knew Bencic wasn't gonna be good enough on clay to go deep. But I did think this match would be a tougher battle. I thought it'd be a 3 setter. And I thought Bencic would come through. Vekic has definitely been playing better and better and building some good results over the last year. After not living up to the hype when she first arrived on tour. Has some good wins over Sloane. And it feels like forever ago that Bertens pulled out sending Kuzmova up against Konta. But of course Konta took full advantage. Continues her nice run of form from Rome. Wasn't sure she'd be able to keep it up. But got a favorable draw and has done well with it so far. Now she'll have to face Vekic. I would again pick against Vekic in that one. But she's already surprised me once this week. Both ladies would relish a match up with Sloane. And both would probably relish a match up with Muguruza a little less.

Reactions: don_fabio

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Obviously the big names are the popcorn matches. But I'm more interested in how the bottom half of the draw pans out.

Bolsova is ranked 137 in the world and is only 21. She's been playing on clay since March. Alexandrova is ranked 58. She won a match in Nurnberg before falling to Kudermetova. Before that, she'd lost 7 matches in a row. One of those losses was to Kozlova in the Madrid qualies. Kozlova then beat Bolsova to qualify where she beat Zhang and Pliskova before falling to Bencic. One of these two women will make the fourth round. HUGE opportunity.

From what I've just said, the winner of Anisimova/Begu is the more likely player to reach the quarters. Anisimova, is still not 18. Begu has a previous quarter here, just 2 years ago. Anisimova has a chance to make her second straight 4th round at a slam in just her 4th slam (her first slam was here at RG in 2017, as a 15 year old. That doesn't even count.) And in both of them she beat Sabalenka who, until she ran into Anisimova twice, looked to be right behind Osaka as the next big thing. Even if she loses, the RG "Stat Attack" says she's already the youngest American player to reach the 3rd round at RG since Serena at 16 in 1998. Serena actually went on to the 4r round as well. In just her second slam appearance.

But it'll be an interesting 4th round no matter who wins tomorrow and both matches have my attention.

And then Puig/Swiatek because Puig looks to be peaking again and Swiatek is only 18 and I only know her from losing the final to Hercog a few weeks ago. * hopes I'm right about that. Checks to make sure.... Yeah. She lost to Hercog in Lugano. I may pay too close attention to pro tennis. *

Yes. Whoever wins is likely to lose to Halep. But, they still get a shot at her. And Halep still has to beat Tsurenko. Which should not worry her. Especially after Tsurenko had to win 11-9 in the third to start off today.

I'm on upset alert for Osaka against Siniakova. Though I don't think that's how it'll go down. I also think Siniakova could surprise us. She's been pretty bad for a while. But she's got all her doubles experience. And maybe she's rounding back into form. She was definitely dangerous there for a while.

And then, I'm not gonna lie. I'm keeping an eye on Serena v Kenin because while she dealt with Nara fairly simply, Serena is still coming off a long layoff. Doesn't have a lot of match play. Of course a wellspring of confidence is always with her. And she'll probably still win. And I don't know much about Kenin on clay. But she has a title this year and a second final. She's definitely match strong. She can definitely push Serena I think.

Hoping Petkovic/Barty will be a lot of fun.

Reactions: don_fabio

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Naomi gone in straights. I knew she wouldn't win this title against all these seasoned dirtballers. Serena must be licking her chops. She has a pretty clear path (where she can play her B game) to the SF then she would have to raise her level to deal w/ Simona

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hello @tossip

Personally, I miss the Vika who won majors, but it’s understandable that she has changed since giving birth, as has Serena.
hey Tented how are you mes ami.
I said pliskova is not winning and Osaka lost next is Halep because she will not defend..

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Bit surprised that Kia Kanepi is in the fourth rd,especially on clay.Kia has had a lot of injuries in her career,spent time off the tour with achilles problem.
Kaia is very good at Roland Garros and remember her giving Janky and pova problems there..

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well. I missed it because I needed to sleep this morning. But there it is. Siniakova takes out Osaka. I didn't think she'd pull it off. But it's not shocking.

Keys and Blinkova turned out to be a blockbuster. I knew I should have put it on my list. Keys takes it though. Breaks to 15 to win it.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
hey Tented how are you mes ami.
I said pliskova is not winning and Osaka lost next is Halep because she will not defend..

I would never bet on Halep. She has a knack of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory like no one. So, yes, I would be surprised if she defended, except for the fact that top seeds are falling so quickly, clearing a better path.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I would never bet on Halep. She has a knack of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory like no one. So, yes, I would be surprised if she defended, except for the fact that top seeds are falling so quickly, clearing a better path.
I know...Halep can be disappointing at times and at this event I done see her defending.This event woes is a reflection of the WTA inconsistencies.. Osaka Pliskova Kvity Kerber Bertens are all gone....sad sad sad

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Puig just keeps finding a way to hang around. Fighting. But Swiatek does seem to be the better player. Puig serving to stay in it.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Swiatek gets to match point. But Puig saves both. Swiatek with another though. Puig misses the first serve. And Swiatek takes it. Great win for her young career. Puig just not consistent enough. Per the usual.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I know...Halep can be disappointing at times and at this event I done see her defending.This event woes is a reflection of the WTA inconsistencies.. Osaka Pliskova Kvity Kerber Bertens are all gone....sad sad sad

I don’t know if Serena is up to it — physically, I mean. We know she’s capable of anything with her mental strength assuming her body is OK. I hope she wins, though. I want her to get past Margaret Court, and settle this issue once and for all who the greatest is. I already know Serena is, but some people keep mentioning Court because of slam count. It’s stupid, because so many of Court’s titles were pre-open era, at the AO, during a time when the majority of players didn’t even bother going to Australia.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I don’t know if Serena is up to it — physically, I mean. We know she’s capable of anything with her mental strength assuming her body is OK. I hope she wins, though. I want her to get past Margaret Court, and settle this issue once and for all who the greatest is. I already know Serena is, but some people keep mentioning Court because of slam count. It’s stupid, because so many of Court’s titles were pre-open era, at the AO, during a time when the majority of players didn’t even bother going to Australia.

If anyone gets to say they're better than Serena it's Steffi, Chrissy, and Martina. All of us real die hard, day in and day out fans know that Court was great. She fully deserves to be right up there in the pantheon. But she's not above Serena or any of these other three women.

Status
Not open for further replies.