WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just tuning into the final at Adelaide International 2 between Bencic and Daria
For starters Daria needs a serve, also a weapon if she is going to stay in the Top 10, Bencic has already got a double break in the 1st set,trying to counter punch Bencic wont get the job done Daria, she is controlling the rallies, likes to take the ball early for starters., Bencic 2nd serve can be a problem, Daria needs to attack it when she gets the opportunity.
A complete wipe out by Bencic in the 1st set 60...I remember Bencic playing for Swiss in the United Cup in Brisbane she battled it out with Swiatek in a couple of hours, she lost, though Swiatek had to battle hard to get the win.

Belinda gving Daria a tennis lesson in how to construct a point, use of the whole court,it is the best tennis I have seen from Belinda in awhile, controlled aggression, not wanting to go down the lines all the time, going more cross court, bidding her time, also that fhand has improved, though Daria keeps going to the 'wheel house of Bencic her bhand' Belinda just puts it away.Belinda has also created her own pace in this match.Daria looked to me with no energy in this match, very subdued, she did have a walkover into this final.

Bencic 5-1 2nd set

Brillant Belinda wins the ladies single final in just 67 mins 60 62. over...Daria Kstatkina....best tennis Belinda I have seen from you in awhile well done!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Top 10 ( Monday 16th January)

1. Swiatek
2. Jabeur
3. Pegula
4. Garcia
5. Sabalenka
6. Sakkari
7. Gauff
8. Kasatkina
9. Kudermetova
10 Bencic ( +3)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will look it up she didnt last long :)
The rankings at present are just for the Top Ten, seeing it is Sunday it was adjusted because of the finals singles tournament in Adelaide which Bencic won, the full list will come out tomorrow which is actually Monday 16th January

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Updated news from Ajla Tomljanoivic who had to withdraw from the AO with a knee injury,
Ajla has had a minor procedure on her kee.Ajla will be off the tour for the next few months, she starts rehab soon. Get well Ajla!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AO Ladies Doubles SF results,

Aoyama/Shibahara (10) d Gauff/Pegula (2) 62 76(7)
Krejcikova/Siniakova (1) d Kostyuk/Ruse 62 62

Ladies doubles final will be played on Sunday,
Krejcikova/Siniakova (1) vs Aoyama/Shibahara (10)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
New WTA Top Ten ( Monday 30th January)

1. Swiatek
2. Sabalenka (+3)
3. Jabeur (-1)
4. Pegula (-1_
5. Garcia (-1)
6. Gauff (+1)
7. Sakkari (-1)
8. Kasatkina
9. Bencic (+1)
10. Rybakina (+15)

Last edited:

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
The tour goes on.

Some ladies are playing the Thailand Open, starts tomorrow 7am GMT, with Katie Boulter vs Su Jeong Jang.

Other ladies are playing in Lyon.
Caroline Garcia about 9am.

Never a dull moment

I will watch some of the matches on Amazon Prime.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
New WTA Top Ten ( Monday 30th January)

1. Swiatek
2. Sabalenka (+3)
3. Jabeur (-1)
4. Pegula (-1_
5. Garcia (-1)
6. Gauff (-1)
7. Sakkari (-1)
8. Kasatkina
9. Bencic (+1)
10. Rybakina (+15)
Gauff's rank change is actually a +1. Her world ranking improved from 7th to 6th. (She is going to win a slam in 2023.)

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gauff's rank change is actually a +1. Her world ranking improved from 7th to 6th. (She is going to win a slam in 2023.)
This was based on after the AO, her world ranking is 6th, that was a typo error from me, I will adjust it, after her form at the AO, she needs to improve, did you watch her match at the AO?, against Osta? she had no game plan what so ever, her serve let her down, going on her present from there is no way she can win a GS this year.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The tour goes on.

Some ladies are playing the Thailand Open, starts tomorrow 7am GMT, with Katie Boulter vs Su Jeong Jang.

Other ladies are playing in Lyon.
Caroline Garcia about 9am.

Never a dull moment

I will watch some of the matches on Amazon Prime.
I am glad Andreescu has taken a WC in Thailand she needs match play, if she can re-capture her form of a few years ago, when she had the game to take her to the top of the women's game, injuries have always got in her way,sad to say. Hopefully in 2023, she can be injury free for starters.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am glad Andreescu has taken a WC in Thailand she needs match play, if she can re-capture her form of a few years ago, when she had the game to take her to the top of the women's game, injuries have always got in her way,sad to say. Hopefully in 2023, she can be injury free for starters.
Andreescu needs to condition her body.She looks out of breath each time she has to run a lot.She is very talented and should be playing in the finals against Iga,Saba and Ryba..

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
This was based on after the AO, her world ranking is 6th, that was a typo error from me, I will adjust it, after her form at the AO, she needs to improve, did you watch her match at the AO?, against Osta? she had no game plan what so ever, her serve let her down, going on her present from there is no way she can win a GS this year.
I'll chalk up her loss to Ostapenko as a bad match. Don't forget that before the AO, Coco won Auckland. If a player like Magda Linette can make a slam semi at nearly 31 years old after never been previously past the 3rd round in any previous slam and has a 43% winning percentage in slams (was 38% prior to the 2023 AO), then an 18-year-old Coco Gauff that has previously been to slam final and has a 70% winning percentage in slams is in more than good enough form to win a slam this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.