WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'll chalk up her loss to Ostapenko as a bad match. Don't forget that before the AO, Coco won Auckland. If a player like Magda Linette can make a slam semi at nearly 31 years old after never been previously past the 3rd round in any previous slam and has a 43% winning percentage in slams (was 38% prior to the 2023 AO), then an 18-year-old Coco Gauff that has previously been to slam final and has a 70% winning percentage in slams is in more than good enough form to win a slam this year.
Auckland has no bearing on what happened at the AO, yes she came into the AO with a good performance, in saying that Coco had a H2H over Ostapenko., a match she should have won.Coco still has issues to me, fhand, serve, what , happened last year, is last year news,, yes Coco will have points to defend at RG, though to me Iga is still the favorite, and if they meet again, at RG, Iga leads their H2H 5-0.., other surfaces like Wimbledon, you have the likes of Rybakina, I am also going to add Saba, if she can repeat what she did at AO she can be in the mix at Wimbledon, these players hit big and hard also the USA, ditto., they also have good serves.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching young 18 year old Czech player, who I have a lot of wraps on, Linda Noskova who defeated Garbine Muguruza at the Lyon tournament, 61 64, in the match Linda's first serve at times let her down, though her 2nd serve stayed strong. A nice result for Linda.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Okay, let's look ahead 2 years: It's the Monday after the 2025 Australian Open final. Where are Coco Gauff, Linda Noskova, and Linda Fruhvirtova in the world rankings? How many slams does each player have?

I'll start:

Gauff - 3rd, 2 slams
Noskova - 9th, 0 slams
Fruhvirtova - 1st, 3 slams

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It will be an interesting match in Lyon tournament when Linda Noskova #56 plays Mayar Sherif #50, Sherif won by retirement in her match today, though she lead easily in the 1st set.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Thailand Open Tournament
Bianca Andreescu WC and (1) d Harriet Dart 63 64, Bianca had a blip serving for the match, reset served the match out to win.
Bianca and her goals for 2023, " My first thing is to be healthy, because I dont think I have played a full year on tour, results wise,winning another GS would be nice, winning another WTA1000 as well.And then crack the Top 10 by the end of the year".

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Abu Dhabi update:,
OUT: Jabeur...........it appears her lower back injury she sustained before the AO, is not healed as yet
IN: Pliskova

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Lyon Tournament,

Caroline Garcia (1) well she is not playing like the Top seed, struggling at times, she is playing Martincova a Czech player ranked 87
Caroline was up 4-1 in the 1st set, finally managed to win 64.
T/break for the 2nd set, if Garcia's serve is working well, she should be able to win it, though credit to Martincova taking the 2nd set to a t/break.
Garcia d Martincova 64 76(4)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thailand Open tournament,

In a long match T.Zidansek d L.Fruhvirtova (8) 63 46 64,
Linda needs to develop her transition game to the net, at 17 years old, she has time on her side, one of the things I like about her, is that she usually makes good decisions on court.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lyon Tournament,

A nice win for Alycia Parks in 3 sets over Petra Martic (4) 26 76(3) 62

Linda Noskova wins the 1st set over Sherif (6) 63.
A solid win from Linda over Sherif 63 62 ( BTW Linda had to go through qualies for this tournament into the QFs, she should be Top 50 now in the live rankings),

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thailand Tournament,
B. Andreescu (1) defeated A. Zakharova 62 75.....Bianca moves into the QFs with this win., and will play Kostyuk.
This is Bianca's first QF since June 2022 Bad Homburg tournament.

QFs,
B.Andreescu (1) vs M.Kostyuk (5)
T.Zidansek vs L.Zhu
T.Maria (6) vs L. Tsurenko
X.Wang (7) vs H.Watson

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lyon Tournament,
Just watching Caroline Garcia (1) who is playing Alison Van Uytvanck, Garcia lost the 1st set 62....I have no words for Garcia at present.....of course she wakes up and remembers how to play tennis, wins the 2nd set 60
After having a 'huge brain fail' Garcia d Van Uytvanck 26 60 61
QFs,
A.Potapova (5) vs M.Zanovska
C. Garcia (1) vs J. Paolini
D.Kovinic (7) vs A. Parks
L. Noskova vs C.Osorio

Last edited:

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
On a slightly different note, the WTA has scheduled SEVEN tournaments for China and HK, plus the YEC, for the end of 2023.

Does the WTA not read the newspapers, watch the news, have a brain? I understand we should all be optimistic but to put so many events in such a volatile area defies logic. I am not saying China is ready to invade, but who knows what variants are there as far as Covid is concerned. It just puts WTA players in a vulnerable position, should there be a problem the WTA will have to scramble to find new locations for these events. I understand they are big money events but this is very wishful thinking on the part of the WTA.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On a slightly different note, the WTA has scheduled SEVEN tournaments for China and HK, plus the YEC, for the end of 2023.

Does the WTA not read the newspapers, watch the news, have a brain? I understand we should all be optimistic but to put so many events in such a volatile area defies logic. I am not saying China is ready to invade, but who knows what variants are there as far as Covid is concerned. It just puts WTA players in a vulnerable position, should there be a problem the WTA will have to scramble to find new locations for these events. I understand they are big money events but this is very wishful thinking on the part of the WTA.
Hi!
I just went to look at the scheduled on the WTA tournament and it said there was no information at this time including the YEC for the end of 2023

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Results of Thailand QFs.
B. Andreescu (1) d M. Kostyuk (5) 60 76(3)
L. Zhu d T. Zidansek 62 62
L. Tsurenko d T.Maria (6) 61 61
X. Wang (7) d H. Watson 63 67(6) 64

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Players who were at the top of the WTA Ranking for at least 52 consecutive weeks,
C. Evert
M. Navratilova
S. Graf
M. Seles
M. Hingis
S. Wiliams
J. Henin
A. Barty
I. Swiatek

Reactions: Ellentonboy

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT