WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Result from SF Thailand Open,

L. Tsurenko won by retirement as Bianca Andreescu retired due to shoulder injury ( will Bianca ever be injury free?) 75 40
L. Zhu defeated X. Wang 62 64

Final,
L. Tsurenko vs L. Zhu

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Can't stand this woman. They should just ban her instead along with any of the others from her country spouting this nonsense.

I saw that post yesterday and didnt have much time to read it, Elina has been very strong in her views regarding this war, which I can understand, though I hope Wimbledon changes their stance this year, and allow players from Russia and Belarus to play, it is not their fault because of the war, Rublev has very strong views this year, he is against the war., openly said so.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lyon Tournament SFs results,
Great result for Alycia Parks, she is into her first WTA final after defeating Maryna Zanveska 63 76(4), 14 indoor wins in a row, new career high #62, she will play Top seed Garcia or Osorio for the title.
C. Garcia (1) defeated C.Osorio 62 62

Final,
C. Garcia (1) vs A.Parks.

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw that post yesterday and didnt have much time to read it, Elina has been very strong in her views regarding this war, which I can understand, though I hope Wimbledon changes their stance this year, and allow players from Russia and Belarus to play, it is not their fault because of the war, Rublev has very strong views this year, he is against the war., openly said so.
Exactly. It's not a war on tennis ffs. She's a disgrace and they're an even bigger disgrace if they give in to people like her. The players she wants banned are playing tennis not firing missiles. Pure idiocy.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Exactly. It's not a war on tennis ffs. She's a disgrace and they're an even bigger disgrace if they give in to people like her. The players she wants banned are playing tennis not firing missiles. Pure idiocy.
There is good news, early talks at All England Club have indicated that Russian and Belarus players, will be able to play on the grass in summer, I have put this news on the ATP News

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
There is good news, early talks at All England Club have indicated that Russian and Belarus players, will be able to play on the grass in summer, I have put this news on the ATP News
Yeah just hoping they don't backtrack but imagine they won't.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah just hoping they don't backtrack but imagine they won't.
I agree, I think there is too much pressure on the All England Club to keep their stance of not allowing Russian and Belarus players to compete on grass this year

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Lyon Tournament SFs results,
Great result for Alycia Parks, she is into her first WTA final after defeating Maryna Zanveska 63 76(4), 14 indoor wins in a row, new career high #62, she will play Top seed Garcia or Osorio for the title.
C. Garcia (1) defeated C.Osorio 62 62

Final,
C. Garcia (1) vs A.Parks.
Is Parks just a WTA 250 /500 level threat ONLY?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Is Parks just a WTA 250 /500 level threat ONLY?
Well she just took the first set in a t/breaker 76 (7) over over the No 4 world ranked player Caroline Garcia, in the final of the Lyon tournament which is a WTA250 level, small steps for Parks, she has been playing well, to me winning a smaller tournament also builds your ranking or making a final, good for your confidence level as well.Parks serve is a big advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well she just took the first set in a t/breaker 76 (7) over over the No 4 world ranked player Caroline Garcia, in the final of the Lyon tournament which is a WTA250 level, small steps for Parks, she has been playing well, to me winning a smaller tournament also builds your ranking or making a final, good for your confidence level as well.
Alyica Parks may win a grand slam before Coco and Keys.. Alyica serve is the closest I have seen to Serena's Thor's hammer. I would suggest that she gets in touch with Serena very soon and she will ascend to the top of the WTA..I love the fact that she doesn't have anyone in her camp or team near her because she doesn't want the extra attention and advice..She wants to do it the "Smith Barney" way..the old fashioned way of problem solving by herself..she has my admiration..

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alyica Parks may win a grand slam before Coco and Keys.. Alyica serve is the closest I have seen to Serena's Thor's hammer. I would suggest that she gets in touch with Serena very soon and she will ascend to the top of the WTA..I love the fact that she doesn't have anyone in her camp or team near her because she doesn't want the extra attention and advice..She wants to do it the "Smith Barney" way..the old fashioned way of problem solving by herself..she has my admiration..
Parks at 22 years old is still 'raw' she still needs to develop in area's, she is handling her own against Garcia at present, looks like the 2nd set will go to a t/breaker as well

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I absolutely detest the French crowds even when Rafa is winning.. History has proven and shown That country is the most spineless coward EVER..

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Alycia Parks winning her first WTA title 76(7) 75 defeating the top seed Caroline Garcia, Parks held her own against the No 1 seed and has played great tennis all week in this indoor arena, her serve is a huge weapon for her Well Done!
With this win Parks will be ranked #51

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I absolutely detest the French crowds even when Rafa is winning.. History has proven and shown That country is the most spineless coward EVER..
Well the tide has turned now for the French crowds who actually love Rafa at RG, it took awhile, Rafa took the high road and ignored their carrying on at RG for years, he has the respect of the French crowds at RG
BTW Caroline is French playing in her home town of course the crowd will be on her side and want her to win:)

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Alycia has a great serve and she did good to win here against Garcia who had the home crowd behind her.She is definitely a late bloomervand with more matches at big events she will get even more confident.Her serve is very accurate and gives flashes of Rena's moneymaker.I hope she keeps her head fixated on her tennis and not be destracted by this newly found attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.